PDA

View Full Version : HEMS in Saudí Arabia

Milo C
25th Jan 2012, 22:41
Does anybody know something about the Era contract for Hems in Arabia?

heloguy412
26th Jan 2012, 00:02
Run away and don't look back.

spinwing
26th Jan 2012, 05:13
Mmmmmmmm .....

I would be asking ERA if they REALLY know what their getting into?

(rather then what they have been told they're getting into ... and there IS a difference).

:ugh:

Milo C
26th Jan 2012, 07:18
Roger. Thank you. Because they're still looking for pilots for that contract.

Turkeyslapper
26th Jan 2012, 08:11
What happened to Abu Dhabi Aviation......I thought they were running that contract?

How many companies is that, kind of like taking on the poisoned chalice that gig by the sounds of it?

Cheers

spinwing
26th Jan 2012, 10:23
Mmmmm ...

ADA do operate the Jeddah and Riyadh bases .... long time rumour was that SRCA want another operator for the other proposed bases (???) .... like one of those 'divide to conquer' scenarios ... :=

Could be ERA have taken the bait ..... :E

400hover
26th Jan 2012, 11:40
ERA is looking for a PROBABLE situation.. so it remains in the probability field.

There is also a big european corporation looking for this i heard..

industry insider
26th Jan 2012, 11:49
......And a couple of other US companies I believe...

heloguy412
26th Jan 2012, 12:19
Spinwing said it so much more eloquently than I did. Now for some more of my non eloquentness. The problem with the EMS contract in Saudi is not going to be the company you work for as they for the most part should be trying to help you get the job done. The problem is the the retards at SRCA and the country itself. The whole operation is a project of one of the princes. He gets nothing but good news from The SRCA management because it is filled with yes men. They are afraid to tell the truth. If you tell the truth you are silenced or fired. The operation would probably run a whole lot smoother if SRCA paid their bills. Any company going in with a bid better have a large cash reserve or get the money up front. They didn't pay DHL for so long that parts were being held up in customs for weeks. DHL was saying payup or you don't get the shipments. Its at the point now where the bases have to be manned even if there isn't an aircraft available at the base. If you don't man the base SRCA won't pay the bill. The entire program is all about optics and how good the princes project looks to the king. It has nothing to do with saving the lives of the citizens of Saudi. I spent a year of my life with good people trying to do a good job but in the end I had enough. The incompetence level at SRCA is just too high for me.:ugh: If you think I am a disgruntled employee, I am not. I just saw the contract going nowhere and decided to leave. If you have any specific questions then pm me.

Jet Ranger
26th Jan 2012, 13:12
Unbelievable! Is that one of the richest country of the world?

Epiphany
26th Jan 2012, 14:21
A wise man once said to a young, enthusiastic pilot recently arrived in the Middle East "Son - if you are here for ANYTHING other than the money then you are here for all the wrong reasons". Chill or get out.

aclark79
26th Jan 2012, 15:54
Its a show project for the Prince. Expect to be replaced by Saudi pilots whenever there might be a TV camera nearby. The SRCA has no intention of improving itself, so if you want to sit around and get paid, it can be a great job. If you want to fly when your at work, look elsewhere.

spinwing
27th Jan 2012, 03:04
Mmm ...

Well ... whichever companies are looking at an SRCA contract I do hope they are aware of this particular thread and have the sense to at least PM some of the more knowledgable participants so as to verify the situation BEFORE they commit ......

Good luck to any and all new players .... ;)

:{

eivissa
27th Jan 2012, 07:05
Whatever any of you with experience there will say...that "large European operator" (from a southern country) will still bid on this contract! They have been reluctant to good advice for a long time...

spinwing
27th Jan 2012, 08:32
Mmmm ...

Well then ... that will turn out to be their problem will it not? :E

400hover
27th Jan 2012, 10:18
I've searched on the web about that contract but no information. Heard of 34 helis?! Can it be?

HueyDog
27th Jan 2012, 10:29
The Saudi Red Crescent is looking for 25+ helicopters and these may be a combination of ACMI leased and SRCA operated. It will be a tough contract for whatever company wins it due to a number of issues, not the least of which are: payments, crew visas and Iqamas, bringing in spare parts, accommodations, crew training, low flight hours and crew rotation tickets. Best of luck to whatever company wins it.

400hover
27th Jan 2012, 11:06
Ok, thanks! Is the contract terms published online?

Milo C
2nd Feb 2012, 20:15
Heard that INAER finally got the contract. Any news?

spinwing
3rd Feb 2012, 01:29
Mmm ...

..... Heard that INAER finally got the contract. ....

Well if that IS the case ... then good luck to them ... they're going to need it :eek:

Hey have you heard the joke ...

"How can you make a small fortune ?"

... "you start off with a large one and get a contract to supply helicopters to SRCA !!"

:E

muermel
3rd Feb 2012, 02:24
Found this one on PHI's Facebook page:

EMS Pilot

Saudi Arabia (Saudi Arabia) - Full Time

Description

PHI Air Medical Group is seeking to fill BH 412 PIC and SIC Pilot positions in Saudi Arabia. A 28 & 28 schedule is available. Transportation and housing provided. For PIC candidates - BH 412 qualified and current preferred, if not 500 hours medium twin time required. Pilots are required to have a minimum of 2,000 hrs total (1,500 hrs helicopters), 500 PIC helicopter, 1000 hours turbine helicopters for PIC, 100 hours in unaided night operations - preferred, two years EMS experience and NVG experience preferred. 10 hours night in the past 36 months preferred. FAA Commercial and Instrument Helicopter ratings and a FAA Class I or 2 Medical required.
Interested individuals should Email resume to: [email protected]
PHI offers a competitive salary plus: 401k Plan, Safety Bonus, Life Insurance, LTD, Dental, Paid Vacation, Sick Leave, Vision Plan, Holiday Pay, Prescription Card, Bereavement Leave, EAP, Relocation, and More.
PHI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

So who's got the contract now? INAER or PHI? Or do I mix up something here :suspect::suspect:

Greetings

mikelimapapa
3rd Feb 2012, 02:32
Nobody has the contract yet, it is still in the bidding process.:ugh:

industry insider
3rd Feb 2012, 04:32
More like in the final negotiation phase rather than the bidding process mikelimapapa.

HueyDog
3rd Feb 2012, 06:03
And it is looking more like it will be PHI. I have no idea how they can expect to fare any better than ADA who has a regional presence and can even move support items by road across the border. Good luck to them.

400hover
3rd Feb 2012, 10:36
Only rumours... or not! Is it published already??

BestoftheWest
3rd Feb 2012, 12:54
Actually PHI got the contract, and that came from friend at ERA :}

heloguy412
3rd Feb 2012, 13:10
If the pay isn't $1000 a day, then run away.

Heliringer
3rd Feb 2012, 13:30
There will be no shortage of qualified pilots for this gig, yeah they won't stay long but there will be the same amount of qualified replacements behind them......fact:ugh:

mfriskel
3rd Feb 2012, 14:15
You are correct. It won't be 100% turnover a year, but it will be high.

mikelimapapa
3rd Feb 2012, 14:25
Yes, PHI is the frontrunner, but their bid is double what SRCA is currently paying ADA.....I don't see them opening the purse strings that much, especially considering the trouble ADA have collecting their money at a much lower rate

spinwing
3rd Feb 2012, 16:29
Mmm ...

