PDA

View Full Version : USAFA

vkracing
31st Jan 2012, 14:09
hello,
I've recently discovered that USAFA has been accepting international students.
It would be great opportunity for me since it is free. Does anybody of you have any information or experience about USAFA? In case of successful completion of
the course will I be pilot of USAF? Is it worth trying?
(my source Air Force Academy (http://www.academyadmissions.com/) )

thank you

zondaracer
31st Jan 2012, 14:19
The USAFA does accept foreign students but if you are not a US Citizen, you will not be commissioned as an officer in the US Armed Services and you won't be eligible to be a pilot in the US Armed Services. Some international students do become officers in their own country after graduation.

I was a prior USAF Officer and my brother is currently an officer/professor at the USAFA. PM me if you have more questions.

vkracing
31st Jan 2012, 14:39
so there's no chance for me to become plot this way?

zondaracer
31st Jan 2012, 16:25
I didn't say that there is no chance, but your chance of becoming a pilot in the US Military is essentially 0 unless you are US citizen and renounce your previous citizenship. However, if your home country government is willing to credit your experience at the USAFA for entry as a pilot officer in your home country's military, then that would be the most logical answer.

Some of the requirements to be a pilot in the USAF is US citizenship, commission as an officer (which requires US Citizenship), and eligibility for a security clearance which would be hampered by retention of a foreign citizenship.

And for the record, not all (US Citizen) graduates of the USAFA go to pilot training, approximately half (varies on demands of the service).

Are you not eligible for entry as a pilot in the Armed Forces of Georgia?

vkracing
31st Jan 2012, 18:45
Air force has currently been abolished here unfortunately.

Gomrath
4th Feb 2012, 15:39
The website - under the "Prospective Candidates" tab Air Force Academy (http://www.academyadmissions.com/#Page/Prospective_Cadets)
states:
Requirements

The applicant must be:
A United States citizen

C-141Starlifter
4th Feb 2012, 16:01
I confirm what Zonda said. I know this because I ran this program as an Air Attache. To a certain degree. I'm still involved but not in Georgia. If you are interested in this program, please contact the US Defense Attache Office in Tbilisi through the consular e-mail and let them know your desires. Write an outstanding e-mail, with proper spelling, punctuation, etc... The DATT/SDO will more than likely direct you to someone in the Georgian Ministry of Defense...typically these (few allocations) go to members already in the armed forces. Also, the DATT/SDO should be able to let you know if there are any allocations for Georgia. I believe there are as there is a very strong US/Georgia mil-to-mil relationship.
Again, contact the DATT. If you have some troubles, send me a PM.

Embassy of the United States of America

The Embassy is open 9.00 A.M.- 6.00 P.M.
11 George Balanchine Street
Tbilisi, Georgia, 0131
Telephone: (995 32) 227-70-00
Fax: (995 32) 253-23-10
Consular Section Contact Information
Address: # 11 George Balanchine Street
0131 Tbilisi, Georgia
Telephone: (995-32) 227 77 24
American Citizen Services: [email protected]
Non-Immigrant Visas: [email protected] (%[email protected])
Immigrant Visas: [email protected]