PDA

View Full Version : Modular ME/IR Course

fwjc
27th Jan 2012, 23:54
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for anywhere in the UK where I can undertake an ME / IR package. I'd prefer info based on recent experience if possible since I'm aware some schools have changed considerably.

Any positive suggestions much appreciated; thank you.

student88
28th Jan 2012, 01:00
All things considered I would recommend Stapleford Flight Centre. I say all things considered because I do have some negative things to say about the place, if you want to hear more about them then message me but they don't concern the quality of training. They use the Seneca for the multi-engine training and the DA42 for the IR which makes life a lot easier (which is what you want for the IR).

The Senecas are old and well used but they do the job. They can get you through the ME course in 3 days if you're a good enough pilot and you're not held back by the weather.

Their IR instructors are good and the quality of training is of a high standard. They have two DA42 sims and two aircraft which are both in constant use.

I passed CPL ME and IR courses on minimum hours with series one attempt one passes in all three tests (proves the school has the ability to get you through the course on target if you've the motivation, dedication and the skills required).

Contact Lisa for more information, shes a busy woman but probably the best thing about Stapleford from a students point of view.

Good luck.

Dan the weegie
28th Jan 2012, 14:01
Airways Flight Training Exeter, unlike the guy above I have nothing bad to say about them. Planes are old, the sim is old, the school has no toilet in it (short walk to the terminal) but you will receive unquestionably the very best quality flying instruction available in the UK and I've met no shortage of instructors. It was seeing them in action that I chose to change my style of instructing. I've not had a bad report and been thanked many times for sending students there.

(I have no reason for posting this, they don't give me discounts of benefits for saying nice things, they are just brilliant.)

Jwscud
28th Jan 2012, 16:42
PAT in Bournemouth. I have been there recently (Oct/Nov 11) and the training is top notch. Their first time (not first series) pass rate is excellent, and the atmosphere is very congenial indeed. Duchesses not glass cockpit DA42s for everything, but don't let that put you off, they're brilliant aircraft to fly.

Wherever you put on your shortlist, make sure you go visit and have a chat with some of the current students.

fwjc
28th Jan 2012, 22:10
Thank you for your feedback, everyone. It has certainly opened my eyes to one opportunity, pointed me away from other schools (not mentioned).

29th Jan 2012, 08:36
I second what Dan T W said. Was there during the summer and the training was excellent. Their aircraft aren't the newest, but they are maintained to the highest of standards. I didn't have any problems with the ratio of instructors or aircraft tech issues.

If you want a glossy sausage factory, then AFT isn't for you. But its reassuring to see that your hard earned isn't going towards the unneccessary expense maintaining that gloss. They also have payment terms second to none and if you enquire, ask about them and discounts - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

If you want to go somewhere that has excellent instructors, isn't money grabbing and is geniunely only there to see you suceed, then you need to give them a call and visit.

Good luck with your training.

captain.weird
29th Jan 2012, 19:17
The price of Stapleford is almost high as the CPL/ME/IR course of FTE Jerez. I would choose FTE Jerez above Stapleford then..

student88
29th Jan 2012, 21:08
Including accommodation, excluding exam fees and contingency fund you can do the modular CPL ME IR at FTE for under £25,000 according to the website at todays exchange rates. If you can afford 12 weeks abroad then do it. The facilities at FTE are pretty good and you'll have that lovely weather in the summer to enjoy whilst you train! They too have some fantastic instructors (if you plan on going to FTE I can recommend one to you).

Just FYI, I'd add a good 10% contingency fund to the cost of your training, just incase you do go over hours.

T668BFJ
29th Jan 2012, 21:18
Airways Flight Training were absolutely fantastic.

Cant recommend them highly enough.

disco87
29th Jan 2012, 21:22
Another vote for PAT here. Excellent value.

Finals19
29th Jan 2012, 21:44
I'll add my vote for PAT at Bournemouth. A bunch of very dedicated guys who are committed to quality training and first time / series passes. BE76 Duchess is a solid training platform.

And Bruno the dog will be your best mate as long as you have food on you :ok:

captain.weird
29th Jan 2012, 21:46
The problem is that I don't even live in the UK but in the south western country from the UK.. So I have to pay for the accomodation, that's for sure.. If I will do it with Stapleford.. I think it's going to be a little bit too much for me..

fwjc
2nd Feb 2012, 09:14
Thanks everyone for your responses. Really useful comments and observations. I only need the ME/IR, will already have the CPL, so will be contacting most of the schools mentioned for more info.

njptvr
2nd Feb 2012, 19:08
Hi
Would just like to cast my vote for Flying Time in Shoreham.

Just completed CPL / ME and am most of the way through the IR.

Excellent instructors and a very well organised and run facility.

Clearly hard to make direct comparisons as I have only been at one place for CPL/ME/IR but they have delivered on their promises, been very flexible and DO NOT demand payment up front. You get the same course prices paying to fly and I think they are very competitively priced bearing in mind the CPL is done on a twin.

Will happily answer questions if you have any!

TheodoreK
3rd Sep 2012, 14:01
hello,
did you know any FTO with good quality training and good prices for IR/MEP? im holder of CPL(A)
Thank you