Oh its going to be so interesting watching this epic unfold ...... :}

mfriskel
4th Feb 2012, 02:16
How long do you think PHI will operate without payments?

spinwing
4th Feb 2012, 02:51
Mmmm ...

More interestingly ..... Ramadan this year begins on July 20th in the peak of the Saudi summer ... and pretty much just after the 'new contractor' would be expected to commence operations .... 3 months later 'Haj' ......

Good Luck Y'all ...... ya gunna need it ..... ;)

FlyingWay
4th Feb 2012, 06:56
Refer to PHI facebook

PHI Air Medical Group is seeking to fill BH 412 PIC and SIC Pilot positions in Saudi Arabia. A 28 & 28 schedule is available

PHI Air Medical Group is seeking to fill an A & P Mechanic positions in Saudi Arabia. A 28 & 28 schedule is available

PHI, Inc. | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/PHIinc)

heli1
23rd Feb 2012, 15:47
Any update...I gather Lynn Tilton was fairly scathing at her HAI press conference ?

Heliricky
9th Mar 2012, 16:29
they say that ADA is the winner....

stacey_s
9th Mar 2012, 18:55
or looser!?

HueyDog
10th Mar 2012, 16:04
I suppose it really depends upon how you look at it. When dealing with the Red Crescent the winner of the contract usually turns out to be the long term loser.:(

Aser
11th Mar 2012, 05:19
I don't know about the new contract, but ADA has renewed the existing one 3 more years

Regards
Aser

BestoftheWest
11th Mar 2012, 11:38
Actually according to someone I was talking to recently in Abu Dhabi ADA actually have to have all their machines out by the end of March. Lets see which turns out to be correct. :rolleyes:

vaqueroaero
11th Mar 2012, 14:38
Was in Lafayette the other day and PHI had a 412 and S76 painted up ready to go to Saudi. Also got talking with a guy in the hotel who is doing refresher training to go Saudi on an EMS contract...............

CIRUS454
11th Mar 2012, 20:25
I also heard they are sending 43 412's over by September and since they are looking for 412 Paramedics, Pilots, and Mechanics, I'd say it's a safe bet that they got the contract. Hey Vaqueroaero! What were they painted like?

Epiphany
11th Mar 2012, 22:31
White with a big red cross on the side. I think they might run into a few problems.

zudhir
12th Mar 2012, 14:12
Wicked, wicked Epiphany...

HueyDog
12th Mar 2012, 18:59
It seems that both are correct. ADA will keep Riyadh and the vicinity and PHI will set up new medevac bases in other parts of the country. PHI has a team in Saudi setting up the groundwork before the helicopters arrive.

It will be a tough nut to crack but I wish the best for both ADA and PHI.

heli-mad
30th Mar 2012, 14:23
Hey guys

I have applied to PHI but no reply yet! Does anyone knows anything more about the contract and if they just gathering CV's at the moment.

Is it a good idea to call them and ask?

Thanks

H-M

nitehawk9999
30th Mar 2012, 19:27
I have heard that they are taking their time on this one. A response will be slow!

CIRUS454
30th Mar 2012, 19:30
What position did you apply for Heli-mad?

IntheTin
31st Mar 2012, 03:32
Not sure whether I'd call myself lucky on this one but they contacted me offering a job! I politely turned it down!

CIRUS454
31st Mar 2012, 03:43
When did they offer you the job?

IntheTin
31st Mar 2012, 03:48
About three weeks ago......

CIRUS454
31st Mar 2012, 03:56
For what? Pilot, Mechanic, or Paramedic

IntheTin
31st Mar 2012, 04:10
Pilot mate. :ok:

heli-mad
31st Mar 2012, 22:01
I applied for co-driver as not B412 rated as yet... Don't know if I stand a chance but I do have my doubts going after reading the thread. :p

Drooping Turns
1st Apr 2012, 05:15
Recruiter told me last week:

That there was one last document to be signed to complete the contract.

That they were taking their time because of it.

That their advance team was ready to open the first two bases.

One of the first bases was Ha'il.

They were to open 8 total bases.

One aircraft per base.

Hiring 48 pilots for the 8 bases.

We didn't talk money. Did anyone ask what they were offering for the 28 on/28 off schedule. That's a lot of jet lag and I'd want more money to compensate for it:)

HueyDog
1st Apr 2012, 15:00
Don't bet against them heli-mad, I believe it will happen. PHI is holding off deployment until all of the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted. I don't blame them for taking their time since the Red Crescent is well known for being a difficult group to do business with.

aclark79
1st Apr 2012, 15:59
Good for PHI for waiting to jump in until everything is set in stone. When I was in Saudi working for ADA we were told about the 30+ bases to be opened, how they had signed a deal for many man 139's and many other things.

I hope things work out for PHI and for my friends still in Riyadh working for ADA.

STVA
2nd Apr 2012, 14:22
T crossing and I dotting only seems to work out side of the KSA srca promised all sorts of things and huge payments 26 bases equiped with SK 92's Bell 429's grand hangers etc etc all came to nothing it is what it is on the day they say it is in the KSA. Best of luck to everyone who has a go at this merry go round :rolleyes: ;)

Sky spy
11th Apr 2012, 18:27
Pretty quiet out there, any updates as to how the contract is going, with any start up dates yet?

gulliBell
12th Apr 2012, 00:38
I have applied to PHI but no reply yet!

Same here. Despite emails direct to the recruiter and left voice mail messages no reply what-so-ever. Presumably US citizenship is not a requirement?

Having worked in Saudi Arabia before I've got a reasonable idea what successful applicants might be in for. I'm just wondering how the 28/28 will work initially. Do you need to have an Igama before you can get an exit visa in your passport? Or will you arrive on your first hitch with entry/exit visas already in your passport.

Mention in an earlier post of an S76 going to KSA, is that on this contract? All I've seen in the job posting is requirement for B412. Have S76's operated in KSA before? I'm just wondering how they'd cope in summer...presumably they're sending C++'s....I can't imagine any earlier variants holding much capability in 50degC ambient at the height of summer.

HueyDog
12th Apr 2012, 08:18
Same here. Despite emails direct to the recruiter and left voice mail messages no reply what-so-ever. Presumably US citizenship is not a requirement?

Having worked in Saudi Arabia before I've got a reasonable idea what successful applicants might be in for. I'm just wondering how the 28/28 will work initially. Do you need to have an Igama before you can get an exit visa in your passport? Or will you arrive on your first hitch with entry/exit visas already in your passport.

Mention in an earlier post of an S76 going to KSA, is that on this contract? All I've seen in the job posting is requirement for B412. Have S76's operated in KSA before? I'm just wondering how they'd cope in summer...presumably they're sending C++'s....I can't imagine any earlier variants holding much capability in 50degC ambient at the height of summer.

At the moment no S-76s in KSA but S-76C++ seems to be performing well in Bahrain. Will be interesting to see how it does in KSA once (IF) PHI gets their contract details worked out.

