PDA

View Full Version : PETROPAVLOVSK-KAM., ANADYR and PADK airports

Klimax
28th Jan 2012, 14:45
Hopefully I'll have a rare opportunity to fly to these places, and have one night stop at each (not PADK unfortunately I think), and are therefore very interested in hearing about anything of interest, like special precautions, ground handling advice, what to do-and-not-to-do etc.

We need over-wing Jet A1 etc. and our planning operations are taking care of planning details like that.

I'm just looking for good heads-ups if anybody would care to elaborate on previous experiences.. Thanks.

Flights will be in mid-April on wards through out Northern Hemp. summer time.

Many thanks
Klimax

PS. not expecting many replies - but if you dont ask... :ok:

ksjc
28th Jan 2012, 15:22
I've used Petro for tech stop several times. Never stayed overnight though.

Petro is in a broad valley at sea level but surrounded by very high terrain. Nearest suitable alternate Magadan is several hundred miles away if i recall. Concrete runway has very wide seams...will rattle your teeth. Handling is what you would expect....good but not great. They use to mandate a visit to the weather office for a complete briefing even during tech stops...add 30 minutes. Not sure this is still the case though. As with many parts of the world a simple token gift and some $$ will grease the skids.

I would like to have stayed a day to explore as it looks like an interesting area.

galaxy flyer
28th Jan 2012, 22:28
I've overnighted, three to be precise, at Petro. The Hotel Avacha or Hotel Pertopavlovsk, unless something's changed, which I doubt. Avacha is nearer to the harbor and downtown, if that matters. As it turns out, I stayed at the end of April, snowed every night, gloomy everyday; apparently the locals thought this very normal.

Wonderful scenery, what one could see of it. Google " Explore Kamchatka" website, run by a Yank who lives close to the airport.

GF

Klimax
29th Jan 2012, 02:24
Thanks for sharing your info, Gents. :ok:

Anyone with Anadyr and Adak Experiences?

VIKING9
29th Jan 2012, 09:06
Adak, nice and easy but plan ahead and advise them of your intentions as early as possible. Customs at PANC will need to be notified in advance for a landing at Adak.

eckhard
29th Jan 2012, 10:53
I stopped at Anadyr for fuel last September. Lots of work in progress on the runway - big displaced threshold and GP out of service. Main apron was not allowed so we parked to the west on a smaller dispersal with no facilities. Fuel truck, customs and handler all came to us. Had a pee behind the fuel truck as didn't want to waste time being driven over to the terminal.

Turn-round took 1.13 which is not too bad under the circumstances. Just make sure you check NOTAMS regarding the runway and have all your paperwork/visas in order and you should be fine.

Klimax
29th Jan 2012, 11:46
Thanks for your time Gents. Appreciate it! :ok:

as fragged
1st Feb 2012, 01:43
Along the times of this thread - any tips flying the route in a Jet that's looking these places at diversions?
Thanks in advance
as fragged

VIKING9
1st Feb 2012, 06:40
What size jet ??

as fragged
1st Feb 2012, 07:24
Sorry, missed that out... Challenger size (RVSM/RNP/mid 30's/M0.76/3000nm ish range). Thanks in advance.

VIKING9
1st Feb 2012, 07:34
Anadyr and Adak are available as diversions but Anadyr is not H24, hours are 2100-0600UTC. For Adak, I would make a quick call to them prior to your flight to just check actual availability, 1-907-592-8330

:suspect:

as fragged
1st Feb 2012, 08:08
Thanks V9 - I gather it's a pretty quiet part of the world - and quite scenic, too!