PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL wants to Fly in Barbados

Dave Gittins
26th Jan 2012, 11:52
Just booked a couple of weeks in Barbados with Mrs DG at the end of Feb and wondered if Bridgetown has a flying club or school where I might manage to rent a plane and instructor for an hour and have a bimble round the island.

Google shows lots of expensive exec style metal at Grantley Adams (plus a Concorde exhibit) and I found a flying school called "Coconut Airways" on the southside but they aren't answering their emails.

Also found a "Barbados Light Aeroplane Club" on the net but their site only says "under construction"

Have already tried the Private Flying forum without success so thought I'd try here.

Any info out there ?

SpeedyG
29th Jan 2012, 09:37
Dave

Let me call up there today and check what is left of the old Light Aero Club operation.
Will PM you later

Dave Gittins
30th Jan 2012, 11:51
Thanks ... look forward to it.

Buitenzorg
10th Feb 2012, 06:29
Yes, there is. Last year a Bajan friend of mine took me to the aeroclub on the south side of the airport where I met a small group of friendly aviation enthousiasts, including both students and instructors. Regrettably I have no contact numbers or e-mails for them, but I'm sure that if you just go to their location early in your stay you'll be able to arrange a flight for a later date.

Also agree with sky captain, the Concorde exhibition is very well done. You may be luckier than I was, I missed a talk by a retired Concorde captain by a week (had to go back to work) but got a ticket for the lecture for my friend's dad and it made his day.

tiger flights
11th Feb 2012, 11:43
I understand Coconut Airways is now fully operational in Barbados but haven't been to see them yet. I am here in Barbados until 20 Feb. When are you arriving. Also, are you a member of WLAC. Regards, bob Gibson

Dave Gittins
13th Feb 2012, 12:53
Have managed to make contact by phone with Chris Gibson of Coconut and we are co-ordinating pilots and planes.

Am in Barbados from 24th Feb - 9 Mar and want to fly a couple of times (say 1st and 8th). Am going there for a few days relaxation first. have spotted Concorde exhibit and hope to pursuade Mrs DG to visit.

Not a member of WLAC, currently flying at Redhill with Cubair.

SpeedyG
15th Feb 2012, 09:55
Dave - this is the best I can find from my colleagues in BGI

https://www.facebook.com/airways.coconut
Coconut Airways (http://www.coconut-airways.com/)

cessnagirl
28th Feb 2012, 01:36
is it possible for a CPL ME IR holder to work as a pilot here?

SpeedyG
7th Mar 2012, 19:05
Unfortunatley the West Indies is full of wannabees these days and preference goes to nationals - Try somewhere closer to your home

Fly Well

Dave Gittins
13th Mar 2012, 13:40
Managed to get in touch with Chris Gibson at Coconut and flew a couple of trips in his Tomahawk 8P-TOM with a local pilot (first time I've flown one since 1990).

Thanks all for your help.

Coconut Airways (http://www.coconut-airways.com/school.html)