In regard to Entry/Exit visas, if you go into Saudi with a work visa you will not be able to get your entry/exit visa added until after you get your Iqama completed. The entry/exit can be sorted out relatively quickly, but the Iqama takes the most time. If they manage to get you in using the 'consultant' type of visas that ARAMCO uses for many of their foreign pilots for your first tours then it may be possible. It is a pain in the neck to get someone an Iqama and then exit/entry visas during a first tour only to find that when they fly out after that first tour they have made the decision to never step foot into Saudi again. :ouch:

mutt
12th Apr 2012, 08:30
but S-76C++ seems to be performing well in Bahrain Bahrain is at sea level, Saudi has a few hills :):)

That's a lot of jet lag and I'd want more money to compensate for it Considering that the base is Hail, you will be willing to pay them for releasing you on the 28th day..... Hail is not the most exciting place to live.

Mutt

gulliBell
12th Apr 2012, 18:54
Finally I was able to speak with someone in HR. They are only hiring US citizens on this contract. One S76 is going but only for the 1st year, because they don't have enough B412s. They have been flooded with well qualified applicants and have started hiring and don't expect any difficulties in filling all positions.

Sky spy
12th Apr 2012, 19:15
I submitted a resume and was contacted back saying that since this is a new contract and logistics is a major challenge, that it was going to take time to put it all together, just hold on as this was going to be a long process. My reason for posting was to see if anybody else had heard any updates. Thanks for the info.

mikelimapapa
12th Apr 2012, 20:21
"They have been flooded with well qualified applicants and have started hiring and don't expect any difficulties in filling all positions."

I'm sorry, but I had to chuckle at that one. Of course they are going to get plenty of applicants, its one of the highest paying contracts in the world. The problem isn't finding people willing to go, the problem is retaining people once they arrive!:eek:

CIRUS454
12th Apr 2012, 20:32
I applied for the Flight Paramedic position and had a phone interview 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything since. They said they were sending over a total of 43 412's and were shooting for a September deployment. I dunno :ugh:

heloguy412
13th Apr 2012, 03:42
Mike lima papa said, "They have been flooded with well qualified applicants and have started hiring and don't expect any difficulties in filling all positions."

I'm sorry, but I had to chuckle at that one. Of course they are going to get plenty of applicants, its one of the highest paying contracts in the world. The problem isn't finding people willing to go, the problem is retaining people once they arrive!

Go in with your eyes wide open. Sometimes the money isn't worth the soul sucking day to day operations. The people you work with will be ok if you can stay away from those that are negative but there is more to life than a big pay cheque. Quality of life will be everything in a year. I sincerely wish good luck to those that get a position. I couldn't continue with just 60 flying hours in a year. Don't be disillusioned if in a year you want something more. Just chalk it up to experience.

Cheers

HueyDog
13th Apr 2012, 08:30
At least now there are multiple helicopter operators in Saudi Arabia instead of just ARAMCO. All of them have different pay scales as well as different living conditions, varying numbers of flight hours per month and different perks. I would also advise that not all parts of Saudi Arabia are the same. Jeddah has a very different personality than Riyadh.

itk
13th Apr 2012, 18:57
They are only hiring US citizens on this contract
28x28, US citizens working for a US company... I wonder how that is going to sit with the primary Middle East incentive of being tax free

aclark79
14th Apr 2012, 01:57
43 412's, wouldn't that be nice. I'm not saying PHI isn't on the up and up, but I am saying that the SRCA isn't on the up and up. If it actually happens and PHI gets its invoices paid I'll be very happy for them and the staff working there.

Based on my experience working there with ADA I have serious doubts and I don't think that 43 412's will ever be operational in the country.

This is a contract with a government agency that had the power turned off on it at the hospital we were based at because they couldn't negotiate the bill. SRCA's response was to buy a generator and then expect the engineers and pilots to fuel it up.

The lights at the airport we were based at were off at night because SRCA owed the airport owner a ton of money and wouldn't pay it, so no lights at night.

The list of issues went on and on, couple that with an organization that wouldn't dispatch to its own calls because ground managers were fighting with air managers.

All that said, best of luck to PHI and the PHI staff who are going over there, get all the T's crossed and the I's dotted or the SRCA will screw you over.

gulliBell
14th Apr 2012, 05:48
Whatever dilemmas PHI might face during the course of this venture their staff presumably will be at arms-length to it all, meaning whether or not PHI get paid in a timely manner for the provision of their services should have no bearing on their staff getting paid on-time and in the correct amount.

Haven't PHI operated in KSA before? When I was working at Aramco 10+ years ago PHI always seemed to be on the radar in some context, whether they used to operate there at some point in the past or whether they just provided aircrew, I'm sure they're seasoned to know full-well what they might be up against there.

About the US citizenship requirement, presumably that's a PHI company thing. There's nothing preventing citizens of other countries working in KSA, unless of course you are Israeli!! In which case I imagine all staff on the 28/28 roster would be captured in the US taxation web in some way.

Haven't some Ppruners here have been offered a job there? Perhaps they could enlighten us on the question of tax??

Epiphany
14th Apr 2012, 07:31
Working in Saudi AND paying tax? NURSE!!

HEMS driver
14th Apr 2012, 11:45
Your tax status is not determined by your employer's nationality. It is determined by your residency - either 330 days out of 365 days outside the U.S., or by establishing a residence outside the U.S.

In this case, your residence could be in Europe and you commute to the KSA on a 28/28. This would make you U.S. tax exempt.

gulliBell
14th Apr 2012, 13:47
Working in Saudi AND paying tax? NURSE!!

Of course, depending on the laws of your county of residence, foreign income is taxable, especially if you haven't already been taxed on it in the country where the income was earned.

If you are a US citizen domicile in the US and working 28/28 in KSA I expect you will be liable to pay income tax. Just as if you were a NZ or Australian or UK resident for tax purposes you will be liable to pay tax on the foreign derived income in accordance with whatever the NZ/Australian/UK tax laws dictate.

HEMS driver
14th Apr 2012, 14:05
You are giving incorrect information for U.S. citizens. See my post above.

itk
14th Apr 2012, 14:14
Your tax status is not determined by your employer's nationality.
Indeed. What a foolish notion of mine - after all, one hardly ever encounters a US citizen relying upon Middle East banking and residence permits to circumvent the 330 day rule :E

air-bender
14th Apr 2012, 15:31
43 412's for this contract????
Assuming two pilot crews on 12 hr shifts = 344 pilots needed!!! Plus floats and spares!
If they're only hiring US pilots and they say they've got all the applicants they need then that will leave a huge vacume of pilots in the US EMS industry!

I for one smell something a little fishy.

gulliBell
14th Apr 2012, 18:24
....there was an earlier post saying they needed 48 pilots, and then there were a few posts saying they needed 48 helicopters, or some such thing. So yes there is some confusion here. I have a hunch the former is correct, only because the enormity of 48 helicopters would be an overwhelming task even for a company as big as PHI. But I don't know, all I know is what the recruiter told me (they have commenced hiring, some internal applicants plus new hires, and on present indications they expect to fill all vacancies via local resources i.e. US citizens).

