PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat (Klappsate)

seupp
13th Jul 2001, 22:36
Anybody know if it's possible to jumpseat (for free) with SAS, between U.S and Europe?

I'm an airline pilot(FAR121).

Any other European carrier you can jump with??

Any tips appreciated.

seupp

Hung start
13th Jul 2001, 23:31
I´m afraid not seupp. Nobody jumpseats for free on SAS. :( Not even SAS employees.
You´ll need an ID ticket. ( count on around $130. EWR-CPH-EWR)
Good luck in finding a free place.

seupp
14th Jul 2001, 00:00
Thanks for a swift response.

Used to work for SAS, but not anymore and I'm not with a company at the moment that has ID-tickets with SK.

Flights between US-Scandinavia usually pretty full, or??

seupp

KADS
14th Jul 2001, 01:32
Try either IAD-CPH with SAS which is a new route, which means it ought to be seats available if you go with ID tickets, otherwise try UPS or any of the other Big cargo airlines and try to jumpseat. As far as I have heard they are very accomodating and on top of that, it's free(!)

TowerDog
14th Jul 2001, 02:29
Delta took over the old Pan-Am route to Oslo
and they are "fairly" friendly as far as giving rides, especially if ya are on the good-guy list.

Is Delta still servicing Oslo?
(I know TWA quit flying on Norway a while ago, and perhaps Delta did too? Or am I mixing up the Tel-Aviv routes that Delta pulled out of, but TWA kept, but are being discontiued with the AA takeover?)

I have been getting free rides to Norway for quit a few years as we have Sprint for long distance phone service and for every dollar ya spend on phone, ya get 10 points toward a free ticket on Air Frog. With a $800 to $1,000 monthly phone bills it adds up fast.

Also used frequent flyer miles on AA to get free tickets on BA from DFW to LHR to OSL. Even Club Class.

Been jump seating Fred Olsen between Germany and Oslo a few times: Great guys, first class service on that old Electra.
But that was also a few years ago and F.O. is long out of business?

Had the same discussion a few weeks ago on this forum and a UPS pilot promised free rides on their system. Perhaps that is the way to go these days, but ya can't sip champagne and chat up the babe next to you on them freighters..
The price however seems reasonable...

:D

Edited for lousy spelling

[ 13 July 2001: Message edited by: TowerDog ]

turboturd
14th Jul 2001, 13:04
You are wrong Hung! About six years ago I jumpseated with SAS for free, no ticket from Newark to Copenhagen. At the gate I was told by the ramp-agent like you said and asked for a ticket. However I waited for the crew and walked up and asked the Captain. He said yes, no problem and I got to sit in first class all the way to Copenhagen. I guess it depends on who you ask. Officialy it's not allowed, but if you can take no for an answer I guess you got nothing to loose?

Nite_Flite
14th Jul 2001, 13:25
The Captain went over the authority. An SAS captain can not issue tickets. Good thing noone found out, or the could lose his and his familys ticket right for up to 5 years

Hung start
14th Jul 2001, 16:14
There you go turboturd. Nite Flite beat me to it. Wouldn´t happen today!!

seupp
14th Jul 2001, 21:14
First of all...thanx for all the inputs.

I have J/S with Delta from JFK-ARN, no problems, really nice people, just wanted to widen the odds.

Towerdog:

Where in Lauderdale do you live.

seupp

TowerDog
14th Jul 2001, 22:38
I live just East of I-95: Exit SR 84, and within walking distance of "Old Heidelberg",
the German place with all the beer and sausages... :D

Hows about yerself, ya Norsk?

(Trønder kanskje...?)

seupp
15th Jul 2001, 06:46
You're kidding, that's where the HQ of my previous company is!!

Lessen men jag ar svensk.

I'm up in Pompano Bch. just north of 14th str. on A1A....Lets have a brewskie sometime.

seupp

TowerDog
15th Jul 2001, 08:10
Roger on being a Swede....

My # is 465-4116.

E-post. [email protected]

A couple of Swedes down here in the neigborhood, a Dane or two, but mostly Norwegians. Which of course is good news.

Uh, seriously: Enough Scandis in South FL to start another Scandinavian PPRuNe, then some:
Join the group, we have the greatest 17th of May parties in the US.

Which firm do ya work for?

Hilsen TowerDog...Tårnbikkja fra Trondhjem.

seupp
15th Jul 2001, 23:28
TD:
I dropped you an e-mail.

seupp