PDA

View Full Version : The cat no longer needs his log in button

Loose rivets
15th Jan 2012, 05:08
After well over an hour wasted trying to get rid of the damn button to log myself in, I've given up.

When my laptop did that from sleep mode, this forum provided the answer in Power settings. However, I now just want my PC to boot up without having to press a button with my name on it. The only other button was for the cat, and he's moved next door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/DSC_0799.jpg

Searches seem almost unbelievably complex, with geeks writing scripts to stop things happening.

I just want to make tea while the thing boots, please help.

Oh, BTW, the cat is now four times the size and calls round every day.:)

Two_dogs
15th Jan 2012, 06:17
Here's how (Windows XP)

You can use Registry Editor to add your log on information. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Using your account name and password, double-click the DefaultUserName entry, type your user name, and then click OK.
Double-click the DefaultPassword entry, type your password under the value data box, and then click OK.

If there is no DefaultPassword value, create the value. To do this, follow these steps:

In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type DefaultPassword as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type your password in the Value Data box.

Note: If the DefaultPassword registry entry does not exist, Windows XP automatically changes the value of the AutoAdminLogonregistry key from 1 (true) to 0 (false) to turn off the AutoAdminLogon feature after the computer is restarted.
Double-click the AutoAdminLogon entry, type 1 in the Value Data box, and then click OK.

If there is no AutoAdminLogon entry, create the entry. To do this, follow these steps:

In Registry Editor, click Edit, click New, and then click String Value.
Type AutoAdminLogon as the value name, and then press ENTER.
Double-click the newly created key, and then type 1 in the Value Data box.

Exit Registry Editor.
Click Start, click Restart, and then click OK.

After your computer restarts and Windows XP starts, you can log on automatically.

If you want to bypass the automatic logon to log on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key after you log off or after Windows XP restarts. Note that this procedure applies only to the first logon. To enforce this setting for future logoffs, the administrator must set the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Here's How: (for Windows 7)

Click on Start and then enter the following command (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/g/commands.htm) in the search box:
netplwiz Press the ENTER key.
This command will load the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel applet (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsc/g/control-panel-applet.htm).
In the Users tab, uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the User Accounts window.
When the Automatically Log On dialog box appears, enter the user name you wish to automatically login to Windows 7 with. Then enter your account password in the two fields where it's asked.
Click the OK button.
Click OK on the User Accounts window to complete the process.
From now on, when your PC starts up, Windows 7 will log on automatically.

le Pingouin
15th Jan 2012, 11:45
And if you can't be bothered with all that palaver for WinXP, MS has provided a "Fix it" that will do the work for you:

How to turn on automatic logon in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231)

Loose rivets
16th Jan 2012, 15:49
Once again, thanks for the input. Sorry I forgot the OS type.

netplwiz - straight into the W7 Start Search and there it is. Untick box that says users must bla bla bla....