CIRUS454
14th Apr 2012, 18:34
43 412's is what I was told. Does anyone know of any Paramedics that have been contacted and or hired yet?

MC5Wes
14th Apr 2012, 21:44
Just a quick question about compensation.

When has PHI ever paid the most for the area?

Their ad on JSFirm says " PHI offers a competitive salary "

Maintenance job at PHI - A & P Mechanic (International) (http://www.jsfirm.com/companydetail.asp_Q_jobid_E_77856_A_A%20&%20P%20Mechanic%20(International))

Competive to whom? Aramco? or Agusta who takes care of the 100 plus Bell 212s for the RSAF.

Also I believe I saw on another one of their ads. That they only pay to your "Gateway City" instead of your home of record.

So they get you on a Saudia flight to New York. Then you're on your own.

aclark79
14th Apr 2012, 22:20
30+ bases each staffed with at least one helicopter but some with more was what I heard when I was there working for ADA last year. I can believe 40+ aircraft is what PHI is being told. Hopefully they are making the SRCA pay for them in advance!

gulliBell
14th Apr 2012, 22:53
...a Google translation from Arabic from the SCRA website:
"the first phase of the agreement with PHI will establish the rules for helicopters in Mecca, Jeddah, Riyadh, Medina, Qassim and Hail. The contract includes the management and operation of eight helicopters". Then it goes on to mention that a Saudi team will be trained in the US to take over these services in the next few years.

Yeah right, I think we all know how that's going to turn out!

Sky spy
15th Apr 2012, 02:15
.....saw that announcement from SRCA also. Looks like 8 412's will put at least 64 pilots to work if all goes well. I would expect at least half of that to start with . Glad to see that the contract was signed today, maybe now PHI can move forward with putting the plan together and getting everybody trained up and in the kingdom soon.

CIRUS454
15th Apr 2012, 02:47
Where did you guys find the article? And why 64 pilots?

Sky spy
15th Apr 2012, 03:19
Go to the Saudi Red Crecent Authorty website, SRCA, and look at the latest press release reference the contract signing today, you will have to hit the translate button.

They are saying 8 helicopters, given a two crew shift with 12 hours and a 28/28 shift that PHI is advertising that equates to 64 pilots.

gulliBell
15th Apr 2012, 03:33
I'm to understand they are one B412 short of the required number, hence why an S76 is going to plug the gap for 12 months.

Perhaps a good opportunity for someone experienced on both S76 and B412, like me.....oops, count me out, almost forgot it's US citizens only :ugh:Good luck guys, go there with an open mind, and be street wise with their culture, especially in public :eek: For the uninitiated, you'll find it is completely not what you are used to.

For the pork lovers, you'll need to pig out on your favorite BBQ pork ribs before you go (deep fried hamour fish and roast chicken is very popular in Saudi at this time of the year!!). And for the beer drinkers, needless to say quench your thirst sufficiently before you go :=

gulliBell
15th Apr 2012, 03:40
They are saying 8 helicopters, given a two crew shift with 12 hours and a 28/28 shift that PHI is advertising that equates to 64 pilots.

...there will probably be a proviso in the contract to hire Saudi's wherever feasible. So it might not be a 2 expat crew in some cases, in which case the number hired will be less than that.

Another aspect is the internal hires will free up slots in the PHI domestic roster so it might be a good opportunity for some single-engine pilots to move on to twins (my hunch only, tho).

mutt
15th Apr 2012, 06:25
Saudi Red Crescent Authority yesterday signed an agreement with the American PHI company to purchase eight helicopters that will join the authority’s fleet within three years.

Dr. Rasheed Al-Eid, executive director of the authority, signed the deal with a Lance Bospflug, president and chief executive officer of the American company.

During the ceremony, a presentation on the authority’s air ambulance service was made and its plan to expand the service Kingdomwide.

Al-Eid said the agreement to purchase new helicopters came at a time when the authority has launched the fifth phase of its emergency aviation services.

He said the first phase of the new agreement would see establishment of helipads in Makkah, Madinah, Riyadh, Jeddah, Qassim and Hail.

“The agreement also covers operation and management of eight helicopters,” he said.

He said the authority’s emergency medical service had helped in saving the lives of more than 500 people last year.

The American company will provide necessary training to Saudi pilots and other staff members including engineers and administrators.

“Saudis will be given training in the US to enable them to operate and maintain the helicopters within a few years,” he pointed out.

Taken from this mornings newspaper.

Mutt

heloguy412
15th Apr 2012, 12:40
“Saudis will be given training in the US to enable them to operate and maintain the helicopters within a few years,” he pointed out.

They would have to show up for work in order to operate them.

havick
15th Apr 2012, 12:51
Just out of curiosity, why the citizenship requirement?

Not that I'm looking, but I figured US citizenship requirements were usually only for the DoD type contracts.

gulliBell
15th Apr 2012, 14:21
Just out of curiosity, why the citizenship requirement?

Just a wild guess.

Probably a company requirement and not a contract requirement.

Easier to co-ordinate the Saudi medicals and visas if they hire locally.

Maybe an equity issue on pay. If they hire locally they can tax everyone under the same regime. If they put aliens in the mix then they won't be liable for US income taxes and thus give rise to a disparity in take-home pay.

If they do initial competency training in the US it's cheaper for them not to hire aliens.

Etc etc etc.....

mutt
15th Apr 2012, 18:41
I'm surprised that they havent decided to hire only non US nationals on a local contract, it would make their life easier when they stop paying them.....

Mutt

Epiphany
15th Apr 2012, 19:52
They would have to show up for work in order to operate them.

Priceless.

I'll bet they'll still go to the USA for training and maybe a visit to the mosques in Las Vegas?

spinwing
15th Apr 2012, 22:14
Mmmmm ......

I'd hate to be accused of being cynical ... BUT perhaps they're hireing only US nationals so they will have no arguments about flying around the Saudi skys at night at 500' agl and complying with FAA Part 91 duty rules .... which might also be why they will try (?) to do the 28-28 on/off thing as well.

Anyway good luck to all the 'lucky' aviators who get the gig! :E

You'll really enjoy yourselves ......

HEMS driver
15th Apr 2012, 22:43
It is time consuming (read: delays) to obtain authorization from the TSA to train foreigners in the U.S. (at PHI). It is also much easier to vet applicants if they are Americans.

Part 91 applies to all in the Kingdom, not just Americans.

mikelimapapa
16th Apr 2012, 08:52
I think Spin was referring to the fact that American pilots are used to bombing around at 500ft and more relaxed regulations. Our european counterparts might balk at some of the things we get away with here coming from a more safety conscious environment.

Aser
16th Apr 2012, 10:53
Saudi Red Crescent to buy 8 PHI helicopters - Arab News (http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article612866.ece)

Saudi Red Crescent Authority yesterday signed an agreement with the American PHI company to purchase eight helicopters that will join the authority’s fleet within three years.

Dr. Rasheed Al-Eid, executive director of the authority, signed the deal with a Lance Bospflug, president and chief executive officer of the American company.

During the ceremony, a presentation on the authority’s air ambulance service was made and its plan to expand the service Kingdomwide.

