PDA

View Full Version : XV 179 : 7 years ago today....

Kengineer-130
30th Jan 2012, 19:57
7 years ago today, on the 30st January 2005 at 1330Z the crew and passenger of the Hercules C130K, callsign Hilton 22 (XV179) were flying north-west from Baghdad International Airport. They were en-route to Balad when the aircraft received sustained gunfire from an insurgent team over whom they had unwittingly flown. The aircraft suffered a catastrophic failure following this assault when an explosion caused twenty three feet of the starboard wing to detach, outboard of number 4 engine.

The aircraft crashed killing all ten men on board;

Sqn Ldr Pat “Paddy” Marshall,
Flt Lt David “Steady” Stead,
Flt Lt Andy “Smudge” Smith,
Flt Lt Paul “Pards” Pardoel,
MEng Gary “Gary Nic” Nicholson,
Flt Sgt Mark “Gibbo” Gibson,
Chf Tech Ritchie “Delia” Brown,
Sgt Bob “Logical Bob” O’Connor,
Cpl David Williams,
L/Cpl “Jonah” Jones.

RIP chaps have a cold one for us... Gone but never forgotten :(

November4
30th Jan 2012, 21:57
Was at the National Arboretum the last week.

http://www.rafmams.co.uk/NA.jpg

US Herk
30th Jan 2012, 23:55
RIP, lads. You made a difference and you are missed.

Geehovah
31st Jan 2012, 06:59
I'll raise a glass to them this evening. RIP chaps.

higthepig
31st Jan 2012, 07:04
Paddy, RIP mate. I'll raise a glass tonight.

isaneng
31st Jan 2012, 07:33
Glass duly raised, and a little smile at good memories with all of them. Never more so at subsequently seeing the mess hall named after Gibbo, a somewhat ironic and humorous gesture...... RIP lads.

Ivor Fynn
31st Jan 2012, 08:24
Rest in Peace, Paddy.

Ivor

Arbie
31st Jan 2012, 13:54
Andy, I'll always stop by whenever I'm up north. RIP.

Pavehawk69
31st Jan 2012, 19:11
Per Ardua Ad Astra

bobn
31st Jan 2012, 19:16
On the western sea wall path at Thorney Island are two memorial seats. One is in memory of Steve Jones. A peaceful and fitting place for the memorial given TI's history. For anyone in the area, the footpath around the island is well worth the walk.
I tried to upload a picture but couldn't. Probably cos I'm a probationary ppruner.

RIP guys

Gentleman Aviator
2nd Feb 2012, 08:44
I had the pleasure to earn my wings with Steady, then join him on LXX before he moved across the building to 47.

Just a great guy, a top bloke.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

Yeller_Gait
3rd Feb 2012, 09:38
To FLTLT Pards Pardoel

I never knew you, but you were mentioned today by one of your ex-colleagues during our refresher CRM. Maybe gone, but certainly not forgotten.

Y_G

L J R
3rd Feb 2012, 11:23
RIP to them all. Esp colleagues Pards and Paddy.

glum
4th Feb 2012, 14:23
Never forgotten. RIP boys.

ExHerkmate
30th Jan 2013, 12:23
In my cups freshly remembered today.
RIP Friends,
Brian

propulike
30th Jan 2013, 13:46
Remembered here too. So hard to believe that in some ways 8 years has flown past, yet this still stings like yestrday.

God bless boys.

ksimboy
30th Jan 2013, 14:04
Never forgotten. R.I.P. gentlemen and friends

Tashengurt
30th Jan 2013, 14:35
RIP Dave.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

54Phan
30th Jan 2013, 15:23
It may not be generally known that XV179 was the Hercules sent to Toronto back in September 1995 to repatriate the bodies of the crew of Nimrod XV239.

I remember watching it climb out over Toronto taking them home and feeling very moved by the poignancy of the moment.

I was very sad to learn of its later loss in action.

RIP gentlemen.

US Herk
30th Jan 2013, 18:42
Always remembered...I raise my glass in their honor.

Dengue_Dude
30th Jan 2013, 18:46
RIP to all.

Especially Gary, definitely not forgotten.

Ivor Fynn
30th Jan 2013, 18:48
Talk about you often Paddy. Not forgotten.

Ivor

airsound
30th Jan 2013, 18:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SK3YV5E1ZQ

airsound

TAC Queen
30th Jan 2013, 19:06
Thinking of them today and talk about them often. Toasting the honour that I laughed and drank with most of them.

bwfg3
30th Jan 2013, 19:14
Seems like yesterday,

R.I.P Gary Nick , Great bloke, great friend.

Definitely 'Man A'

Man B

Always a Sapper
30th Jan 2013, 19:42
Some quiet reflection on past events took place in the office today, XV179 always remembered.

Tbh it's strange being there these days, so quiet. Silly I know, but it sometimes seems like there's a ghost about when they fire up the test rig on D site.

