PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problems

BOAC
14th Jan 2012, 08:17
I have finally moved to 10 since most banks now seem to have 'caught up', but I am still finding FF strangles my machine. Even access to my router hangs and moves so slowly, whereas the dreaded IE is functioning flawlessly. Done all the usual, add-ons off, cache cleared. I feel it may be time to leave. Quite honestly all the 'new versions' are getting tiring - most of the 'security issues' could surely be sorted with updates as with other browsers?

Have its glory days gone?

green granite
14th Jan 2012, 09:36
Must be something in your settings BOAC, I'm running V10 and V11a with no problems.

boguing
14th Jan 2012, 12:30
I gave up on FF a few weeks ago. Just didn't like the recent interface, and couldn't be bothered to make changes to it.

Switched to Chrome, which I now like a lot.

Out of interest FF was using more than 400Mb of memory. Chrome is using half of that. I've got 8Gb of ram, so it doesn't matter to me, but will badly affect a low ram machine.

BOAC
14th Jan 2012, 12:55
"add-ons off, cache cleared" - what other settings would you suggest, GG?

I personally think FF has 'had its day'. It was brilliant when it arrived and knocked MS for six. Now I feel. it is too big and clunky. I have tried Opera this am and it is 'flying', but I'm not sure I like the interface.

green granite
14th Jan 2012, 14:14
Have you tried creating a new profile? It can sometimes be beneficial to do that, see if it solves the problem, and then add what you need

In case you've forgotten how to do it: Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base (http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_new_Firefox_profile_on_Windows)

COCL2
14th Jan 2012, 14:40
The current stable version of Firefox is 9.0.1
If you are using a "10! version then you are playing with an unstable beta

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2012, 15:04
This has prompted me to look. My Texas machine is on 4 0 1. Wondered why I liked it so much. The UK laptop just got worse and worse while I was there.

Nothing I could do would allow the downloading of 4 xx 5 xx turned up and was closely followed by the rest.

green granite
14th Jan 2012, 15:04
Who says it's unstable? I've been playing with both the alpha and the beta releases of 10 and also the alpha of 11 and there is no instability that I've noticed, yes there may be the odd bug but so far I've not found one and I do give them a good hammering.

BOAC
14th Jan 2012, 15:38
LR - Old Version of Firefox 5.0 Download - OldApps.com (http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=122) although I have a vestigial memory' that 5 was considered a security risk.

GG - didn't know I could have a 'second life' - I will try. Thanks.

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2012, 19:50
My punctuation was missing altogether. I wanted 4, but despite the download button saying 4, I got 5. I'm not at all sure about the speeds, it isn't an issue that's troubled me with my undemanding requirements.

It's not enough of an issue to actually retrofit 4. Just the simplicity of the top menu is to my tiny mind very . . . well, simple.:bored: