PDA

View Full Version : A gate guardian failure

tonker
21st Jan 2012, 12:43
A video of a refurbished A4 being lowered into place as a bases new gate guardian. I'm sorry but as it just gets worse and worse i couldn't help but laugh.

LiveLeak.com - Crane Crushes Restored A-4 Fighter Jet

dervish
21st Jan 2012, 14:30
That picture reminds me of the aircraft on a similar plinth on the roundabout outside Ferranti's South Gyle factory in Edinburgh. Only the roundabout is a dome shape and when turning onto it from the airport approach road you suddenly see this aircraft. I'm sure there have been a number of accidents caused by motorists swerving.

wub
21st Jan 2012, 14:41
Alas, neither the aircraft nor the factory is there any more. The Lightning is at the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum and the factory is hardcore under the M74 extension. There were indeed several accidents in the days after the Lightning was installed. The roundabout was referred to on Lothian Buses timetables as "Lightning Roundabout".

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/ffu33-1.jpg

NutLoose
21st Jan 2012, 14:52
Here you go Tonker... How to treat a Tonka :E

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/344534-good-things-do-tornado-not-one-them.html

AGS Man
22nd Jan 2012, 04:18
Nutloose
That happened at Tabuk about 2005. Certainly after I left there. There used to be a Lightning on that roundabout which I helped install back in 1993. That had it's funny moments to and I still have a video taken of the stages of restoration and installing.

Martin the Martian
22nd Jan 2012, 21:13
Many years ago Culdrose had a Seafire mounted in a slightly nose down attitude on a pole near the main gate, apparently with rotating propellor and flashing nav lights. Used to cause a fair number of accidents among passing motorists who would look up suddenly and see a Seafire seemingly dving at them.

Rosevidney1
23rd Jan 2012, 18:59
I remember that once upon a time there were two Seafires by the main gate, a Mk 47 with contra-rotating props and (I think) a Mk 17 with a boring old conventional wind paddle.