TangoBravo
30th Jan 2013, 21:35
RIP guys. You all will always be remembered. I often think of you Gary, one of the finest blokes I ever met.

fergineer
31st Jan 2013, 05:09
Remembering with fondness Gary and Gibbo

bakseetblatherer
31st Jan 2013, 05:41
RIP to all, and thoughts to their friends and families

I met Steady when I was holding on 47 Sqn, had a good freebie trip to Cyprus with him, my first proper RAF hit out overseas, drinking a toast tonight to you and the others Steady

smujsmith
31st Jan 2013, 17:54
I had the Honour of flying with both Gary Nick and Gibbo, many times. I have not the words to describe the sadness I feel at the loss of such great mates. Always in my memory as are all of the crew on days like this.

It's bloody sad to remember "good mates" in this way. Like many, I have great memories of serving with some of these guys. I bow my head and hope that their brave efforts will not die with them, non omnis moriar.

L Tech FS
31st Jan 2013, 19:21
I had the pleasure of meeting and working/training with both David and Richie and will raise a glass to them and the rest of the crew at the weekend

On_The_Top_Bunk
1st Feb 2013, 10:47
Some of the nicest people I had the pleasure to work with and so many great memories.

Smuj,
I was first introduced to Gary with your good self at St Mawgan when you injured yourself and you were replaced by Pete E

I was scarred for life so thought I would have a go at the old GE lark.

The Gorilla
1st Feb 2013, 15:06
Never Forgotten..

smujsmith
1st Feb 2013, 17:08
Say not, the struggle nought availeth,
The labour and the wounds are vain,
The enemy faints not, nor faileth,
And as things have been they remain.

If hopes were dupes, fears may be liars;
It may be, in yon smoke concealed,
Your comrades chase e'en now the fliers,
And, but for you, possess the field.

For while the tired waves, vainly breaking,
Seem here no painful inch to gain,
Far back, through creeks and inlets making,
Comes silent, flooding in, the main.

And not by eastern windows only,
When daylight comes, comes in the light,
In front, the sun climbs slow, how slowly,
But westward, look, the land is bright.

By ARTHUR HUGH CLOUGH

God Bless the lads

Just This Once...
1st Feb 2013, 17:23
Time has not diminished how much I miss these guys.

'Puff The Magic Dragon' was on the radio earlier this week - for those that know.

bakseetblatherer
30th Jan 2014, 05:23
Rest In Peace guys, thinking of your friends and families

Le chat de factoire
30th Jan 2014, 10:05
Gone but never forgotten,was on the line when news came,at piano burning ceremony,very emotional night back then many a hangover and tears that night.Forever etched in my memory.Greatly missed by all.

glum
30th Jan 2014, 11:33
Definitely not forgotten, and the lump in the throat today is as big as the day the news came in.

Horrid.

Hope ATC up there are treating you well, and the techie pies as tasty as ever.

US Herk
30th Jan 2014, 15:04
RIP lads...never forgotten

higthepig
30th Jan 2014, 18:35
RIP Paddy, not forgotten

smujsmith
30th Jan 2014, 20:56
I'm getting older, but my mates who died on that aircraft are not. I live in a street near to where Gibbo lived, every day I return home and think about him as I pass his turn off. Gary Nicholson, Bob and god bless them, the rest of the crew. We do remember them !

Smudge

The Gorilla
30th Jan 2014, 21:35
Never Forgotten, I lay a memorial for them every year in York, I pass it every day I go to work...

propulike
31st Jan 2014, 00:35
Glass raised once again. Once again a surprise that another year has passed so quickly. Once again a reminder that some memories don't fade.

God bless.

RaPs
31st Jan 2014, 10:30
The correct date was Sunday 30th January 2005, 9 years ago yesterday.
Remembered every day. Thanks Airsound for that fitting tribute.

airsound
31st Jan 2014, 12:03
For anyone here who doesn’t know RaPs, I would just like to say that they epitomise the highest order of courage, dignity and steadfastness under extreme sorrow.

It has been a huge honour to have been involved with them and their tragedy, even from my distant periphery.

airsound

Alison Conway
31st Jan 2014, 12:43
Long years ago I put Gary back together after a harsh training "experience". It was a pleasure. He made me laugh; life was for living - and we did. We were bollocked by the Sqn Cdr once for "conduct unbecoming" after a TACEVAL, and I had massive difficulty not bursting out with laughter at the look on his face. The last time I saw him was when we delayed out of Akrotiri to bring his crew home after their latest sojourn to he sand. When I went back to talk to him he was asleep. I didn't have the heart to wake him to catch up.........Oh! how I wish I had done so. Sleep peacefully, Gary, I shall hoist several in your memory in Swindon tonight.

fergineer
31st Jan 2014, 21:49
Thinking as always of them.

classjazz
1st Feb 2014, 12:41
Ah yes - 179. Of all aircraft, that should be the one to cause the demise of those
guys. It used to be the bane of my life in the old days when we did the Changi slip and it WAS in the days before we carried a ground engineer.
Gary was a student I flew with during one of my tours as an instructor.
Always brings it home to you when you know one of the people concerned.
We lost a few people in the earlier days but you never get used to it.