PDA

View Full Version : St Athan to maintain Hunters again

Beancountercymru
17th Jan 2012, 22:02
St Athan's gain appears to be Exeter's loss

Classic aircraft firm to land at St Athan enterprise zone for one-year lease - Cardiff news - CardiffOnline - WalesOnline (http://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2012/01/17/classic-aircraft-firm-to-land-at-st-athan-enterprise-zone-for-one-year-lease-91466-30136371/)

Hunter Flying has taken a one-year lease on two hangars on the Welsh Government’s Aerospace Business Park in St Athan. It is the first commercial letting since the MoD’s decision in July last year to move the proposed Defence Technical College to RAF Lyneham.

A2QFI
18th Jan 2012, 04:45
Similar suggestion that a group from Kemble may be going to Llanbedr

SRENNAPS
18th Jan 2012, 05:19
The Hunters flew in just before Christmas. Fab news:D

Truck2005
18th Jan 2012, 05:34
Just another spin to keep the population quiet. The aircraft do not seem to be going into the super hanger, (which after all, was has been the bone of contention), but into the one of the old ones vacated by Britton Norman the other year. In 1 years time they will do what all the rest have before them, when the cheapie lease is up for renewal at higher rates they will move on. BN said they will stay and shipped all their bits over from Romania, the WAG said they will recruit from local skills, about 8 guys got a job and one of them was a senior manager from DARA! Looked like the done deal until the lease came up for renewal then they left. One hanger has been levelled and that is the way they all will go.

All the news has been about more work going there but that is the increase on West Camp with the SFG. That has nothing to do with the so called ' enterprise park'. ie. What to do with the white elephant except use it for Dr. Who filming.

Come March 31st the final 200 workers, from a peak of 4500, and after 72 years of Military aircraft servicing will finish and you will be able to hear a pin drop there and no one will give tuppence. There will be cows grazing there before anything real aviationwise actually happens!!!!

Doe - John
18th Jan 2012, 10:51
"The Hunters flew in just before Christmas. Fab news"

Not so FAB for Cardiff airport!! ;):= Oh dear oh dear. Not a good start.

From South Wales Aviation Group Log (Thurs 15/12/11):
(Cardiff Airport)
Landing at 11:51 is "Viper" Hawker Hunter PR.11 G-PRII/XG194/N ..departed at 11:56 to St.Athan

WHOOOPS!!!

hunty
18th Jan 2012, 11:39
Beancountercymru

I think you'll find its a ten years lease and not one.

Hunty :cool:

Doe - John
18th Jan 2012, 12:32
I'll give it one!

Halton Brat
18th Jan 2012, 13:02
I recall watching a BA B747 on short finals to St Athan, c.1990 something.
Odd, methinks; mighty roar as x4 slumbering RB211's are awakened, gear/flaps travelling, sporty turn right & back out over the inviting brown waters of the Bristol Channel. He was meant to be going to Cardiff/Rhoose & BA's heavy maintenance facility. Press got hold of it, of course; just missed a school etc.

The profligate waste of money at St Athan is a scandal of epic proportions.

HB

Beancountercymru
18th Jan 2012, 14:08
Hunty

I do hope you are right - I was quoting the press report.

BC

SRENNAPS
19th Jan 2012, 05:24
Not so FAB for Cardiff airport!! Oh dear oh dear. Not a good start.

Yes I knew about the incident. At the end of the day it has happened before and it will happen again. :rolleyes::rolleyes: