PDA

View Full Version : SAS vs US. Major?

TowerDog
22nd Apr 2001, 09:24
Finally the Scandinavinan Forum has been heating up on various topics.

Many of the comments have been on SAS and compensation and conditions and such.

Well, here is my 5 cents worth:

Uh, never worked for SAS or failed any tests, yet SAS was of course the final and ultimate job while in flight training and while pondering the future.

As for the topic, just been out drinking beer with a good friend that quit SAS and came over to the US and got a job with a US Major Airline.

He got hired with SAS in 1987 and left 1989.
Flew panel on the DC-10 he did.
He was very happy with the SAS job and the company and told me that if he worked for SAS the rest of his life, he would have been happy and content.

(He also said that the years he was there was the tail-end of the good old days...)

Now my bud is a captain for AA on the 727.
He enjoys the job and gets paid about 180K a year for flying Florida to the Islands and back, next year on a glass plane, the annual income should be over $200K.

Since I joined PPRuNe about 6 months ago I have receive e-mails and questions from guys in Europe asking about getting back to the US and perhaps getting a job with a major.

(I am no expert, just got hired with AA last November at age 43. The current trend is to have plenty hours and clean back bround if ya are civilian. Less importance is put on friends of friends, or blacks, browns or females. Yet they get in with less hours. For a white male ya need good captain time and such.)

As far as any advice: If I had a good job in Scandiland, flying for SAS, Braathens or Wideroes or such, I would stay right there.
Yup, the grass is indeed greener across the fence, but I would not burn any bridges these days.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, etc.
With 17 flying jobs behind me and more hours/ planes than I care to think about, I'd say, enjoy SAS or BU or whatever, happines ain't jumping ship and starting over.
(Unless ya are 21, single, millionaire, and Einstein)

Uh, what is my point with all this?

Life in the US is good, but not much better than Scandinavia in many respects.
Weather in Florida is nearly perfect and taxes are indeed low, yet something is missing: People don't treat each other with respect in general.
Therefore ya get tired of always being in conflict with the next arsehole, whether it is in traffic, on the phone, or in the office.
(The neigbors are usually good, but overall it is a lot of stress and pressure in this society.)

I wanna quit flying, move aboard my sailboat and sail into the sunset, but aye, wifey says no. Have to make more money first.
In this place money is king and money is happiness.

Stay where ya are.

TowerDog...

------------------
Men, this is no drill...