Al-Eid said the agreement to purchase new helicopters came at a time when the authority has launched the fifth phase of its emergency aviation services.

He said the first phase of the new agreement would see establishment of helipads in Makkah, Madinah, Riyadh, Jeddah, Qassim and Hail.

“The agreement also covers operation and management of eight helicopters,” he said.

He said the authority’s emergency medical service had helped in saving the lives of more than 500 people last year.

The American company will provide necessary training to Saudi pilots and other staff members including engineers and administrators.

itk
16th Apr 2012, 11:12
Are the 28x28 medics going to be locally licenced?

Without an arabic-speaker on board, how are the crews going to deal with the language barriers on scene?

I'm intrigued to see how this project folds out http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-basic/popcorn.gif

mfriskel
16th Apr 2012, 14:06
The language barrier was not much of a problem for the LifeFlight Qatar program, what is more an issue is the male medical staff with a female patient.

itk
16th Apr 2012, 21:05
Indeed - the same issue, except Qatar is significantly more cosmopolitan than Qassim...

CIRUS454
16th Apr 2012, 23:22
Quote:

"Are the 28x28 medics going to be locally licenced?

Without an arabic-speaker on board, how are the crews going to deal with the language barriers on scene?"

I was told that the configuration on the helicopter was: Pilot, Co-Pilot, Medic, and Saudi Doctor. Doc is the translator.

heloguy412
17th Apr 2012, 02:07
You'll find out quickly that the "Doctors" do not have the skills of the North American Paramedics and are sometimes just along for the ride.

itk
17th Apr 2012, 13:24
I was told that the configuration on the helicopter was: Pilot, Co-Pilot, Medic, and Saudi Doctor. Doc is the translator.
In my humble opinion, that is the most practical combination for that theatre.

BUT... it still doesn't answer the question about whether the paramedics will be licensed or not by the Saudi Health Council? :confused:

CIRUS454
1st May 2012, 20:40
Anybody have any updates or heard anything new concerning the Saudi project?

Sky spy
10th May 2012, 21:31
Our Air Medical segment was awarded a hospital contract for three medium aircraft which commenced in May 2012, with the aircraft redeployed out of our oil and gas division. Also, in April 2012, our subsidiary PHI Air Medical, L.L.C. entered into a three-year contract with the Saudi Red Crescent Authority (“SRCA”) to provide helicopter emergency medical services in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, subject to our receipt of the escrow payment described below. The contract calls for us to place eight medium aircraft in service during 2012, along with support staff, and to operate and maintain the aircraft for the contract term. In connection with the contract, we have entered into an option agreement with the aircraft manufacturer, which upon exercise by us will obligate us to purchase seven new medium aircraft during 2012, and an aircraft purchase agreement, pursuant to which we would sell these aircraft to the company that will lease them to the SRCA, after we complete and configure the aircraft for use in emergency medical services. The contract envisions a transition of the program over time to qualified Saudi personnel, and pursuant to the contract we will provide training services to SRCA’s qualified pilots, technicians, paramedics and communications specialists. Our obligations under these agreements are contingent upon our receipt into escrow of the purchase price of the seven aircraft, less the deposit already paid by the SRCA, in the near term. Air Medical segment earnings continue to improve due to rate increases and certain cost reductions that continue to be implemented.

spinwing
10th May 2012, 23:31
Mmmmm ...

Very interesting .... all I can say is "Good Luck" with all that .... :E

heloguy412
11th May 2012, 01:44
Sky spy wrote " blah blah blah qualified Saudi personnel blah blah blah SRCA putting money in escrow blah blah blah.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Stop I'm going to pi^* myself.

Cheers

Sky spy
11th May 2012, 02:37
Hey don't shoot the messager, I just pasted the info that PHI released. Can't say how valid it is, I just thought it was interesting info to share with others:ugh:

HEMS driver
11th May 2012, 02:55
Suggestion: next time give credit to the source by placing the text in quotes. Otherwise it appears that you wrote it.

Forum etiquette applies.

On the tool bar place the text in quote by clicking on the quote symbol on the tool bar. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/editor/quote.gif

Sky spy
11th May 2012, 04:00
Thanks for the suggestion, as you can see I am new here. I appreciate your pointing this out to me. I thought by stating in the header it was from PHI would have covered it, but now I know better. Thanks for the help.

heloguy412
11th May 2012, 11:31
Sky Spy, Not shooting the messenger. Just laughing at the absurdity of PHI's release. It just looks like SRCA has told PHI everything they want to hear. If it involves money or competency of the SRCA employees then you will realize over time there how funny the statement is. I hope everything goes well with this contract but my experience with SRCA has me skeptical.

Cheers

wazz'n'zoom
9th Jul 2012, 19:56
So with only months to go to the launch of PHI HEMS in Saudi, there are still no aircrew, medics, engineers or helicopters on the ground in KSA. No bases built, no airman licences applied for and no money in the PHI escrow account. Hmmm!
Sound like the CEO of PHI is a wise man to hold back the assets until the cheque clears in full before pressing the 'Go' button.
Odd to see that the MD900s are still sat at the HLSs in Riyadh from the last HEMS contractor. Hard lessons learnt there then.
Any news stateside ref the PHI-SRCA deal??

spinwing
30th Jul 2012, 21:31
Mmmmm ....

Swisherd 'ol darling whatever are you smoking?

I have not seen any post bagging PHI's professionalism .... what I have seen is quite a few posts from people (some known to me) that have stood on Saudi sand doing the job and warning of what is likely to come.

You are quite out of order inferring that companies that have previously been involved in Saudi HEMS contracts have inferior experience to PHI.

I can tell you that there were/are crews there capable of and able to do the job to the highest standards expected of the EMS industry.

The issues are not to do with the Helicopter contractor .... PHI will learn all about that in due course ... their HEMS incarnation will be the 4th different operational change to the Saudi HEMS program .... there is of course one common denominator that continues to be the creator of difficulties ... but as you say ...

"with most new operations there are learning curves and mistakes that get made" ....

That is very true .... the problem in Saudi is that the will to listen and learn from the experienced is somewhat absent . There is absolutely no value in hiring an experienced organisation capable and able to do a job for you and then not allowing (or not paying them) them to do it properly.

You might think you (and PHI) have all the answers ... I really hope you/they do for the sake of the Saudi populous and their seasonal visitors .. but from personal experience all I can say is ... "Good luck with that" ...

To understand you really need to be there. :ugh:

Cheers ....

mutt
31st Jul 2012, 10:24
Odd to see that the MD900s are still sat at the HLSs in Riyadh from the last HEMS contractor. I heard them flying in Jeddah couple of weeks ago, so the contract is still ongoing.....

As for PHI, good luck, just remember that its not the employees fault if you dont get paid on time, so please ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay your staff :ok:

sisherd78, I look forward to your comments in 6 months :)

Mutt

spinwing
31st Jul 2012, 15:00
Mmmmm ..

swisherd ....

Thanks for your response ... unfortunately you don't add anything to allay the issues.

I have never said that KSA is a 'bad country' that is an assumption you have made of me and the others with first hand knowledge of this contract ... what I and others have said is that there are issues within that particular contract that WILL CAUSE GRIEF IF NOT ADDRESSED and just changing technical operators will not overcome them.

Believe me when I say that all of us that have been involved have only wanted to be able to do a good safe HEMS job for the King and people of Saudi Arabia and it is easy to talk up how good its going to be under the new operator. To say we were only there to 'take the money' does everybody involved a disservice ... if you really think PHI is going there for any reason other than the money then I suggest you have no commercial acumen at all.

And by the way it is common knowledge that it was the SRCA (and the Govt. of Saudi) that was out requesting the operational expertise and assistance to set up the practical side of a HEMS service in the kingdom not those operational companies "just trying to win a contract". Get your facts sorted.

You actually come over as sounding like an SRCA employee trying to cover over their inadequacies. := hopefully that is not the case.

Cheers.

griffothefog
31st Jul 2012, 15:02
Swish,

If you know as much as you think you know about hems S.A. then you surely know that its not the $ they put on the contract that undermines the operators, but the ZERO $ that arrives at the end of the months (plural) :{

If people (who have worked there) consistently put the blame at the feet of the SRCA, then one should smell a rat no? :ok:

BTW, there has never been any doubt about the capability of the operators who have so far (in recent history) tried and given up, exasperated.

heloguy412
31st Jul 2012, 15:28
You actually come over as sounding like an SRCA employee trying to cover over their inadequacies.

Funny that. I was thinking the same thing.

griffothefog
1st Aug 2012, 14:17
Swish,

You are obviously a committed individual to that cause :D

I dont think any further comments are necessary :rolleyes:

mikelimapapa
2nd Aug 2012, 03:40
I want whatever he is smoking...it would make life here in Saudi a lot more interesting :D

mfriskel
2nd Aug 2012, 17:25
Mutt,
Did you really hear the former AA MD Explorers flying in Jeddah a couple weeks ago?

wwingrotor
2nd Aug 2012, 19:36
Just curious, how much flying will you get per year doing hems in Saudi Arabia?

heloguy412
2nd Aug 2012, 20:59
60-80 if you are lucky. Most of mine were night missions.

mfriskel
3rd Aug 2012, 07:25
That is pretty low. I did about 200 in a year in Qatar during the proof-of-concept year. That is averaging a .5 launch to finished flight time in a day only operation. I would think that KSA would offer some longer legs with a like number of events and 24 hour operations.

mutt
3rd Aug 2012, 07:32
mfriskel, on the 18/19 Jul, we had traffic advisories about a helicopter lifting off from a hospital and remaining below 500 feet, I think the callsign was HZ-RC2 (or similar), as it was 1am, i have no idea about the type.

Swisherd76, I love your enthusiasm and confidence. Comparing Aramco with "ANY" other Saudi company is a big mistake....... Good Luck.

Mutt

wazz'n'zoom
3rd Aug 2012, 13:44
I think the callsign was HZ-RC02
Mutt
That'll be a 'Bell 412 Classic' that you heard; it's based at OEJF and operated by Abu Dhabi Aviation for SRCA.

spinwing
3rd Aug 2012, 14:50
Mmmmm ....

...... they didn't get to where they're now in just three years and they also had PHI helping them for quite some time. .....

Helping them do what ?

mfriskel
3rd Aug 2012, 15:38
Mutt,
I am sure the acft wasn't an Explorer. They only got a couple out of country when things went bad, and the two that were left were in no shape to fly two years ago. They have been left to rot since then. Would be interesting to see if someone did get one airworthy now, and who that someone might be.

spinwing
4th Aug 2012, 12:50
Mmmmm ...

swishy ....

Might it be that you perceive my comments negatively because they clash with your own biased views.

I could (but I won't) list all of the issues that should have been addressed by SRCA in setting up a HEMS service in the Kingdom ... things that should have been done just to meet the normal requirements for any aviation operation let alone an aeromedical one.

Things that many of the posters on this thread (not just me) have witnessed for themselves because they have been there and seen personally just where those deficiencies lay.

If your saying that SRCA purposefully denied those past operators those things that were required because PHI advised them that they were not necessary and that those decisions were approved at a board level ... well that just proves my point.

The thing is ... a lot of motivated Aviators and Paramedics signed up to go to Saudi with the intention of doing a 'first class' 'worlds best practice' job ... when they got there they found that was just not going to happen.

And to address your quote ...

....Your way is the right way; therefore the correct observation based on what exactly?

I can only guess your inferring that I have may have limited experience to back up my views ..... perhaps your right (but I don't think so) ... I note from your log on data that you purport to be 34 yrs of age ... that if true means that I flew my first EMS task before you were born ... and I have been involved with this type of tasking for some considerable time ... I guess its that long timescale of accrued knowledge that allows me to make those judgements.

I do hope the PHI HEMS incarnation works for the people of Saudi Arabia .... time WILL tell .... but I can tell you that 'Faith & Optimism' will just NOT hack the pace in EMS or Aviation .... it needs a motivated skilled & trained up team that can see where things need to be improved and then do that quickly .... It also should not be burdened by an inept egotistic bureaucracy ... Quite the opposite in fact!

Lives depend on it !!

In the meantime ... I will of course continue to enjoy being me :D

Cheers ...

heloguy412
4th Aug 2012, 15:03
Swisherd,

I think you are missing the point. ADA, PHI, are all capable operators. I can't speak for AA. The problem is with the customer. If I offend anyone by this next statement then I am not sorry. A lot of the arab world is brought up thinking that it is ok to lie to your face if it gets them what they need. It only becomes a problem when the lie is found out. They are masters at blowing sunshine up your as$. If you are going over for the PHI contract, ensure you keep this in the back of your mind.

Cheers,

griffothefog
5th Aug 2012, 06:39
And...... That's why they call it the LFZ :ugh:

shimmersky
5th Aug 2012, 13:16
Im stuck in the LFZ and i cant get out..........:{

212_Nightdipper
16th Aug 2012, 13:06
Any news from Saudi Arabia?...I wonder how ADA's pilot are doing.....;)

turboshaft
16th Aug 2012, 13:13
Latest from PHI:

The SRCA project is expected to commence flight operations in September 2012, with two aircraft in service at that time.

212_Nightdipper
16th Aug 2012, 14:19
I heard that ADA is recruiting for hems in SAUDI ARABIA as well...different contract perhaps??:confused:

spinwing
12th Sep 2012, 03:28
Mmmm ...

Oh dear .. there seems like there is going to be a delay with the much vaunted PHI input to the SRCA Saudi HEMS project ....

I wonder what the problem might be ?? :rolleyes:

spinwing
27th Sep 2012, 21:24
Mmmmm ...

......it was agreed upon (awhile ago) to commence the project in September and it already began as scheduled without issue......

Well thats NOT what I hear ... ADA crews still in their appropriate seats and no sign of PHI ... anywhere :=

Perhaps they'll arrive after Hajj ? :rolleyes:

HEMS driver
27th Sep 2012, 22:11
Perhaps they'll arrive after Hajj ? :rolleyes:

In sha'Allah. ;)

mfriskel
28th Sep 2012, 10:04
Have PHI started flying medical flights yet?

mutt
28th Sep 2012, 10:42
It will be interesting to see if they keep them "N" registered or "HZ".

Good Luck with the endeavour.

Mutt

47B-3
28th Sep 2012, 21:05
There were reports of a Bell 412 and S-76 in Saudi markings at Lafayette in early summer. Where these the first helicopters deployed to Saudi Arabia ... or other types? (The rest of the new Bell 412s were registered to PHI mid-summer)

heloguy412
30th Sep 2012, 17:41
Did I hear the rumor right? A PHI 412 ran out of gas on their way to a base just north of Riyadh while the news crews were waiting to film their arrival? :D That's freakin' hilarious. Don't think ADA has any worry about losing the contract any time soon. Oh and welcome to the logic free zone PHI and your crews. Good luck and keep your sense of humor.:ugh: You're going to need it.

spinwing
30th Sep 2012, 21:05
Mmmmm ....

...... A PHI 412 ran out of gas on their way to a base just north of Riyadh while the news crews were waiting to film their arrival? ......

Ooohhh that rumour can't be right .... PHI wouldn't do such a thing ... they're SO professional !! :eek:

... The FUN (?) begins .... ;)

Good luck chaps .... :ugh:

HEMS driver
30th Sep 2012, 21:49
Bollocks, it can't be true because they burn Jet-A, not gas. :E

before landing check list
1st Oct 2012, 12:09
Dude, "gas" is slang for fuel. So relax.

IntheTin
1st Oct 2012, 12:14
Bollocks, it can't be true because they burn Jet-A, not gas.

Before landing check list, I can't believe you answered that! :hmm:

HEMS driver
1st Oct 2012, 12:19

Dude, you relax. It was sarcasm, thus the :E after my post, Dude. Lighten up Dude, no sense of humour, Dude? :rolleyes:

wazz'n'zoom
1st Oct 2012, 20:55
. A PHI 412 ran out of gas on their way to a base just north of Riyadh while the news crews were waiting to film their arrival?

It's the funniest thing I've heard all week....nay, all month!

They obviously haven't read and signed the SRCA Standard Operations Procedures ref fuel minimas!:ugh:

Wonder if it's in the Arab News yet? Must go and have a look.

spinwing
1st Oct 2012, 22:23
Mmmmm ...

You have to beware of the 'Thumamah' triangle ..... :=

FlyingWay
2nd Oct 2012, 20:26
Sikorsky s76++ painted with SRCA logo

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/00bac92031.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/f0ca047b67.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/8c50191a75.jpg

spinwing
2nd Oct 2012, 21:43
Mmmmm ....

Excellent .... happy to see 'they' have arrived at Thumamah ....

Be interesting to see how many Saudi vehicle drivers will be able to drive beneath the rotor disk at a 'scene' before an accident happens !!!

Ooohh and those 'little wheels in the sand .... :ooh:

Anyway ..... Good luck chaps ....

:uhoh:

HEMS driver
2nd Oct 2012, 21:56
Notice HZ-RC07 (Red Crescent 07) in the background. That meets the GACA requirement of at least one aircraft be HZ registered.

spinwing
3rd Oct 2012, 03:25
Mmm ...

Yes .... but that 412 is an ADA aircraft ... NOT a PHI machine !!

heli1
3rd Oct 2012, 12:33
And whose is the AW139 in the foreground ?

spinwing
4th Oct 2012, 04:25
Mmmm ...

Same mob as own the 412EP .... :hmm:

mutt
18th Oct 2012, 16:29
Saw a 412 in Hail last night, US tailnumber ending in MA (IIRC).... Is this an ADA machine or PHI?

I was surprised to see it there, i thought that they would be operating around the Hajj locations.

Mutt

aclark79
18th Oct 2012, 22:27
When I was there all the ADA machines were in Saudi registration.

The problem with Hajj locations, well, there is a Non-Muslim crew TFR around Mecca, so if anyone on board isn't a Muslim (and yes, they make you pick a religion when you get your visa's and such) you can't fly there.

FlyingWay
3rd Nov 2012, 21:47
SRCA helicopters in Makkah ARAFAT

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/75f2f4a1b1.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/22e8c1aa19.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/00ce92073d.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/1a51ac3717.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/a7b32cecab.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/91679c82ce.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/7aa03ebfec.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/2d467e30f2.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/89a5993c82.jpg

http://www.air.flyingway.com/up/2011/c69940ca65.jpg

heli1
6th Nov 2012, 14:08
Yes but are any of the above PHI ?
I see the company is reporting a loss on the contract so far Is it actually operational yet ?

spinwing
6th Nov 2012, 20:40
Mmmm ...

AFAIK all the above pictured B412EP's are still ADA aircraft. :D

ADA still going strong and still doing the job!

wazz'n'zoom
3rd Dec 2012, 05:45
So what's the news from the PHI side of SRCAs HEMS? 2 machines in country but no news of any missions.!!

spinwing
3rd Dec 2012, 07:45
Mmmm ...

Oh I'm sure 'swishy' will soon give us all an update on what an absolutely fantastic job they're actually doing ... somewhere :ugh:

:hmm:

helihub
4th Dec 2012, 21:05
Just chanced upon this blog and thought it would be a useful addition to this thread..... by a "medical crew chief" employed by PHI in Saudi....

Dj in Saudi (http://tinyurl.com/c53oaat)

spinwing
5th Dec 2012, 15:42
Mmmm ...

Yup .... thats pretty much the way it is ....

Good luck to everybody :hmm:

500 Fan
5th Dec 2012, 21:10
DJ's blog is interesting and amusing. It looks like the road traffic accidents are going to keep them busy, when all their gear arrives.

500 Fan.

TRC
5th Dec 2012, 21:22
D.J. sounds like he's going through the same ****e as I did a few years ago just down the road - different task but identical scenario.

WTF is the matter with the locals and the system (ha) in that godforsaken part of the world? (Just realised what I've written, but it works for me).

alouette
5th Dec 2012, 23:00
@ TRC; you've said it!

spinwing
6th Dec 2012, 04:31
Mmmmm ...

..... WTF is the matter with the locals and the system ....

What system? :ugh: .... Oh that system !!!

:rolleyes:

Loose_Cyclic
6th Dec 2012, 05:40
What an entertaining thread, oh well, kills time when you're stuck in Thumama! :ok:

spinwing, hope you're doing well mate!

HueyDog
6th Dec 2012, 06:03
Great photos FlyingWay. It is good to see that ADA is on the job. Contrary to all the whining we read, no HEMS operation starts out as smooth as silk. The Saudi operation has a long way to go, but it is a lot better now than the disaster with Action Aviation and their MD902s.

spinwing
6th Dec 2012, 10:03
Mmmmm ...

LC ... I am well thank you ... Give my luv to all the chaps in Riyadh/Thumamah

Have a Merry Chrissy and a Great New Year ...

Take care :D

wazz'n'zoom
22nd Dec 2012, 05:08
Rumours are that PHI are actually authorised to start doing missions.. Are they ready?;)

spinwing
22nd Dec 2012, 16:18
Mmmmm ...

....... Are they ready? ......

