PDA

View Full Version : Finnair

AUST
22nd Apr 2001, 04:19
does anyone know what finnair are looking for in pilots when they are employing.

Ie. Does one need a Finnish ATPL etc, or is a foreign country ok. Also the Hour requirements...

Thanks

UpstairsDriver
22nd Apr 2001, 14:55
I dont think hours and licence are the main problems, you do however have to speak Finnish. If you dont speak the lingo already, that will take you a day or two to learn!

You can start practising by changing the language on your cell-phone to Finnish! Dont blame me though if you end up erasing the phonebook when trying to call your wife! :)

dick badcock
22nd Apr 2001, 17:39
Finnair has a strange recruitment process as far as I understand. They put you through the whole shallabang (as an ab-inito candidate), only ones excepted from this are Finnish military pilots. This might have changed since I last spoke to them (99), but if not consider applying with Air Botnia (SAS subsidiary--but should speak Finnish) or even Britannia (yes, and the most 'unpopular' base is Helsinki--perfiect for those who want to live in this lively and cool city!!!), might need to know Swedish for that airline. As far as licences go, should have a European frozen ATPL or ATPL. There are also a few bizjet (2-3 I think) outfits at Helsinki Vantaa, need Finnish for those as well.

PS! Air Botnia will work you hard and not pay too much, but company morale is (last time I checked) very high
PS2! Britannia will see you fly to Canaries and Med a lot (early mornings!)

JJflyer
22nd Apr 2001, 17:57
Well then...

I went through the Abinitio selection process about 7 years ago and did not get picked that time. There are no real backdoors in. As far as language is concerned Finnish is essential though I am not all that sure what EU would say about discriminating on the basis of ones native tongue????
Hiring, they are but in very small scale. Military pilots do get in easier than abinitios, but there has never really been a big supply of trained and experienced civilian heavyjet drivers in Finland, other than Finnair ofcourse. I'll have a chat with my dad tonight and have him ask around what the current situation is.He flew for Finnair for 33 years and retired a while ago.
I am not too hopeful about Finnair but you can have a look at their website www.finnair.com (http://www.finnair.com) to get some more info.

JJ

AUST
27th Apr 2001, 12:08
Thanks for all the info, imm living in Australia, both parents are Finnish, i speak finnish quite well, but i cant write it well.
I hold a US ATPL and Australian ATPL. with 3000hrs, 1600Multi... i might apply.

JJflyer
27th Apr 2001, 15:19
Email me... Then we can talk and improve your Finnish. Elikkä lähetä mulle sähköposti,niin jutellaan.

[email protected]

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJflyer (edited 27 April 2001).]