PDA

View Full Version : Flying around the world.....

Dominic7
22nd Jan 2012, 02:21
Good Afternoon all,

For some time I have wanted to fly round the world ( Since 2000 when Jennifer Muarry flew her R44 solo. I used to see the chopper a lot as she lived up the road from my parents farm)

My aim is to fly solo around the world and raise over $2 Millon for Cancer Research.

The questions that I have had in my head are:-

How much experience is enough? In hours?

What is the best plane to use ( I'd love to do it i a Viper Jet, but I think it will more then likely be a Cirrus SR22)

How likely would I get sponsors to funded the trip? (ideally an aircraft manufacturer lending me a plane) Ive been in touch with a few people about funding for fuel etc that seems fine.

Have you ever thought/done it? I'd love to hear from you!

By the time I take on the trip I will be PPL IRF plus aerobatics and low level flight training at a military school.

I've got rough ideas of routes. I don't want to use ferry tanks and fly the pacific. The least amount of time over water the better! And the idea of having huge amounts of gas behind me doesn't boed well.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Thanks,

Dominic.

con-pilot
22nd Jan 2012, 16:04
Have you ever thought/done it? I'd love to hear from you!

As a matter of fact, yes, I have flown around the world, west to east from the US, however, I did so in a new Falcon 50EX.

That being said, I would not have a clue as to how to do such a trip in the type aircraft you are talking about. In fact, a person from where I live did so in a World War Two open cockpit Stearman bi-plane trainer, but he ran out of money a few times and was stuck in a few places until he could have more money raised. So I'm sure it can be done, but it will take money, a lot of money. Most likely more money than you will be able to raise for your charity.

Good luck.

amraam12
22nd Jan 2012, 23:12
Check out this website:

Earthrounders: round the world flights in light aircraft (http://www.earthrounders.com/)

Great resource for people planning an around-the-world flight with light aircraft. The majority of the people who have done such a flight are also very open about what routes work well, where to avoid, etc.

One thing to keep in mind, the availability of AVGAS continues to shrink around the world, if you can help it using an aircraft that can operate on Jet-A is recommended. While it is possible to do the flights using AVGAS, it definitely decreases your options considerably.

If you're wanting to do this flight for charity, I would suggest you get your trip well funded prior to departing so that any donations can go directly to the charity. Check out the websites of people who have done these flights in the past for lists of several suppliers who have been known to sponsor such endeavors.

amraam

Belarmino
23rd Jan 2012, 03:33
Hi,

check this site, the flight is just in progress. He is now in Mexico, on his 9th sector: GreenLight WorldFlight - Why (http://www.worldgreenflight.com/)

Exactly similar as you are talking about, i guess this one is using even more "light" airplane that you are planning.

Wish you good luck
Belarmino