PDA

View Full Version : Career in the US

DavidFlies
16th Jan 2012, 15:19
Hi there,

I don't wish to ramble here but just out of curiosity, when I finish my professional flight training by the end of this year I would love to be able to apply for F/O positions with US carriers (Bizjets/Airlines etc...). In a nutshell, for a British person, is it possible to start a flying career in the US?!

Any information would be much appreciated. If you know anyone who has managed to move there for their career, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing how they went about it? I honestly haven't a clue where to start...

Many thanks

Rougueg
16th Jan 2012, 15:28
The licences would need converting so for example you will finish with a JAR CPL or EASA CPL. You would need to convert this and your IR and anyother ratings to FAA standards.

You would need ot pass a FAA medical and also i believe sit FAA ATPL exams.

Im a little surprised that someone studying to become a commercial pilot has never heard of the difference between FAA and JAR/EASA.

Good luck!

gooneydog
16th Jan 2012, 15:31
Also the right to live and work in the USA

Rougueg
16th Jan 2012, 15:36
Also true gooneydog...surprised i missed that one!
Cheers

zondaracer
16th Jan 2012, 16:03
In a nutshell, no.

First off is the right to work. Without citizenship or the green card, your chances are next to zero.

The license conversion isn't too hard. Just the IR and CPL
exam. If you don't meet the requirements for the ATP, then no point in taking the exam because the exam is only valid for two years and the "frozen ATPL" concept doesn't really exist like in Europe. The written exams are not too hard but you will have to pass the flight tests. The orals can be quite in depth and the CPL maneuvers will require some training to familiarize yourself with them.

A regional airline job requires somewhere between 700 and 1200 hrs as a starting point. Bizjet jobs require a bit more typically due to insurance and you often have to have a good "in." a good friend of mine was able to get a Bizjet job with around 1200TT, but he has been at flight safety as an instructor and was offered the jobs by clients. (plus he is a US citizen)

DavidFlies
16th Jan 2012, 22:55
Many thanks, Zondaracer.

Fullagas
19th Jan 2012, 04:59
Pilot jobs here are also at a premium. What's wrong with working where you're at? Use some imagination and initiative.

I'll stay here, you stay there. Works for me!