PDA

View Full Version : Backbone outage

BOAC
20th Jan 2012, 15:36
Major capacity limits today on US backbone servers due to DDOS etc attacks following megaupload action yesterday..

DOJ site reported taken down amongst others.

green granite
20th Jan 2012, 16:00
Interesting as I had a session where I couldn't access PPRuNe from here but could if I used a US proxy server, yet others were still posting from the UK.

BOAC
20th Jan 2012, 16:08
I think it depended on the routing at any particular time.

vulcanised
20th Jan 2012, 16:48
I couldn't access pprune at 1500 but all normal by 1600.

Guest 112233
20th Jan 2012, 19:23
The problems were certainly widespread yesterday - The problems I saw seemed to be with DNS - I actually had to re boot my router - It had crashed through packet overload.

We must be careful in describing the INTERNET as a marvel - As a system overall; its still too vulnerable to DDOS attacks - I bet we will not hear too much in the media about the outages.

Never loose sight of the fact that the TCP/IP architecture has its origins as a distributive, and in this context, resilient self healing, data network in a limited military domain of servers.

We have built an information & marketing structure on an inherently insecure, chaotic structure without a authentication layer.

DDOS against a simple target (Commercial hosts are far more complex beasts) is comparatively simple still.

CAT III

green granite
20th Jan 2012, 19:47
I think they might still be recovering from this as well:

Thank you.

The Wikipedia blackout is over — and you have spoken.

More than 162 million people saw our message asking if you could imagine a world without free knowledge. You said no. You shut down Congress’s switchboards. You melted their servers. From all around the world your messages dominated social media and the news. Millions of people have spoken in defense of a free and open Internet.

For us, this is not about money. It’s about knowledge. As a community of authors, editors, photographers, and programmers, we invite everyone to share and build upon our work.

Our mission is to empower and engage people to document the sum of all human knowledge, and to make it available to all humanity, in perpetuity. We care passionately about the rights of authors, because we are authors.

SOPA and PIPA are not dead: they are waiting in the shadows. What’s happened in the last 24 hours, though, is extraordinary. The internet has enabled creativity, knowledge, and innovation to shine, and as Wikipedia went dark, you've directed your energy to protecting it.

BOAC
20th Jan 2012, 19:56
The 'attacks' were more as a reaction to the SOPA action and Wiki shutdown and appear to have involved #anonymous

We also had

BT apologises for major business broadband outage (http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-apologises-for-major-business-broadband-outage-801270708/)

and now

Sopa and Pipa votes shelved after Congress climbs down on piracy bills | Technology | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jan/20/pipa-vote-shelved-harry-reid)

mixture
20th Jan 2012, 23:16
I bet we will not hear too much in the media about the outages.

here come the conspiracy theories..... yawn.... :cool:

The simple fact of the matter is that you will not hear too much in the media because the journos are simply not interested in the nitty gritty one they've milked the spin and hyped-up the story enough they'll just let it go.

Overall I agree that the way the internet works probably has to change, but to think that authentication will save the world is a bit to simplistic. The problems with the internet go much deeper than that.

green granite
21st Jan 2012, 07:20
here come the conspiracy theories..... yawn....

What conspiry theories are those then Mixture?

mixture
21st Jan 2012, 09:19
BOAC,

The conspiracy theories CATIII-NDB was trying to put forward that we'll not hear too much in the media because they are being silenced by the powers who be, those who supposedly don't want to the world to know how bad the state of the internet is.

Unless I misinterpreted his post, of course. :cool:

BOAC
21st Jan 2012, 10:37
Unless I misinterpreted his post, of course. - no, just the poster?:)

By the way, is it possible to become conspiratorial about conspiracy theories?......

Guest 112233
21st Jan 2012, 16:59
Hello.

No conspiracy theories: The mainstream media don't really care about "outages". In my language thats American for short circuit.

It only gets interesting for then if the "outage" lasts long enough to affect their advertising revenue.

Theres always hope that the "Reg" or one of the technical news sites will carry something but I was teaching on Wednesday and general INTERNET access was poor even then.

CAT III

[edit: obviously that Wiki black page was mapped across a limited number of IP's worldwide. I should have thought of that.]

BOAC
21st Jan 2012, 17:26
Mixture & BOAC - hey! leave me out of this - I ain't accusin' you of nuffink! It is only 'Rich' Mixture.:)

Guest 112233
21st Jan 2012, 17:27
OK I'm being a Luddite here; Yes, the Internet is possibly one of the most important inventions since the printing press.

But I'm going to put forward the argument that, on a worldwide basis: the humble mobile phone, is at least as revolutionary. The technology (is it still underpinned by TCP/IP) negates the need? for a complex copper underground/overground copper wire infrastructure.

Now we are back to backbones - but fiber this time.

CAT III

(Sorry I was typing while you replied: I ain't after your copper wire - but someone else might be?)