PDA

View Full Version : ICAO to JAR conversions via Scandinavia ??

Stonebird
8th Aug 2001, 19:26
Hi
I have a question, please.
Can one convert an ICAO CPL/IR to a Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish JAR licence without having to do exams?

Or convert the ICAO licence to a National one, which will be converted to JAR when these countries comply with JAR/FCL?

I would be most grateful for any replies!

thanks

JJflyer
8th Aug 2001, 20:28
Sad to say that Finland is so disorganised in their JAR stuff that I would not even look there.

Friend of mine has been doing his theory training to get his JAR papers with credit granted based on his FAA tickets.
He has a very easy going personality. I don't think I have ever seen him so pissed off. Local CAA has been pushing him around. Ask 10 different people and get 10 different answers. Ask again in 3 days and they have all changed their answers. Bunch of civil servant crap, thats what it is.

Anyways. It seems that in Norway and Sweden they have their things a bit better together. Also there is a possibility to conduct training in English in Norway, unlike in Finland it is in Finnish.

Have a look of this website...
www.nordic-aviation.com (http://www.nordic-aviation.com)

They should be able to help you. Also if you want to get your licence without a course you need to meet very strict validaton recuirments according to JAR FCL 1.015b.
You can find the validation requirments from www.jaa.nl (http://www.jaa.nl) have a look into the Flight Crew Licencing (FCL) part.

JAR FCL is still relatively new and until they get everything working it is going to be a drag :(

tigerpic
9th Aug 2001, 05:42
not to side track completely...

i have a few people asking me about jar/fcl, especially the part for helicopters, but i would assume that this would be for fixed-wing too.

here is a scenario:
you start in scandinavia with training. you take a private pilot, finish off all of the theory exams for cpl/atpl/instrument. then, before you fly anything for the commercial, you go to the states and do everything there (commercial, instrument, cfi etc.) and come back before the jar exams expire (18 months, is it?) now with maybe 1000 hours.

can you go to a school and fly a couple of hours in preparation for a checkride and get a jar license?

now, this is not, by term, a conversion, because the only thing you use towards the jar license, is the hours. you don't do a checkride based upon a faa certificate. will jaa approve the hours from the states?

this is how i obtained a swedish caa license without converting. the caa told me that it is up to the school to decide if the training done in the states is a good deal.

confusing? me too!