PDA

View Full Version : F4 Returning Home

Four Types
14th Jan 2012, 20:06
Just found this on the Beeb website. At least they are not scrapping it. Must check my log book....although I was more of a 'J' man myself.

BBC News - Phantom fighter jet to return to former Wattisham base (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16560411)

CharlieJuliet
14th Jan 2012, 21:34
I see from my logbook that the first time I flew 914 was 5 Feb 69. Glad to see that some of the them survive. ;)

COCL2
14th Jan 2012, 22:31
Two questions
1) after 20 years out of doors it must be a rustbucket. Just what is the point? Any "restoration" can only be a pastiche of the original
2) wasn't there a codicil in the original purchase which prevented any transfer of the Phantoms into preservation outside of government agencies? Has that been rescinded?

Laarbruch72
14th Jan 2012, 22:55
COCL2:
1: I think you're missing the point. They're not restoring it to flying condition or anything approaching it, just to the condition it was in the mid 90's when it was clean and nice to look at, rather than the moss covered thing it is now. They're restoring a gate guardian, so a good clean and a respray will do.
2: Aren't the Army still a "government agency" of sorts? Your argument doesn't seem to stand. Apologies if I've missed your point here but it's a museum piece, Wattisham aren't going to bomb Iran with it.
I spent a few years sat bored senseless with this airframe next to me, I remember it well.

COCL2
14th Jan 2012, 23:06
I got the impression (possibly wrong) that it was being handed over to a private group to repair / restore. If thats wrong then yes, my comment is invalid..

mmitch
15th Jan 2012, 10:04
The Wattisham Museum are to restore it in one of the HAS. See here.
Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums - View Single Post - Phantom XT914 coming home (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1845269&postcount=8)
mmitch.

newt
15th Jan 2012, 11:23
So now they want to put an F4 on the gate at Wattisham! What happened to the Lightning we placed on the gate in 1974 when 111 Squadron folded?

No doubt sent for scrap by some engineer who would not allow his troops to spend time looking after it!!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

COCL2
15th Jan 2012, 11:30
At a guess, it was probably corroded to a point where it was unsafe, just as this one will be in ten years or so.
Spending money on rust buckets like these is a total waste of time: it would be better spend on something that has a realistic chance of long term survival.. Preserve old aircraft by all means, but don't waster money on lost causes

just another jocky
15th Jan 2012, 11:43
Unsafe for what? Looking at?

Unbelieveable. :ugh:

newt
15th Jan 2012, 11:53
Is it still in Tremblers colours HaveQuick?

Looked great when we placed it next to the gate at Wattisham!!:ok:

soddim
15th Jan 2012, 14:40
I see from my logbook, CJ, that I must know you - I first flew XT 914 on 29 Jan 69. How time flies when you're having fun!

Scruffy Fanny
15th Jan 2012, 14:54
Newt - XM192 is preserved near RAF Coningsby - been repainted in original 111 Squadron coluours -the new owner is slowly restoring her and has managed to get electrical power on to cockpit lights - if you need more info let me know SF

MAINJAFAD
15th Jan 2012, 15:07
I got the impression (possibly wrong) that it was being handed over to a private group to repair / restore. If that's wrong then yes, my comment is invalid..

You're not wrong, Spey powered Phantoms cannot be given away to civil organisations under the original contract, hence the reason that XV420 got the chop at Neatishead in 2005 instead of going to the Radar Museum located right next door to where it was parked. What is most likely happening here is the aircraft will loaned to the private group but will still belong to MoD and in this case be kept on MoD Land (as is the rest of the Wattisham Preservation group's collection). Tangmere, Duxford and Solway are the only British civil museums to have complete Spey powered Phantoms on non MoD land, and the Duxford one is the only one that definitely civil owned (It was sold before the Yanks kicked up a stink about the disposal organisation not reading the rules laid down in the original contract). Tangmere's one is on loan from the RAFM and I assume that Solway's is also technically the MoD's as well.

Geehovah
15th Jan 2012, 20:23
Why can anyone be concerned at preserving a piece of the Nations heritage? IIRC we won the Cold War. I'm sure it'll be well looked after at Wattisham. It was 1980 before I flew that one but glad to see it survive.

newt
15th Jan 2012, 21:47
IIRC we won the Cold War!!!!!

So how do you work that one out?:E

Always a Sapper
15th Jan 2012, 22:15
Are the Phantoms still at Leuchars?

I seem to remember 3 or 4 of them in various states of rot dotted around the station, normally littering up 43 Sqns corner of the airfield.

There was a Black one too that spent it's life getting towed around the place. Last seen (by me) in the corner of the Aircraft Wash Hanger next to the Tornado that had the mid air and made it back home (that too got towed about a bit as space was needed).

Red Line Entry
16th Jan 2012, 08:08
Newt,

because we don't have to refer to you as Tovarich Newt? :ok:

(and under same criteria, not Herr Newt or Monsieur Newt either, so we've not done too badly over the last 200 years!)

Four Types
16th Jan 2012, 13:08
Having started this thread and also having just checked my Log Book (Mk 1) I am amazed to find that I had my first ever trip in an F4 in this very jet. My pilot was a certain well known individual usually referred to as 'The Major'. A little anecdote to this is that some 7 years later I went through the F3 OCU and was paired up with 'The Major' once again. As we sat on the pan waiting for No 2 to fix a snag 'The Major' offered that we might have flown together in the past. I replied that I had my first ever F4 trip with him, to which he replied 'Ah yes, neither of us has come very far since have we??' How true!

Geehovah
16th Jan 2012, 17:31
Four types; I flew my final flight in the F4 with The Major. He's still going strong flying his Spitfire:ok:

Newt, I give up. Check out your history books chap!

NazgulAir
16th Jan 2012, 17:45
Reminds me of that article in Pilot Magazine years ago, the story of one decommissioning flight that brought tears to my eyes.

newt
16th Jan 2012, 23:07
Geehovah!! You give up chap!! I did years ago!!

And if you read the history books I think you will find it was not so much a victory more of the end of a stalemate!!

No battles and no medals!!:=