PDA

View Full Version : FSI Wilmington

mutt
19th Jan 2012, 06:59
Any advise on how to get there from new York or Washington? And on hotels?

Thanks

Mutt

BizJetJock
19th Jan 2012, 07:56
The nearest airport is Philadelphia (30 mins), then Baltimore BWI (1 hour); however it's only a 2 hour drive from Dulles.
Also about 2 hours from Newark, and 3 or 4 from JFK depending on the traffic.
If you're flying in direct from the ME I'd suggest a sleep at the airport hotel first if the schedule allows!
The Christiana Hilton is the best hotel nearby; the Courtyard hasn't got a restaurant but there are several around. Afraid I haven't tried any others!

Enjoy.:ok:

NuName
19th Jan 2012, 09:21
Quality Inn almost next door to FSI, just never figured out why "Quality" is in the name though :confused:

corpus callosum
19th Jan 2012, 10:18
I think you can catch a train from new york, but its a long journey by train. Philadelphia is the nearest the car journey was only 30 mins.

I stayed at staybridge suites last time I was there they were good. Just a normal big chain of hotels i guess.

ksjc
19th Jan 2012, 14:34
I used FSI ILG for over 20 years. Astra, CL 604 and GLEX. (Now train at CAE DFW). Always flew SFO-PHL. 30 min drive south on I-95 gets you to FSI.

You will want a car. Otherwise you're stuck at the nearby crappy hotel with nearby crappy restaurants.

I never could find a "good" hotel anywhere near the school. D'town ILG has a few hotels but the town shuts down after dark when all the bankers go home. Closer Christiana has a Hilton and Courtyard. Both pretty bad with little to choose from except chain restaurants. Avoid "Cheeseburger in Paradise" at all costs.

Best place I discovered is the Newark (DE) Courtyard on the UD campus. Nice facility in a college town with good food options. Downside? 20 mins to FSI. For me the drive was worth it. I got tired of the less-than-mediocre options near the school.

ILG FSI "Client Appreciation" lunch every Wednesday. Enjoy.

con-pilot
19th Jan 2012, 18:47
Mutt, I agree with what ksjc posted. Although it has been years since I attended FSI Wilmington*, the biggest problem you will be faced with, is boredom. From what ksjc posted, it looks like not much has changed.

There are, or were, a couple of really good restaurants in the area and there is one that is north on the bay that leads to Philly that is right on the water. When ever a large ship goes by the restaurant, the lights are dimmed and name, destination of the ship is announced. But as I inferred, I don't know if it or the other places are still open.

So renting a car is mandatory and yes, Philly is the closest international airport.

* To tell you how long ago it has been, I attended Jet Commander and Westwind training there. So it has been a long time ago. The last time was in 1982 I believe.

Oh, if you can say, what aircraft are going for?

mutt
20th Jan 2012, 08:15
Thanks for the advise....... agh, I wish that it was Dallas, but something happened there in relation to this aircraft type, so we got moved....... I guess that I can build a snowman to alleviate the boredom :):)

Invited the wife, she looked at Google Earth, the weather and your comments, then promptly said, "no thanks".....

Mutt

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Jan 2012, 11:10
Been there that way, and its an easy drive...

Phili is an easy airport from ME.

Marriott Down town.

What else do you need.

glf