PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid about medical (and some Qs about PTC and Florida)

Nauron
19th Jan 2012, 11:19
Hi there,

I've been checking out the forums for a while now but I just made an account because I couldn't find the information I was looking for.

So I got accepted into PTC through GAA (Gulf Aviation Academy) and I'm a bit scared about the medical. I really don't know what they'll find or what they need. For all I know, I'm very healthy (thank God), I don't smoke (ever) and I don't drink (ever). I am, however, underweight. I'm 180cm tall and weigh 50kg. There's nothing "wrong" with me to cause that (and I checked), it's just the way I am I guess. But is that something against me in the medical? What else should I know?

And, about PTC, is it a good FTO? I don't care about cost because half the cost is covered by the government and it's really my only feasible option (beggars can't be choosers). But is it a quality institute?

And how is the training institute in Florida? I would be living abroad for this and I want to know how it is over there.

Any info is appreciated. :)

And remember, I don't want to know how overpriced PTC is, you guys made that very clear all over the forums :p

Thanks.

pudoc
19th Jan 2012, 13:10
When I had my medical I was very underweight also, 185cm and 55kgs. I was craping myself when the doctor had to ask her supervisor but apparently all they worry about is overweight people so you'll be fine.

Everything else was fine, I don't smoke either but my lung capacity was only 70% of what it should have been. If you're really unfit like I was you might wanna get a bit fitter. I don't think they were too happy with my lung capacity but they said I should get fitter for the next medical.

But since my first medical I'm now fit and nearly at normal weight. I really like the medical, I come out knowing I'm healthy. Don't worry about it, the doctors and nurses are really nice people.

Jumpjim
19th Jan 2012, 13:37
I give you about 2 months online before you're up at what you would consider a "Normal" weight. Those choccie bars are sods to refuse.... :)

pudoc
19th Jan 2012, 21:29
Choccie bars?! I think not! Choccie biscuits and tea, dear sir.

GolfLima
19th Jan 2012, 21:32
...apparently all they worry about is overweight people so you'll be fine

I'm afraid you're wrong there, even you say yourself they had to refer to their supervisor.

If 'all they worry about is overweight people' why did they need a second opinion?

Da-20 monkey
19th Jan 2012, 21:35
On my first medical i was also underweight . 178 cm and like 58 kgs. A year later they told me I gained 7 kgs.

Beer and bacon is what I recommend you my friend:cool:

pudoc
19th Jan 2012, 21:53
I'm afraid you're wrong there, even you say yourself they had to refer to their supervisor.

If 'all they worry about is overweight people' why did they need a second opinion?

Because the doctor didn't know whether it was acceptable or not for me to be underweight whereas she knew what to say to somebody who was overweight. Her supervisor told her "we only need to worry about overweight people". Her words exactly.

Nauron
20th Jan 2012, 16:46
thanks for the replies, guys. It's very reassuring to know being underweight isn't that big of a deal. billywhu thank you very much for that pointer about lung capacity, I didn't think about that, and now I started doing lung capacity exercises.

And just to make things clear...I do eat...A LOT! I just never gain any weight, it comes in one way and out the other if you know what I mean.

So what about PTC?

VJW
20th Jan 2012, 17:52
Dude I was the same at 21. Never really under weight, but could eat anything and never put additional weight on. I'm 30 now and that's no longer the case;)

Needless to say, you'll wish you still worry about being underweight in 10 years or so!