PDA

View Full Version : Windows behaving like Mrs Tone

Tone
16th Jan 2012, 16:39
I have recently installed a second monitor on my desk PC (running W7). Since then every time I start it up I find that it has kindly rearranged all the icons on the desktop into neat, alphabetically sorted columns. I've done lots of Googling and got nowhere. The 'Auto arrange icons' and 'Align icons to grid' boxes are both unselected. Anyone seen this problem before - and fixed it?

Spurlash2
16th Jan 2012, 20:22
Found several solutions on W3, but the best is No1 in the list. No2 worth a check, though.

1. I had this problem w/Windows 7-32Bit and found that if I right-clicked on desktop and then clicked "Refresh" the icons stayed in place after a reboot. You'll have to do that anytime you add/move icons to keep them 'locked' in place.

2. The problem was that one of the monitors was not being detected by Windows correctly and therefore reverting my display profile to a default configuration. Once I remedied the problem of Windows identifying my monitors the problem went away. It turns out that one of my monitors was set to a refresh rate of 59Hz instead of 60Hz. Once I made the change to 60Hz I retained all changes made to display properties and icon positions on a reboot. I would suggest that you look into the settings for your monitor(s) and verify that they are correct.

3. I have the same problem, I reboot window 7, all my icons are arrange to left side of the screen. I found, my problem, was I didn't install the video driver (Nivdia driver), I was using the default microsoft driver. that will keep arrange the icon to left, every time. Once, I got the video driver install, everything work just fine.

4. I unchecked all of the non-Microsoft services in msconfig and restarted. All the icons stayed put.

Tone
18th Jan 2012, 09:03
Thanks for the reply S2. No.1 worked OK - provided the second monitor is not connected when the PC boots up, it can then be connected afterwards without messing up the desktop. Hey-ho.

BOAC
18th Jan 2012, 09:14
I occasionally get this in XP (single monitor) for reasons unknown - a right pain!

bnt
18th Jan 2012, 17:47
Which dual-monitor mode are you using? If it's the mode that shows the same thing on both screens, then the resolution of both screens will be set to match the lowest one. The cure for that is to set the "extended desktop" mode which doesn't try to make both look the same.

hellsbrink
20th Jan 2012, 02:23
I have recently installed a second monitor on my desk PC (running W7). Since then every time I start it up I find that it has kindly rearranged all the icons on the desktop into neat, alphabetically sorted columns. I've done lots of Googling and got nowhere. The 'Auto arrange icons' and 'Align icons to grid' boxes are both unselected. Anyone seen this problem before - and fixed it?

Does right clicking on the desktop of the second monitor and changing the settings under "sort by", as well as turning off "auto arrange", help?

mustpost
20th Jan 2012, 08:56
While we're on the same subject, my dual monitor sytem gave me a fright the other day. Used for video editing, one monitor suddenly lost crispness and colour changed - as if display incorrectly set. Tried adjusting monitor, checked display properties, nothing amiss but could not recover the match to the other one. Power off/on, no change (Xerox pro monitors). Bah, mon had obviously died -£££. Next day everything back to normal tho' - twin head graphics card (nvidia) obviously had a wobbler? :confused:

Tone
20th Jan 2012, 09:29
Thanks for all the replies. The second monitor is a 10" Lilliput USB screen. The problem seems to be that if the PC is powered up with this connected the desktop icons get tidied. Plug it in after boot up and all is well - so this is the method I'm using.