PDA

View Full Version : Initial Class II after severe head injury

Fostex
17th Jan 2012, 19:40
Hi,

I went for my class II today and passed except for one issue. In 2005 I had a cycling accident in which I suffered a severe closed head injury including a small subdural haematoma ( without mass ). In the course of the incident I was unconscious for approx 48 hrs. As a result of this I developed partial diabetes insipidus ( not to be confused with diabetes mellitus ) which was treated with desmopressin until 2009 but is now essentially gone. I have no other lasting symptoms and am in otherwise good health and returned to competitive road cycling.

Never at any time during the accident or in the period afterwards until this day have I had any epileptic type event.

My case is currently about to be reviewed by the CAA and I have submitted reports from senior neuro and endocrine consultants regarding the above. My AME thinks I should be able to get a class II issued as it is now nearly 7 years since the original event without any PTE and the risk factor is now similar to that of the general populace who have never suffered such an injury.

I am curious if any one else has had similar issues and also your opinions on whether I could be issued with a class I in future should I need to.

Thanks.

Fostex
1st Feb 2012, 14:05
- To follow this up. Class II was issued without any further questions from the CAA.