Will it really matter ??? :E

heli-mad
16th Jan 2013, 20:48
Anybody knows if ADA has sign the contract extension yet...??:hmm:

wazz'n'zoom
1st Feb 2013, 09:50
In short....no.

Try again later this month.........inshallah!!

spinwing
1st Feb 2013, 21:17
Mmmmm ...

So have PHI been able to show ADA how its done yet?

:rolleyes:

wazz'n'zoom
9th Feb 2013, 04:23
Trawled off the internet page: PHi announces results for Q2 ended 30 June 2012 | Helihub - the Helicopter Industry Data Source (http://helihub.com/2012/08/14/phi-announces-results-for-q2-ended-30-june-2012/)

In April 2012, our subsidiary PHI Air Medical, L.L.C. entered into a three-year contract with the Saudi Red Crescent Authority (“SRCA”) to provide helicopter emergency medical services in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The contract calls for us to place eight medium aircraft in service during 2012, along with support staff, and to operate and maintain the aircraft for the contract term. In connection with the contract, we have entered into an aircraft purchase agreement, pursuant to which we would purchase and then sell seven new aircraft to the company that will lease them to the SRCA, after we complete and configure the aircraft for use in emergency medical services. Funds for the purchase of the aircraft have been deposited into an escrow account by the company that will lease the aircraft to SRCA. The SRCA project is expected to commence flight operations in September 2012, with two aircraft in service at that time. For additional information, please see our Form 10Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2012.

wazz'n'zoom
9th Feb 2013, 09:14
And another trawl; no PHI registrations yet then.

ROTORSPOT - Complete Civil Rotorcraft Register of Saudi Arabia (http://www.rotorspot.nl/hz.htm)

We see the last contractor to SRCA has still got their BO105s registered to Saudi; they're the ones still sat in the Riyadh Hospital HLSs!?

spinwing
9th Feb 2013, 09:28
Mmmm ....

.... We see the last contractor to SRCA has still got their BO105s registered to Saudi; they're the ones still sat in the Riyadh Hospital HLSs!? ...

Actually ... I think you might find they were MD902's not Bo105s !!! :hmm:

Geoffersincornwall
9th Feb 2013, 11:07
The last I saw of the very first contractors aircraft - a C28 powered Bo105 - was sitting at Riyadh Airport looking very sad and uncared for. I believe the original SRCA sucker was a Turkish company who suffered a fatal crash with their other Bo105 when it hit wires on a HEMS mission.

Action Aviation and the 902's came along some time after.

It's been a sad story so far. I hope it ends with success for they sure as hell need something that functions effectively in that part of the world.

G. :{

wazz'n'zoom
18th Feb 2013, 16:35
Interesting snippet. Saudi Red Crescent Authority Careers & Jobs 2013 | Bayt.com (http://www.bayt.com/en/company/?xid=1483262)
Never heard of 'Vision 2022' but here it is. :ok:

HEMS driver
18th Feb 2013, 17:52
It is from the Islamic calendar.

Islamic calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar)

212_Nightdipper
19th Feb 2013, 12:38
Who got the contract in the end?....ADA or PHI?

wazz'n'zoom
22nd Feb 2013, 10:50
From an in-country source:
Two ADA AW139s returned from Riyadh to UAE and relinquished their HZ registrations. Some of the crews stayed in UAE voluntarily, some stayed with the remaining single Riyadh Bell 412, some of the workforce have moved to Jeddah.

Some say there is a recovery plan to get all the remaining 412s out of the country ASAP if the contract does not go favorably for ADA.

heli-mad
22nd Feb 2013, 19:55
Still no news then..... Very strange! Politics as always...

heloguy412
23rd Feb 2013, 02:04
So the mass evacuation plan has been activated then??? Bahrain first, then UAE. Don't want the aircraft to end up like the 902's from Action.:E

wazz'n'zoom
28th Feb 2013, 05:44
So the 'First ADA' pilot resigns to move to PHI Saudi!

How many more to follow?:ok:

So how much is their daily rate of pay in Saudi? Any one know?

Adroight
28th Feb 2013, 05:54
I can only assume that the pay must be astronomical. Why else would anyone want to work in Saudi?

spinwing
28th Feb 2013, 06:26
Mmmmm ....

...... So the 'First ADA' pilot resigns to move to PHI Saudi!....

....... Why else would anyone want to work in Saudi? .... ....

a: Because he might be an Ex PHI guy ??? :ok:

b: He is 'over' being abused/ignored by his present employer??? :=

c: He is fed up with being shot at in Afghanistan !!! :eek:

Other than for those reasons ... I have no idea !!!! :ugh:

Cheers :E

before landing check list
22nd Mar 2013, 02:40
Anyone know who was awarded the contract?

spinwing
22nd Mar 2013, 21:11
Mmmmm ...

...... Anyone know who was awarded the contract? ....

Yes ...

From what I have heard(??) ADA has had a contract renewed for 2-3 machines ... and of course PHI have their contract ... so I guess its a 2 horse deal now with SRCA playing one off against the other !! :eek:

(the above gossip is of course offered up in good faith with the understanding that it might of course have no basis in reality ... :rolleyes:)

Cheers ;)

mutt
31st Mar 2013, 16:03
I saw a NxxxPH Bell 412 in Hail, I'm guessing thats PHI's, so it looks as if both companies are in the country operating in different parts.

Mutt

gnz
31st Mar 2013, 16:19
I saw two others in OEFJ, "N" registered.

PANews
16th Oct 2013, 01:20
A news story doing the rounds today states......

"The Saudi Red Crescent (SRC) needs 57 aircraft to be able to cover the Kingdom's area, the SRC Chairman Prince Faisal Bin Abdullah has said. "Currently, we only have 13 aircraft," he told Alsharq newspaper on Tuesday.

The chairman said the SRC needs at least five jet aircraft to airlift the seriously sick or the badly injured cases to the nearest hospitals. "These jets will be used to serve the remote areas which are far away from the general hospitals," he added.

Prince Faisal said the need of the SRC for more air ambulances was determined by a study conducted by an international specialized company which took into account the number of population, the Kingdom's geographical area and the distribution of the health services throughout the country.

"The few air ambulances we own have proven their worth. Now more and more regions are asking for them," he said.

Prince Faisal said the Southern Province is the most difficult to fly over because of the mountains and difficult terrains.

That is a very high level..... but is it sustainable?

misterbonkers
16th Oct 2013, 07:10
It's more than sustainable whilst the oil money is flowing. Politically it also helps maintain the internal peace.

The Ozzie BOY
27th Oct 2013, 01:12
They should take a look at the Australia EMS system ,It works well with not that many Aircraft:ok:

homonculus
27th Oct 2013, 01:39
KSA population 29 million. Size three times as large as Texas. Over 90% of the population live in urban areas. Has this guy missed out the decimal point?

HPRET
17th Jul 2014, 15:22
Just want to know if there is any update on PHI and the Red Crescent contract.

Does anyone know how many helicopters are actually in service with Red Crescent, and what types?

aclark79
19th Aug 2014, 10:12
The 412EP based in Jazan.

Apologies for being taken with a cell phone.

http://aclark79.smugmug.com/Helicopter/PHI/i-VzPth5Q/0/X2/IMG_3230-X2.jpg