PDA

View Full Version : HMS Dauntless...

fantom
31st Jan 2012, 09:50
...going to the Falklands.

Goody, here we go.

Navaleye
31st Jan 2012, 10:21
It could sit 12 miles off any enemy airbase and splash anything that takes off. that should rattle their cages.

Navaleye
31st Jan 2012, 10:37
And Harpoon, although I doubt that will happen. Two Lynx with Sea Skua will have to do.

Tourist
31st Jan 2012, 11:00
It's probably going to the gulf anyway, just messing with the Argentinians for a giggle....

Jayand
31st Jan 2012, 13:14
Fantom, "goody here we go" really?
Ask any of the vetetans from the 82conflict if they share your naive enthusiasm!

fantom
31st Jan 2012, 13:17
Fantom, "oh goody here we go" really?

You are too quick.

Goody 1: We still have something to send,
Goody 2: It is being sent to protect our interests.

Or would you rather we do nothing?

inputshaft
31st Jan 2012, 13:26
Much too much being read into this. According to the BBC story, Dauntless will be routinely deployed to the Falklands in due course.

So, just like HMS Montrose replaced HMS Edinburgh at the end of last year, it sounds like Dauntless will be here when the Montrose has done her time.

Navaleye
31st Jan 2012, 16:19
Enemy only understands one thing which is force and the willingness to use it. The govt are doing the right thing, lets make sure she's tool'd up for the job and let enemy see her off their coast.

WillDAQ
31st Jan 2012, 16:39
On the one hand it could be considered routine.

On the other hand we're replacing a T23 with a T45. Earlier posters in the other thread were commenting on the lack of air defence radar on the islands, Dauntless plugs that gap and allows us to monitor all air traffic right back to the mainland. That's not a replacement, that's an upgrade.

Postman Plod
31st Jan 2012, 17:37
Hmm given that T23 replaced T42, I don't see why replacing T23 with T45 is anything particularly significant given the numbers of T42 left...? As for lack of air defence radar, umm.... maybe I mistook those big golf balls in the hills for something else?

keith williams
31st Jan 2012, 17:42
Are all of her systems actually fitted and functioning or was she obtained through the "Smart Procurement" process?

just another jocky
31st Jan 2012, 18:16
It could sit 12 miles off any enemy airbase and splash anything that takes off. that should rattle their cages.

12 miles...that's a little close for comfort isn't it?

If it was too dangerous to even get airborne, I'd just park the jet on the end of the runway pointing out to sea, makes the Butt (sp?) switch and loose off a couple of anti-ship missiles if that were the case. :}

simon brown
31st Jan 2012, 19:06
I do hope the ijot who decided the Harriers' demise is shuffling nervously in the corridors of power.If it all kicks off and the Argies do lob one onto Stanleys runway scratch the use of 4 Typhoons..wheres our air defence then...you cant rely on one super sophisticated warship. I'd like to think some one somewhere is earning their pay and coming up with a preemptive plan....but somehow I think not...If there are huge oil reserves to be tapped into then we need to bolster the islands defences in the long term.Just how many aircraft could the type 45 defend at the same time anyway?

Stuff
31st Jan 2012, 19:11
Just how many aircraft could the type 45 defend at the same time anyway?

You really want the answer to that on an open forum?

HaveQuick2
31st Jan 2012, 19:27
Quote:
Just how many aircraft could the type 45 defend at the same time anyway?

But, how many combat capable anti-ship aircraft could Argentina REALISTICALLY sortie at one time anyway?

cokecan
31st Jan 2012, 19:39
HQ2,

depends how much warning they get, and how much they get to hit the credit card for spares.

despite all the nay-sayers about slagging the argentines down for being chaotic and unable to shoot themselves in the foot, let alone invade, there's only one country invovled in this dispute that has doubled its defence budget in the last two years, and they haven't bought any tanks.

the open sourse stuff i've read suggests twenty airworthy fast jets with 10 or so those at some degree or other of combat capability. the problem is of course that the FI AD set-up won't be able to tell which jets are merely airworthy, and which are dangerous. any RAF officer who couldn't come up with a plan to do the deed with those assets facing an adversary with four fast jets, probably quite restrictive ROE, one tanker, one runway and no AWACS ought to be applying for redundancy...

