PDA

View Full Version : Rotary to fixed wing conversion

ErrisG
16th Jan 2012, 16:10
I hold a commercial helicopter licence from the UK with 193hrs total time. Being pretty disillusioned with the industry in both Ireland (where I am from and live) and the UK, I am thinking about converting to fixed wing and trying for airlines. Just wondering does anyone know an approximate figure for how many hours I would be allowed to carry forward into the fixed wing training?...

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Wirbelsturm
16th Jan 2012, 16:18
A long while back I converted an ATPL(H) to ATPL(A), although with a few more hours than yourself (4500).

I contacted the CAA and discussed it with one of their FCL guys who was very helpful. I needed to do a CPL and a multi/IR. I did the multi IR in 10 hours and the CPL in 15. Quite a 'compressed' course!

Check with the CAA as I don;t think your total is high enough to get away with the above schedule.

ErrisG
16th Jan 2012, 16:23
Thanks for your response wirbel. I have a feeling I won't get away with that either! Did you have an IR(H)? Also where did you do your conversion?

Thanks.

Wirbelsturm
16th Jan 2012, 16:25
Yes I did have an IR (needed for ATPL(H)).

I did the conversion at Exeter flight training. Very good they were to. Not sure if they are still there, I'm going back a fair few years.

ErrisG
16th Jan 2012, 16:29
Thanks again!

Wirbelsturm
16th Jan 2012, 16:29
Yep, they are still going! Here you go.

Airways Flight Training (http://www.airwaysflighttraining.co.uk/index.html)

Speak to Brian, a top bloke and he might be able to answer your questions as he is very used to rotary to fixed wing conversion.

ErrisG
17th Jan 2012, 13:13
Cheers, will do!

helicrazi
27th May 2016, 18:52
Anyone done this lately? Would be interested in recent experience? What's the job market like for someone recently converted?

paco
27th May 2016, 18:57
Lively, I would say. After all, instruments is instruments.....

Bridging for theoretical knowledge involves only 5 exams.

helicrazi
27th May 2016, 19:59
Have you made the jump paco? Any guestimates on costings?

paco
27th May 2016, 20:01
I've been AC/DC for years :)

All I know is that BA (for one) seem to be after a lot of pilots, and N Sea veterans are looked upon favourably.

helicrazi
27th May 2016, 20:05
Thanks! :ok: