PDA

View Full Version : Instructors and students

Ladypiper
23rd Jan 2012, 08:55
Hi, I'm a (new) flight instructor in South Africa...
What can I do to get some students to train with me? I need some students to start my career as instructor :confused:

Heston
23rd Jan 2012, 13:00
Get a copy of this book:

Gregory N Brown "The Savvy Flight Instructor" isbn 1 56027 296 1

its got lots about how to attract and keep students. USA orientated of course, but the points are valid anywhere.

Its a few years old and doesn't, therefore, have anything on the internet but again that should be obvious once you've read it.

Basically: network, get out there and talk to people anywhere you can, advertise (internet), offer something better than the rest.

Good luck

H

Whopity
23rd Jan 2012, 13:35
There was a lady in Southern England a few years ago who targeted all the local business people and invited them for a a trial lesson. Get a few hooked and away you go.

RTN11
24th Jan 2012, 08:23
I find that part of the job very difficult too. Fortunately I'm in a position now where a lot of people seem to walk in the door saying "I'd like to learn to fly".

If you're taking someone for a trial lesson which has been bought for them as a gift, it is a very hard sell (and I'm no salesman). They often have the ambition to learn, but not the money. Some won't even be bothered, and only want to do the one flight to see what it's like.

Corporate days as suggested above are a great idea, targeting people you hope would have the cash to take up the course. Once you get a few students, word of mouth will spread if you're any good and you'll get a few more.