ZH875
31st Jan 2012, 19:39
And which ship will replace HMS Dauntless, the day after Flt Lt Wales finishes his detachment?

Flying Serpent
31st Jan 2012, 19:47
If it all kicks off and the Argies do lob one onto Stanleys runway scratch the use of 4 Typhoons..wheres our air defence then

Probably operating from the same airfield that the AD force has been using for..oh..about 25 years. Clue..it's not Stanley.

:ugh::ugh:

Easy Street
31st Jan 2012, 20:08
If it all kicks off and the Argies do lob one onto Stanleys runway scratch the use of 4 Typhoons..wheres our air defence then

Probably operating from the same airfield that the AD force has been using for..oh..about 25 years. Clue..it's not Stanley.Not only that - MPA could take an absolute pounding before there isn't enough concrete left for a Typhoon to get airborne off a minimum operating strip. With the number of aircraft available to the Argies, airfield denial would need a comprehensive GPS-guided bomb plot to 'plink' all the critical intersections and taxyways. A 'lucky' bomb from a stick straddling the runway just won't cut it - success with dumb bombs would required dozens and dozens of missions to get over the target, highly unlikely I would suggest...

It's almost like they designed it that way :ok:

barnstormer1968
31st Jan 2012, 20:41
Not only that - MPA could take an absolute pounding before there isn't enough concrete left for a Typhoon to get airborne off a minimum operating strip. With the number of aircraft available to the Argies, airfield denial would need a comprehensive GPS-guided bomb plot to 'plink' all the critical intersections and taxyways. A 'lucky' bomb from a stick straddling the runway just won't cut it - success with dumb bombs would required dozens and dozens of missions to get over the target, highly unlikely I would suggest...

It's almost like they designed it that way http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Probably did design it that way...........Which makes it such a shame that any attacker from any country (unless they were 'light blue' minded attackers) would not waste their time bothering to attack the concrete runway/taxiways.

It does get a bit silly listening to folks wondering how any baddies would prevent aircraft from operating by using other aircraft, when for many years there have been VERY cheap and VERY quick and easy ways to render all Falklands airfields useless for defence in about 10-20 minutes (by green minded attackers). Plus, by simply destrying aircraft on the ground, or as they leave the threshold it then leaves the strip usable for the new occupiers.

I have heard many stories from light blue or green airfield defenders how naughty men in cammed up faces can get in and around airfields pretty easily........I wonder if the Argentinians have thought about using men like this....Of course they have......And with modern kit they don't even have to get close to guarantee destroying the aircraft.

Jayand
31st Jan 2012, 21:07
Sorry to dampen all you warmongerers but lets be honest there wont be another war down there anytime soon! Dauntless is just a gentle reminder.

cokecan
31st Jan 2012, 21:17
Jayand,

could you sort me out with fridays eurolottery numbers - but by PM is you can, i don't want to share it with all these perverts and drunkards!

WillDAQ
31st Jan 2012, 23:06
12 miles...that's a little close for comfort isn't it?

If it was too dangerous to even get airborne, I'd just park the jet on the end of the runway pointing out to sea, makes the Butt (sp?) switch and loose off a couple of anti-ship missiles if that were the case. :}

Amazingly it can shoot down missiles as well as aircraft.

I think the problem is that the advances in technology aren't readily obvious, but suffice to say that a single T45 is more capable in the air defence role than everything sent down in 82.

racedo
31st Jan 2012, 23:16
Amazingly it can shoot down missiles as well as aircraft.

I think the problem is that the advances in technology aren't readily obvious, but suffice to say that a single T45 is more capable in the air defence role than everything sent down in 82.

Thats all fine but 40 missiles followed by same followed by same and pretty much end of ball game as MOD is not keeping hundreds on board.

Relying on defence assets is great but they all have to work at the same time and keep doing so................

Daysleeper
1st Feb 2012, 06:27
Lets hope they've issued this ship more than 4 missiles...:hmm:

downsizer
1st Feb 2012, 08:05
And lets hope the CIWS/Phalanx/Goalkeepers have finally been fitted too....

hval
1st Feb 2012, 12:43
Phalanx fitted last summer.

glad rag
1st Feb 2012, 20:14
ust how many aircraft could the type 45 defend at the same time anyway?

Hmm whether she runs out of reloads or targets first methinks....

pr00ne
1st Feb 2012, 20:22
Seeing as how no Navy has EVER had to face an attack by anywhere near 40 missiles at the same time in the missile age I think that T45 with its 48 Sea Vipers will be fine. Isn't that more missiles than the Argentines have fast jets?

polyglory
1st Feb 2012, 20:35
Lets hope the bean counters have given them a full magazine and a few reloads.

Otherwise it's cowpats at 25 yards:E

racedo
1st Feb 2012, 21:08
Seeing as how no Navy has EVER had to face an attack by anywhere near 40 missiles at the same time in the missile age I think that T45 with its 48 Sea Vipers will be fine. Isn't that more missiles than the Argentines have fast jets?

No Navy ever lost a ship to an airplane until the 1st one.........

Just because something hasn't been done doesn't mean it will never be done.

USS Cole lost out to something a lot less than a missile.

Tankertrashnav
1st Feb 2012, 21:13

Maybe so, but eggs and baskets spring to mind in this scenario.

Milo Minderbinder
1st Feb 2012, 21:16
48 missiles but only 8 launchers?
How fast can it reload?
DON'T answer that - hypothetical / rhetorical point only

FODPlod
1st Feb 2012, 22:28
"48 missiles but only 8 launchers?"

Irrespective of your question being "hypothetical / rhetorical", what launchers and what reload? The Type 45 has a VLS (Vertical Launch System) incorporating silos. 48 Sea Vipers in a VLS is a vast improvement on a twin launcher with 22 Sea Darts (Type 42 Batches 2 & 3) or 40 Sea Darts (Type 42 Batch 3).

The classic layer-defence system would have CAP taking out most of the shooters (air or surface) before they got within target acquisition / identification range anyway leaving the Type 45 to deal with any leakers with its hard kill and soft kill countermeasures.

WillDAQ
2nd Feb 2012, 09:21
48 missiles but only 8 launchers?
How fast can it reload?
DON'T answer that - hypothetical / rhetorical point only

Each launcher has 8 slots and there are 6 on the deck, hence 48 slots.

Should the entire Argentine air force arrive, all 48 could be fired in 10 seconds.

Not_a_boffin
2nd Feb 2012, 18:08
The classic layer-defence system would have CAP taking out most of the shooters (air or surface) before they got within target acquisition / identification range anyway

Anyone care to spot the obvious capability holiday?

WillDAQ
3rd Feb 2012, 10:56
before they got within target acquisition / identification range anyway

Bear in mind that target acquisition is now 'when they take off', so unless you're planning a bombing mission on the mainland I don't see how that would work.

Jabba_TG12
6th Feb 2012, 11:54
Are all of her systems actually fitted and functioning or was she obtained through the "Smart Procurement" process?

My thoughts exactly.

"for many years there have been VERY cheap and VERY quick and easy ways to render all Falklands airfields useless for defence in about 10-20 minutes (by green minded attackers)."

Quite.

FODPlod
6th Feb 2012, 13:10
...for many years there have been VERY cheap and VERY quick and easy ways to render all Falklands airfields useless for defence in about 10-20 minutes (by green minded attackers).Shout "Fore!" and use a driver off the tee?

GreenKnight121
7th Feb 2012, 01:07
The T-45 has no "launchers", irregardless of what that article mistakenly says.

The VLS cells come in a "box" of 6, there are 8 "boxes" aboard... but all 48 cells have their own lid, and the missiles inside can fire independently of any other cell.

FODPlod
7th Feb 2012, 07:50
A picture tells a thousand words (although this is Daring, not Dauntless):

http://www.navynews.co.uk/assets/upload/files/12020301ax-2.jpg
(Navy News photo by LA(Phot) Keith Morgan of HMS Daring)

FODPlod
7th Feb 2012, 09:17
What we have here is a T45 crewed by mostly inexperienced 18 - 24 year olds operating systems WAY beyond their understanding or training. I would not like to be the Captain of that ship when things get hairy.... Unless this is a wind-up, you're not very savvy about the Royal Navy, are you?

500N
7th Feb 2012, 09:51
Welcome back SAMXXV

I see it hasn't taken long for you to post and someone to post straight afterwards
questioning the accuracy of it.

KiloB
7th Feb 2012, 10:27
There has been lots of comment in this Thread about the '45s abilities against 'Air'. But what capacity do they have against Surface Threats, just the 4.5? I presume South America can potentially rustle up at least a couple of Frigates with 4.5s of their own?

Google tells me Harpoon is a 'designed in' option, but is not fitted; and has never been tested. I wouldn't like to rely on it as a 'Plug and Play' System until it has.

KB

cornish-stormrider
7th Feb 2012, 10:29
Yaaaay, the clown is back. I have missed you clown.
Its been a little quiet without our mad musings........
You STILL have not replied to my challenge you know.....
I think you owe the fishheads an apology......

As to all your other "predictions" we wait with warmed popcorn:E

WillDAQ
7th Feb 2012, 10:35
There has been lots of comment in this Thread about the '45s abilities against 'Air'. But what capacity do they have against Surface Threats, just the 4.5? I presume South America can potentially rustle up at least a couple of Frigates with 4.5s of their own?

Google tells me Harpoon is a 'designed in' option, but is not fitted; and has never been tested. I wouldn't like to rely on it as a 'Plug and Play' System until it has.

KB

It's carrying 1 or 2 Lynx and one would imagine there is something lurking about under the waves nearby.

Navaleye
7th Feb 2012, 13:04
Two Sea Squa armed Lynx is a pretty potent ASuW capability. Remember the enemy has no long range SAM capability so it would be a turkey shoot. There is a sanction that HMG could and should take which could disable their navy. That is for Rolls Royce to stop supporting and servicing the engines for their frigates and corvettes. They would become unusable quite quickly with no spares.

500N
7th Feb 2012, 13:11
Chavez could be a problem as someone said above.

They have quite a formidable armed forces, at least on paper.

Jayand
7th Feb 2012, 13:44
Sam, are you going to try and justify your statement?
What training do you think they do if it is not operating and understanding their weapons
System?
Quite bluntly you are an idiot.

cokecan
7th Feb 2012, 14:35
Navaleye,

the four Argentine MEKO destroyers are all armed with Aspide SAM - the range of which is, according to the half-dozen sources i found, somewhere between 20km and 75km.

the accepted range of Sea Skua is between 20 and 25km.

i'm not sure that allows us to be overly sanguine about the RN's ability to negate enemy surface vessels. we should also bear in mind that Argentina has three reasonably effective German built SSK's - it is therefore possible that our T45 is going to be a bit busy keeping them at arms length, rather than fcuking about with surface strike missions.

WillDAQ
7th Feb 2012, 16:25
Navaleye,

the four Argentine MEKO destroyers are all armed with Aspide SAM - the range of which is, according to the half-dozen sources i found, somewhere between 20km and 75km.

the accepted range of Sea Skua is between 20 and 25km.

As they're both MBDA products (as is Sea Viper) i'd imagine the numbers have been run...

cokecan
7th Feb 2012, 16:48
WillDAQ,

i don't doubt the numbers have been run - what matters is whether SS has a bigger number than Aspide, and merely running the numbers doesn't make that so.

Navaleye
7th Feb 2012, 17:09
The newest of the Argentine warships are 26 years old. Aspide is is a surface launched AIM-7 its range at sea level would level would be 9 miles. If it worked.

glad rag
7th Feb 2012, 17:54
Aspide is is a surface launched AIM-7

Wot Sea Sparrow? they are pretty handy at taking out your allies ships bridges, that's for sure......:}

Charlie Time
7th Feb 2012, 18:20
This thread does amuse me with the gross inaccuracies posted by some and general lack of naval knowledge. Waiting the next sweeping statement with interest.

Milo Minderbinder
7th Feb 2012, 18:30
Something about these T45s that I don't quite understand. I presume I've missed out on some key information somewhere....
There are repeated comments about 400 mile radar range, and being able to "take the Argentine aircraft out as they leave their airfields"..... so without breaching secrets, how does that work? That range is beyond the curvature of the horizon. Do we finally really have a working OTH backscatter radar? If so that makes any kind of AWACS / AEW redundant. (And incidentally removes or reduces the need for catapults in the carriers...)
Or is it all marketing wishful thinking?

Not_a_boffin
7th Feb 2012, 19:03
Most of it is b8llocks.

The LRR has a nominal range of 400 klicks, but only in a straight line (ie at height) and does not provide track info for Sea Viper.

Sea Viper as we must now call Aster 15/30 has a range in the several tens of nm.

WillDAQ
8th Feb 2012, 10:29
so without breaching secrets, how does that work?

As luck would have it Argentine coastal waters don't extend 400 miles offshore...

Navaleye
8th Feb 2012, 14:01
I would not under estimate the Meko 360, but they have not been updated since purchase and still employ 1970s technology. Unless the enemy has purchased new Aspide missiles (which are no longer made) or refurbished their existing stock, I doubt they would work as they would be time expired long ago.

Marcantilan
8th Feb 2012, 21:29
I don´t want to be involved in the anti-Argentine arguing. Just to point that the Aspides were healthy now.

Electronics, warheads and such were updated back in 2007 / 2008.

Destroyer La Argentina (Meko 360 class) "birds away" on november 2008.

http://www.gacetamarinera.com.ar/archivos/notas_imgs/612_tiro4_a.jpg

Finally, another little correction, the most modern ship in Argentine Navy (ARA) is ARA Gomez Roca, a Meko 140 corvette active since May 2004 (8 years old).

Again, I am not comparing those ships with a Type 45 and I am not arguing about war and such. I am sure that all of this could be settled with gainings for all parties involved.

Regards!

althenick
8th Feb 2012, 22:06
Never mind the UK's conventional forces may be under subcribed to but whatever Argentina throws at the Falkland Islands wont cut it with one of these... :E

http://ladyraine.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/sub-louisiana.gif?w=500

Having said that i've heard that the Rad Background count in Beunos Aries is quite high anyway ;)

BTW - I'm just joking ok

... I hope

Cpt_Pugwash
8th Feb 2012, 22:31
Althenick,
You may jest, but the UK Vanguard class do carry a sub-strategic warhead on some missiles, so the rad count would not rise appreciably ..

there's a lot of kinetic energy even without the sunshine.

See para 41. of this link (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmdfence/986/98605.htm)

rjtjrt
9th Feb 2012, 03:03
I am impressed at how the lessons of history are forgotten.
Wasn't it a certain HMS Renown and HMS Prince of Wales that were thought to be invincible to all attack, that were steaming up the coast of Malaya in WWII. The small, glasses wearing Japanese were to be no match for the might of the RN and Britain.
The invincibility of the Daring class is not yet proven, even with all these jingoistic posts about one ship taking out all Argentine airforce single handed.
This is not to say the Daring class aren't very impressive warships.

John

orca
9th Feb 2012, 04:05
I take your point about lessons being forgotten, because they always seem to be, but I'll disagree with you if I may.

The sinking of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse serves to show those that do not change with the times that obsolescence in warfare can be very painful.

Does it show that ships are incredibly vulnerable to air attack? Well, no. It shows that they were. The RN believed in the battleship whilst modern and excellent brains such as Mitchell knew they were out moded. But times have moved on again, as they tend to.

Maybe those that think an attack by manned aerial systems (aeroplanes to you and I) will finish off a warship, because it did in WW2, are those with the legacy mindset these days.

I would love to see the brief for a crack at a Type 45 in the open ocean. Ugly scenes.

rjtjrt
9th Feb 2012, 06:07
orca
Quite right - it was Repulse and Prince of Wales.
John

cokecan
9th Feb 2012, 07:37
Orca, while you are correct, perhaps you are wrong as well.

Repulse and PoW were optimised for surface warfare, because thats what we decided was the big thing. Dauntless is optomised for Air warfare - and is not exactly overflowing with surface or sub-surface capabilities - because, again, we have decided that Air warfare is 'the thing'.

of neither occasion did we bother to consider what our enemies would consider to be 'the thing'.

but of course i must be wrong, because the MOD is an acknowledged world leader in learning from the past, clear thinking, putting itself in the enemies shoes, and anticipating future threats

hval
9th Feb 2012, 10:45
Marcantilan,

Thank you for posting.

Believe it or not, none of us are anti Argentinian; well I suspect no one is. What I, and many others, are somewhat upset at is President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner with her hectoring, bullying, threatening manners. It would appear that she wants war.

oldmansquipper
9th Feb 2012, 11:17
As I recall In the cold war, certain UK NATO declared airfields were defended with around 16 Bloodhound and 20 Rapier SAMs. The nice friendly chaps just across the border had only obsolete and agricultural ground attack jets. Unfortunately - they were likely to be throwing around 100-150 of these at each base....100 minus 36 = 64 It was an equation we were not particularly happy with. War exercise scenarios were lasting only 3 days and were always ending in tears...

How many obsolete and agricultural jets are available to certain South American countries? Not many I hope....

Too difficult? - Tell you what - let`s just ignore decimal point positioning and spend 42 billon to save RBS funding it from the 4.2 billion cut from Defence. You know it makes sense.:ugh:

Widger
9th Feb 2012, 11:26
Its a bit of a silly game being played by Ms Kirchner at the moment which has no outcome other than to stir up emotions. A more sensible solution would be to remove any claim to Las Malvinas and offer to support the industry developing mineral and oil extraction, including the development of terminals and facilities in Argentina. Argentina will then reap some of the economic benefits of such an approach and before you know it, the Falklands would be populated with sapnish speaking workers and the whole issue would go away!

Notwithstanding this, I think the bigger issue is further south and the Falklands are the closest deepwater port and airfield to territory that is claimed by several nations and has potentially vast riches under the ice.

Marcantilan
9th Feb 2012, 12:35
"somewhat upset at is President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner with her hectoring, bullying, threatening manners"

Not involving (again) in the main issue, I must say that her manners are as you describe. With that manners, she deals with internal affairs also. I couldn´t stand watching her on TV, even when is speaking about meat pricing...

Regards!

500N
9th Feb 2012, 12:46
Widger

"Notwithstanding this, I think the bigger issue is further south and the Falklands are the closest deep water port and airfield to territory that is claimed by several nations and has potentially vast riches under the ice."

That is certainly going to get interesting in the future and the Falkland Islands are well placed to possibly capitalise on it.

Mortmeister
10th Feb 2012, 19:56
All this ranting and raving about Dauntless, the press seem to think she is steaming south at high speed, guns blazing! Saw her this afternoon peacefully at anchor whilst still undergoing the rigours of FOST.

In response to the previous inquiry, still no Phalanx CIWS. Daring got hers, but none of the others yet.

Mighty impressive looking ships though, especially at full chat!!!!

STANDTO
12th Feb 2012, 09:15
does one not just lie an Astute Class somewhere nearby and lob Tomahawks at significant mainland targets until the threat is neutralised.

Not as a pre-emptive strike, but in response to aggression.

Just a thought

Harley Quinn
12th Feb 2012, 09:22
You mean the only Astute class boat in service.
Too many posters fail to realise there are some big gaps out there at the moment, the government promises by 2020 all will be well.
Wilson said a week was a long time in politics; personally I fear that 8 years is an effing long time in international politics.

