PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Continual Aiwrothiness

pm07a2m
22nd Jan 2012, 18:31
Hello all,
I currently work for a helicopter company in Italy managing the continual airwothiness of our helicopter fleet. This means my main duties include:

-planning maintanance,
-prepating work reports for the maintenance staff with listing the jobs that need to be performed on the aircraft,
-making sure all applicable Airworthiness Directives are applied,
- Making sure we have the necessary spare parts in our inventory to make sure we are able to perform the maintenance

Now my question is: Who is in responsable for these duties in an airline company? Is there a specifi role? I havent seen job vacancies advertising such positions, any suggestion??

thanks

any help??1

grounded27
22nd Jan 2012, 22:25
An airline will have a prescribed maintenance plan approved by their CAA, the MFGR supplies a generic basis to work off of. They generally employ "planners" to ensure this is complied with and add fleet specific tasks, some to increase reliability some to decrease the phase MX requirements by accomplishing certain tasks during operation to decrease the out of service time during phase MX.

A maintenance control center will generally be responsible as the application of daily maintenance will adjust scheduled and un-scheduled MX tasks to meet deadlines and utilize available ground time to perform tasks.

AD's are driven usually through the above system, I think QA is usually involved but planners initiate the task, there is a level of airline/MFGR communication here.

Parts are a sticky issue, allocation initiated by humans but we use computers to control how much of what part we desire at every location. Depending on the size of the station. The goal is to have the grounding parts available at or close to all locations. I suppose there is a bit of risk analisys in this system. There are many people who can influence this, a pissed off AMT/AME who does not have the part he needs to MGT and supply people doing their job, it is a continual improvement system.

As I have read you seem to understand the bare bones system, Maintenance control at a large airline would be a good fit but you also need to know the aircraft (to an extent).

You will never perform all these tasks at a large airline but a small one may utilize your experience. MTC at small airline relies on the controller to do most of what you are experienced with.

Been there done that, pay was poor stress was high.

Blue skies!

mainwheel
23rd Jan 2012, 18:24
It would be in the company MOE.

It probably varies from one to another, to suit their structure.

Planning........would be most likely the Planning mgr, or the Technical Services mgr.

Maintenance Control........would be probably be the MCC mgr.

Where advertised? Normal circles.:)

Rigga
23rd Jan 2012, 19:40
The EASA Part M CAME (Continued Airworthiness Management Exposition) often belongs under the airline's AOC and is often managed by the Continued Airworthiness Manager who may also be a Form 4 Holder.
To do this there must be sufficient and qualified personnel (often LAE's) to manage the maint prog, maint planning, tech records, AD control, parts control, reliability monitoring, etc, etc.
For small companies (I assume - like yours?) this may be done by a single person - or contracted out to a "Part M Organisation".

BluFin
24th Jan 2012, 16:25
As Rigga Posted

Nominated and approved post holders as defined in the CAME

Anybodies came available from the CAA web site

AFStarliner
24th Jan 2012, 16:52
You can find similar positions of yours referenced as:
- "aircraft maintenance planner/planning engineer/records"
- " CAMO engineer"
- " Continuous airworthiness engineer"
I'm considering myself as a "continuous airworthiness engineer", as my job is more or less the same than yours (working for a independant CAMO on behalf of airlines).

Note that CAMO/Part-M etc,... are terms used in EASA countries.
There are no such approval as Part-M in FAA regulation, but you may find similar positions related to engineering/maintenance dept.

Hope it helps :ok: