PDA

View Full Version : FedEx hiring...?

SupaflyGuy
19th Jan 2012, 05:49
The last rumor I heard is that they will be opening their window next month. Can anyone verify? Any idea how many they will be hiring? I know APC says 500/next 30 months. Still accurate? Does anyone have good updated gouge? Anyone reading this in the pool and waiting for a class date? How long have you spent in the pool?

Jeez, lots of questions, I know. I appreciate your input...

3pointlanding
19th Jan 2012, 12:22
You have that right, they are running new hire classes. I attended a Basic Indoc a couple of days last week and talked to some of the newbies. From that and others I also heard the pool is almost depleted and calls will be going out, (that is only a rumor, a good rumor but still a rumor). My suggestion is to go to FEDEX.com and get the resume in. There you will get all the information on hiring requirements and you can constantly update the resume as needed
The time line for the next few years is projected to look good for hiring, if nothing else just to replace those hitting 65. The 777's and new 767's coming will mean more and more long trips and that requires 2 crews. Good luck, this definitely the last flying job you will ever have. Steady routs, two crew bases outside the U.S.. No ACMI which means we don't have to beg contracts (charters aer less than 1% of the schedule), and although you may see some griping, hey, we are crew members, what would you expect. A bitchy crewmember is a happy crewmember. I also suggest you check out airlinepilotcentral.com. It seems to be the domain of FedEX more than any other airline. A lot of good stuff (and poop) can be found there.

SupaflyGuy
19th Jan 2012, 17:10
Thanks, 3point. Yes, I have gone through APC, but haven't found many current forums about the hiring process and update. The gouge there is extensive but may be out of date. It sounds like they changed the process last year. And for some reason, I'm unable to post on APC.

If you don't mind, what were your qualifications/background when hired? And I'm curious about others reading as well. Is the gouge on APC sufficient and still relevant, or would you add more, or focus in different areas? I would love any pointers/recommendations...

FedEx does sound like an incredible place to work and I'm hoping to eventually get a job there. I'm very lucky to already have a couple very good paying jobs so not interested in anything else, airline-wise.

Last question: how can I better my chances to get picked up? I have only flown the KC135. Would you recommend trying to get hired by a smaller company just to get an MD80 rating (I know that's kind of crappy, but this IS capitalism, and I want to be more marketable...)

I appreciate your time.

SassyPilotsWife
19th Jan 2012, 19:59
Just had lunch the other day with a pilot and former bus instructor and yes, they are going to be recruiting. However, the only classes he mentioned that will be going on right now are for moving pilots from the 727 to the bus.

If any of you guys out there will be locating to MEM for school, we've got 2 furnished bedrooms avail for crash pad that is located 20 min from airport. Large 4 bed home with pvt bathroom, internet, cable, w/d, full house privledges. Other 2 bedrooms are occupied with 1 male, PGA golf professional and 1 female college law student.

grounded27
20th Jan 2012, 02:45
Last question: how can I better my chances to get picked up? I have only flown the KC135. Would you recommend trying to get hired by a smaller company just to get an MD80 rating (I know that's kind of crappy, but this IS capitalism, and I want to be more marketable...)

2 observations. 1st FedEx does seem to add Favour to hiring ex-military, 2nd the MD-95 (B717) has just about the same avionics package as the converted MD-10. The future of Fedex is an airline operating B777,B767,B757 aircraft. As a new and Junior pilot the spot is flying sideways on the B727 from my observation.

3pointlanding
20th Jan 2012, 12:49
The last two posts. Things have changed and I am not sure what they are. I do know the "meet and greet" is history and they have some sort of matrix they use to select interviewees but I have no idea what that matrix is based on. I do know this, FNG's I met had varied experience, some all military, some all civilian, and some a mixed bag.
And do not bet on riding sideways. With the opening of CGN and HKG several Newbies were offerred those bases. The 727's are slowly going away as the 757's come on board. Good luck!

monk360
20th Jan 2012, 16:50
Any news on whether FedEx will hire in Europe on a European registered fleet?? I heard the EU were getting a bit peeved with US carriers flying internally in Europe on the N reg and taking tonnage from companies like DHL.

Flightmech
20th Jan 2012, 21:21
No change there. No European registered aircraft or crews planned . However, there is a 757 crew domicile in CGN