PDA

View Full Version : AA chapter 11

Comanche
23rd Jan 2012, 14:58
I am considering booking a flight on AA for travel in August, but have some reluctance and confusion regarding the Chapter 11 bankruptcy AA filed in Nov last year. I am sure it mostly affects the employees, and my sympathy to those who are affected, but are my flights most likely to be unaffected by the summer? My travel insurance will not cover any flights booked while the carrier is under chapter 11, but I would like to book on AA not only because of convenience but also to give my full support to this airline. Yet, I would not like to spend $1000 on replacement flights at short notice to get where I am going.

NG ExPat
23rd Jan 2012, 16:01
I seriously doubt that you have anything to worry about.

sb_sfo
23rd Jan 2012, 17:28
Pay for your tickets with a credit card (not that any other method is practical) and your friendly banker will cover you as well.

Comanche
24th Jan 2012, 09:47
Thanks. The creditcard company will only re-imburse me for the actual ticket price, so if I have a problem say 2 weeks before departure, replacement tickets are going to be a lot more expensive to get to PVR from DEN.

Another small problem is that the ticket sold by AA gives me a 45 min connection time in DFW, is that feasible? Perhaps the wrong forum to ask this, but not to worry, I am not a passenger or plane spotter but a commercial pilot with a foggy memory of DFW. I could probably get a pass, but don't want to risk getting bumped in the summer.

MarkerInbound
24th Jan 2012, 19:18
They're not going to go away. They may drop service to smaller markets but they make plenty going to PVR. The 45 minutes could be tight if you're in the back of the plane coming into C and the next flight departs D. Probably legal but tight.

PT6A
25th Jan 2012, 00:23
Unless you hold a US Passport there is no way you will makeit in 45 mins....

maxthepilot
26th Jan 2012, 08:57
but also to give my full support to this airline

do you think they care of your support?:}

Comanche
26th Jan 2012, 15:00
Who's 'they'? The employees or management? My compassion is for the employees who no doubt are getting a raw deal during AA's 'restructuring'. The USA is I believe one of the only countries to allow this bizarre Chapter 11 provision.

No need for me to pass immigration as I am arriving from a domestic flight. I am traveling by myself though, no checked baggage. If I don't make it, there is no other PVR flight, so it's certainly a risk. Perhaps better to go on US Airways through PHX. Thanks to all those contributing.