PDA

View Full Version : Algeria, Lybia and Sudan

chubbychopper
20th Jan 2012, 14:52
I need to make a fuel stop (jet a1) in one of these places (with customs), but I guess Lybia is out of the question. I would appreciate any heads up from those more familiar with this interesting part of the world, and in particular will it be safe or will we get robbed, scammed or screwed on agreed prices?

Thanks in anticipation.

DCAHH
20th Jan 2012, 15:17
what is your routing?

His dudeness
20th Jan 2012, 15:25
Will stop in DAAG on Sunday. Works really good if you give the handler your stuff in advance.

Payment in USD or Euros. (tell em which one, last time all the bills were ready in euros, but we had Dollars with us...)

Have been there 3 times

The only thing that did not work out flawless was the fuel release. The fueler had not received it, but a few calls and 15 minutes later the fueler started to fuel...

We use swissport there, Samir Benelkadi is the man. He is a real good handler and his english is good.

Prices were exactly what was quoted, a thousand dollars handling (600) and landing (400) for a 14 ton jet.

Cecco
21st Jan 2012, 16:31
In Algeria, I can recommend DABB and DABC in the northern part: the airports are not too big, ILS equipped, 24 hrs ops, customs airports, you donīt need any handling. Just walk a few meters to the airportīs office and pay the landing fee (USD or EURO). No problem with the fuel release (local fuel company in Algeria is always NAVTAL).

The same goes for DAAT in the southern part: small airport equipped with ILS, 24hrs ops, pay at the office, fuel was there in no time and off you go! (USD or EURO are also both accepted). BTW, had the same problem at DAAG with the fuel release like His dudeness!

Landing fee for 5.6 ton jet at DABB, DABC and DAAT: 200-300 USD (to have a handling agent at those places would be a waste of money!). Donīt worry about the safety!

In Sudan, go to HSSS (been there 6-7 times), handling service is mandatory, take ASAS, who do their job well; Fuelling is also done reasonably quick, safety is not an issue!
Landing fee there: around 800 USD for above MTOW. Fuel can only be paid in cash due to the U.N embargo (no fuel release!). 1 Liter JET A1=0.90 USD. Only USD are accepted at HSSS, make sure to have small denominations!

Lybia might be an option in the future again but besides contingency routes to the major airports in the north, overflights/technical landings are prohibited so far!

Cheers
Cecco

Flyingstig
21st Jan 2012, 18:22
Gentlemen, can I just say how refreshing it is to find this venue being used by 'pp' in such a spirit of co-operation and good sense.
Too often we get jaundiced, bitter people with nothing better to do than vent their spleens!
Keep it up!:ok:

Gulfstreamaviator
21st Jan 2012, 20:54
Always great service, fuel on time and they paid our landing fees.

Might need to pay yourself, unless they know you.

ATC is good, catering is bad.

for Refuel stop, lan on C6 arer for parking.

GPS moving maps will show you BAD ground details. Taxiways are mis placed, GPS approach within reasonable limits

Altitudes are conversions from metres, odd values.

Taxiways are not always marked.... beware.

Glf

Brie
22nd Jan 2012, 07:35
Hi

I don't know what your route is, but when we go south into africa, we sometimes do a stop in dauz. Never had problems there and went always smooth. But don't expect hotels overthere.

Cheers

hawker750
23rd Jan 2012, 16:18
Tech Stops Algeria
Agree that Algeria good for Tech Stops. For a quick splash and dash with no handling agent in the way Ghardaia DAUG is brilliant. a few hundred $ cash landing fee, cheap fuel on Uvair Card you can be in and out in 30 minutes. A bit further south DAAT is almost as good but can be a bit hot and high.
Libya used to be good and may be good again when things calm down. As someone said, take $cash with lots of small notes. Strange, fees always come to $201 or $301 and they never have change!

Opsbeatch
24th Jan 2012, 08:52
HSSS is a good stop and fuel can be arranged on credit, cash not always needed there ;)

As for Libya, they are open but not for fuel stops which is a shame as the fuel price there is fantastic.

PM for more info!

OB