PDA

View Full Version : Which ME Carries let the FO Taxi

OMDB30R
28th Jan 2012, 09:59
Just curious to see which Airlines in the Gulf lets the FO Taxi and Start ENG on Ground.

Thanks

Orangewing
28th Jan 2012, 10:34
Emirates lets the F/O taxi AND start the engines. Or should I say he turns the switch and then the Captain pops the fuel in :E

330airbus
28th Jan 2012, 11:10
QR allows it, handover to Captain before entering stand.

Orangewing
28th Jan 2012, 11:33
Sorry, didn't realise we were being pedantic - the F/O turns the engine start switches to "start" and then the Captain puts the fuel switches to "run". Ok so maybe a joint team effort, non?

Jeez, can't believe I am getting into a debate about the finer points of starting a sodding engine. Must get out more.:bored:

And I am currently smoking Dunhill lights. :O

P.S - And F/O's are even allowed to taxi onto stand - if we have been nice to the Captain.

The Zohan
28th Jan 2012, 12:01
the F/O turns the engine start switches to "start"

not on the bus. f/o only asks for clearance and his next action is after all engines are available.

so not pedantic....

tz

Sheikh Your Bootie
28th Jan 2012, 13:21
Habibis. At EK, its a joint effort to start the Boeing, like Orangewing says.

Airbus of all varieties, Captain does the switching etc for start. Taxi at EK is at the Captains discretion. 99.9999999% recurring let F/O's taxi the aircraft on all fleets.

Right, thats EK sops.

SyB :zzz:

John21UK
28th Jan 2012, 20:09
What's the big deal with taxiing anyway? I was surprised to find out my company does not let f/o's taxi. (or start) Whilst back in europe it's common for brand new f/o's with mearly 150hrs to taxi aircraft.

Fart Master
29th Jan 2012, 04:57
Jeez, what a horse and Pony show over such an irrelevant question, who cares......to which I've just added to the pile of horse manure:E

John21UK
29th Jan 2012, 05:30
It looks minor indeed, but there are many things f/o's aren't allowed to do at some carriers, something that they did use do with their old companies. All these 'don't even think about it' items soon add up and what are you left with?And what about when going for command? Then your suddenly expected to do it all?

FYI, I used to love taxiing. Now all I'm allowed to do is tell the other guy where to go.

Eric Carr
29th Jan 2012, 06:50
Letīs see if I got this down,
on the mighty triple the F/Os are allowed to taxi
on the 330-340 the F/Os are allowed to taxi
but on the A180 they are not and itīs called taxY....

bettigio
29th Jan 2012, 11:18
In Air Arabia when I'm PF I do everything, from pushback to engines off, beacon lights included.

Auto Backup
29th Jan 2012, 11:59
Who starts the engines is irrelevant - especially on modern a/c with (sometimes dual) engine autostart!

However taxying on to stand is slightly more problematical.

On small narrowbodied a/c it is perfectly possible to taxy accurately on to the stand from the right seat - even if it might require a running commentary from the left seat, however particularly in the case of widebodied a/c (especially the B744 or A380) the guidance is specifically set up for the eyeline from the left seat and is considerably more difficult to do from the right seat (even with a running commentary).

If the guidance to a parking position was by batman then I was happy for P2 to do the taxying on to stand on the B744, and sometimes (depending on the P2!!) also on to 'wide' stands where the airbridge (on steerable wheels) was parked way back and could adjust it's position to a considerable extent, however I NEVER let any P2 taxy on to a stand with the older style 'fixed' airbridge as the margins for error are unacceptably tight and if he got it wrong we would probably have both been out of a job! The only other consideration (in my case) was both the weather and the state of the stand, in heavy rain or snow or a contaminated stand I would ALWAYS park the a/c as (in my opinion) it would be extremely unfair, in such conditions, to hand over the responsibility to P2.

ECHIE
29th Jan 2012, 13:35
Jazeera Airways the F/O starts engine and taxi the aircraft when he is PF. Also at Wataniya Airways it was the same before they closed down.

Bypass ratio
29th Jan 2012, 14:04
EXA380-800 DRIVER or as I keep forgetting CURRENTA330-200 DRIVER......I see you've done more turns in the last 3 months than I've done in 4.5 years...! 8 days off next month as opposed to my 15. Thanks for doing the hard work. Us Boeing pilots really appreciate it.....haha