PDA

View Full Version : What now BRA ?

LimaNovember
21st Aug 2001, 18:52
A german newspaper could tell its readers this morning that the norwegian "Konkurransetilsynet" said no to the proposed SAS take-over of Braathens SAFE. For those of you living closer to the action, what`s going to happen next? Are several tousand of BRA employees without a job in the near future, or is there a rich uncle hiding behind the hangar?

Hung start
21st Aug 2001, 22:38
So Far...they said no. The parties have until the beginning of sep. to come up with new stuff, that could make the "konkurrencetilsyn" change their mind. And if still a no, SAS says they will appeal. So..could be a long story.
The "feelings" in the media where I´m at, (DK)goes along the lines, that in case they won´t let SK buy BU, that BU will bleed to death, and then SAS can slowly but surely pick up the pieces....this time for free.
But I still have a feeling that eventually they will let the buyout go ahead. We´re talking 5000 jobs here, and the norwegian pride. Or as you suggest, some rich uncle that can satisfy the politicians pathetic cry for competition, will come along. I hope for the last solution.....!

Red Eagle
24th Aug 2001, 05:12
No rich uncles, just normal politician mumbo-jumbo trying to convince the public that 2 operators means competition. There will never be a level playing field in Norway and competition as long as the same politicians are calling the shots and making the policies, as well as being the owners of SAS.
Braathens has one chance of survival, and IMHO that means being bought by SAS. :mad:
Judging by the statements made by various top level Konkurransetilsyn burocrats, they are displaying incompetence and ignorance to the aviation business as an industry.
De-regulation, rings a bell? :confused:
How can they claim they will change the airline business in Norway by enforcing competitive restrictions like slots, no Frequent Flyer programs and dictating capacity? :rolleyes: Competition, yeah right!
The swedish Trade Dept. chief who labelled Norway as "the last communist state" hit the nail head on! :D
Maybe the politicians will overrule the burocrats and allow the SAS aquisition of Braathens, I surely hope so. If SAS is going to be able to survive 10-15 years down the line and not become Lufthansa Scanuter, they need a solid grip on their home turf. Just watch out, zee germans are coming!! Again! :mad:
Hope BU pilots ar willing to stick it out and not jump ship, keep your chin up and walk the walk.
For livets glade gutter går solen aldri ned, og de er det jo nok av i Braathens :D :D
Any input from the boys receiving all the incoming?