PDA

View Full Version : Landing in St Barts, SBH?

AdamFrisch
16th Jan 2012, 17:46
I seem to recall reading that the Guadeloupe authorities required a "checkout" for pilots to land here, but assumed it was just for commercial operations. Is this correct? Can I land my private aircraft there without having done this?

The Dominican
16th Jan 2012, 18:11
It's been many years (late 80's) but I went there several times while I was flying corporate and back then I had to be checked out even if it was a non-commercial operation, I picked up the checker in st. Marteen, not Guadalupe though. I wouldn't try to go there without going with someone who is familiar with that airport, just go to YouTube and watch some of the mishaps that are there from SBH, you will see why:eek:

Check 6
20th Jan 2012, 18:09
Prior approval and check-out required for all operations, except helicopters.

DPeterson3
21st Jan 2012, 09:40
I got my checkout in the early 80's. Wasn't such a big deal, actually. I've been back many times, but the last time would have been in the 90's. I wonder if there is a currency requirement? I wonder if I still have the little green card they signed to show I'd passed their ride?

GK430
7th Feb 2012, 13:23
There's an instructor at L'Esperance, Grand Case on St. Martin that can sign you off. Getting hold of him is another matter though.
You have to still be checked out, no matter whether you use your own aircraft or not.

TowerDog
11th Feb 2012, 05:33
I was the guy that checked out new pilots going into St. Barths, but commercial flights only.
At the time there was no requirements for private pilots to get training or check outs before landing there.
The locals would sit at the airport bar sippimg their beer and watch the "Air Show".:D

NE_Pilot
16th Feb 2012, 14:48
All operations require a checkout.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm

If you look up TFFFJ (St. Barths), at the above link, you will find most of the information you need. It is also required to have a copy of that information (with the visual approach plate) when flying in and out of St. Barths.

NE_Pilot
16th Feb 2012, 14:52
All operations require a check out.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_uk.htm

The above is a link to the French AIP where you can get the chart for St. Barths. It has all the information you need and is required to be in the aircraft when operating in and out of St. Barth.