PDA

View Full Version : Skype - unusual incident.

Rossian
26th Jan 2012, 10:49
May be some of you may have experienced this, but it was new to me.

I had a call on Skype from "On line Support tm" saying there was a problem with my computer and that I should call a certain site. Having experienced the same thing on the phone I just terminated the call and reported it to Skype as an abusive caller.

What bothers me is that Skype normally requires you to approve a "new contact" before they can initiate a call. This came straight in.

Anyone else had it?

The Ancient Mariner

mixture
26th Jan 2012, 14:02
When was the last time you checked your Skype preferences ? You may find that a software update has changed some of the defaults.

BOAC
26th Jan 2012, 16:28
The updates have not changed mi prefs, but you need to check the 'Skype/Privacy' settings.

The Nr Fairy
27th Jan 2012, 04:02
BOAC is spot on. You can set various things, including "Allow Calls from" to either "Anyone" or "Contacts".

So if it's set to "Anyone", you'll get calls. Simples !

BOAC
27th Jan 2012, 07:09
...to add if you are set 'correctly' then there is a problem, unless of course you put your Skype number on any websites?

Rossian
27th Jan 2012, 09:20
...the point I was trying (and obviously failing) to make, was that if my preferences are set to "anyone", as they are ; yes, I get calls but they are preceded by "miss sexy boots wishes you to add her to your contact list" or some such, and you have the option to accept/decline/block/ignore. This call came straight into my contact list.
Needless to say there has been no reaction from Skype.

The reason I leave my preferences set to "anyone" is because over all the time I've used Skype I've re-established contact with lots of folks from my past to our mutual benefit.

The Ancient Mariner