And yes I know things will get better and our 'can do' armed forces will but the whole SDSR is surely tempting fate especially as the cuts really start to bite; I refer you to the HCDC Report on Libya.

A and C
12th Feb 2012, 09:33
Having watched the Argentinian ambassador to the UK giving the press conference last week I can only say what a joke his claims of UK militarization of the South Atlantic are, he talked of the increased threat of the new equipment that has been deployed by the UK but ignores the fact that the older equipment has been withdrawn from service.

Any neutral observer will see the accusations by the ambassador to be a gross manipulation of the facts for home consumption, the likelihood is that he has been instructed to ramp this up to distract from bad news that the Argentinian government would like to hide.

The UK should just keep a cool head, carry on as normal in the Falkland islands and have a hunter killer submarine lurking west of the islands

Charlie Time
12th Feb 2012, 10:20
Doesn't have to be Astute class to provide a TLAM capability.

WE Branch Fanatic
12th Apr 2012, 17:51
HMS Dauntless deployed last week (http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and-Events/Latest-News/2012/April/04/120404-Daunless-A-big-send-off).

So much for the usual media suspects claiming that the Type 45 would never deploy. She even did a bit of SAR (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-17645424) on her way.

500N
12th Apr 2012, 18:06
"Does it show that ships are incredibly vulnerable to air attack? Well, no. It shows that they were. The RN believed in the battleship whilst modern and excellent brains such as Mitchell knew they were out moded. But times have moved on again, as they tend to.

Maybe those that think an attack by manned aerial systems (aeroplanes to you and I) will finish off a warship, because it did in WW2, are those with the legacy mindset these days.

I would love to see the brief for a crack at a Type 45 in the open ocean. Ugly scenes."

And what happens if and when they then have to be positioned in another "Bomb Alley" location and one or two systems of line for whatever reason ?

Seems the Argies did OK with Iron Bombs 30 years ago and would have done even better if they had got the fusing correct.

cornish-stormrider
12th Apr 2012, 18:11
Yep and I'm sure that the 1SL or whoever is in charge of boats has been told - we cannot retake the FI, ensure you do not lose them.

Don't forget there is a few more troops on the islands than before - all they have to do down there is drink, train, drink, exercise, etc - if push came to shove I would put a fair chunk on any invasion force given a really bloody nose - typhoon or no.....

And yep, any T boat "down that way" or on long patrol will have a set of charts for going south to be noticably not there.

Subs are the best offense/defense weopon to degrade land/sea targets.
Unless the captain "parks" the sub on a scottish sandbar they do not get easily spotted.

if you can't find it you can't hit it.

500N
12th Apr 2012, 18:22
"if you can't find it you can't hit it."

Satellite technology ?

Just because the Argies don't have it, doesn't mean they don't have access to it.

China would be the one I would put the $$$$ on to provide for some trade off against other resources from the South American block since they are one of he biggest spenders.

Ivan Rogov
12th Apr 2012, 19:21
Nice to see some good posts from well-mannered Argentinian Ppruners, demonstrating nicely that the only real difference between us is that we live in different places.
Both countries press and politicians choose to vilify the other, they create the 'enemy', the egos can't back down we are called in, anyone here wishing for a War is an absolute and utter idiot, it doesn't matter how 'smart' your equipment is people still die on both sides. I'm pretty sure some of our kit was touted as state of the art back in 1982 until it was shown to be sadly lacking.

BTW air is not the only way to sink a ship, if you don't want them to know you are coming these are quite good

Argentine Submarine Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_Submarine_Force)

Argentine submarines and British ASW (http://malvinasconflict.devhub.com/blog/579264-argentine-submarines-and-british-asw/)

of course the Type 45 is great at ASW and has a Type 23 or two for 24 hour cover :uhoh:

PingDit
13th Apr 2012, 02:14
Argie subs? Not a problem, we'll just send a couple of Nimro....
Oh, hang-on...
Bugger!