PDA

View Full Version : hour calculator

asddsa
13th Jan 2012, 14:56
Hi guys,

looking for a quick and easy way to add hours.

Tried with excel several times.. it works but once in a while the cell formatting gets mixed up and it's a complete mess!

I need something quick where you can paste your hours in a HH:MM format and get the total in total hours and decimals eg: 10:30 hours = 10.5 hrs

Anything that you use already maybe?

green granite
13th Jan 2012, 15:18
Any good? DollarTimes.com | Add Hours, Minutes and Seconds (http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/hours-minutes-calculator.htm)

UnDeterminator
13th Jan 2012, 15:25
It's a bit wierd but, let's say you enter 10:55 in cell A1.

In cell B1, enter the formula for conversion: =A1*24

Excel's brainless 'Intellisense' will try to display it in HH:MM format which makes no sense: You need to change the number format to Number, 2 decimal places, and you will get 10.92

This will work with huge amounts of hours beyond 24.

Good luck...

asddsa
13th Jan 2012, 15:49
nice, but I was looking for something offline!

mutt
13th Jan 2012, 17:04
Try this

=(A4-INT(A4))*24

Make sure column A is HH:MM then put the formula in column B, (This can be hidden later)

You can add the figures in column B normally as they are decimals, lets say..

=sum(B1:B10) this is in B11. If column A11 = B11, you will get a HH:MM total.

I'm sure that there are other ways, but this works.

Mutt

Capn Bloggs
13th Jan 2012, 22:29
Reverse Engineer this spreadsheet and you'll get the hang of what's going on:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57161768/MR%202%20Times.xls

Columns C and F are hidden.

Spurlash2
14th Jan 2012, 00:23
I like that a lot, Capn Bloggs. A lot less keyboard action compared to inputting hh:mm:ok:

But I think that for asddsa to get his decimal minutes (.1, .5, .7 for example), he will have to use the ROUND function on the Totals cell (in your example, C8) of column C. =ROUND(C8/60,1)

Capn Bloggs
14th Jan 2012, 01:34
Arr, yes, Splash, I should RTFQ! :ouch: ROUND would do it.

asddsa
14th Jan 2012, 14:25
Hello Mr. Bloggs!
I really like your xls but I cannot select the cells for the totals to move them down and add more rows!
I need about 15 rows to add the flt times..

Did you lock it in any way or am I just dumb?

Spurlash2
14th Jan 2012, 15:03
asddsa,

You will need to unprotect the spreadsheet.

Review|Unprotect sheet, in Off 2010.

Unhide the hidden columns, as well.

HTH.

bnt
16th Jan 2012, 09:51
Using dates & times in Excel is a doddle, if you're willing to take a little time to learn it. Sometimes the automatic formatting works, sometimes not - so you may as well get used to doing it manually, then you always know where you are. Handy shortcut key: Ctrl+1 brings up the cell formatting box.

It also helps to remember that in Excel's internal representation, a day = 1, so an hour = 1/24 days, and so on. That has to be correct before the formatting will look right - if it all seems bizarra, check it by going back to "general" format.