PDA

View Full Version : Life after a line training

sandlover
13th Jan 2012, 11:07
Hey all,

I am starting this thread to find out how good or how bad were this programs for your career? Did you get a job after the company kick you out upon finishing your 500 hours? Did you go home and start doing something else to pay the loan back?
Most of the companies/ agencies require a minimum of 500 on type but do they really hire guys with 500 on type?

Happy landings!

bedix84
13th Jan 2012, 11:17
Yes it would be nice to hear how many achieved their goal after the LT and how many others not!

Hope people are gonna write here soon and tell us theyr story.
Good Point Sandlover :ok:

cavallino
13th Jan 2012, 11:47
For the moment, I have never met a pilot which used this kind of line training program which is jobless now.

Personally, after more than 3 years looking for a job (with a valid A320 type rating), I have no other choice that doing this kind of program too in the coming months. Currently, with no hour on type and less than 500h TT, there is no chance to find a job anywhere in the world on Airbus.

It may change in the coming months but I prefer not wait too long, and go directly through this kind of program. As my type rating is old (3 years), airlines are not interested anymore by my rating and this is my last chance to come back in a good position as job seekers!

MrMutra
13th Jan 2012, 12:44
Most companies are asking not just 500 hours on type, but total time as well in excess of 1500 hours. So if your low houred you have to consider this too.

I think the P2F scheme will never end, and well see only more companies cashing in on it. After 3 years of searching I cannot believe why airlines are still asking for 500 hours on type, there really cant be that many on the market. So is it a ploy by the agencies to see whats out there ?

So if you can get the money do it, spend spend spend. I know Co-pilots who are now paying for LHS hours, and then they think life will be good when they leave for china, and cash in.

This really is a bad job to be in, just a joke, no wonder there is no respect, its not even a profession.

Good luck to you all

ford cortina
13th Jan 2012, 17:51
There have been lots of threads on this already, search for Eagle Jet

wellwisher
13th Jan 2012, 18:21
p2f is worth only if u got a pull in the airlines u wish to join-in after your 500 hour line-training.

Journey Man
14th Jan 2012, 12:43
Did you get a job after the company kick you out upon finishing your 500 hours? Did you go home and start doing something else to pay the loan back?
No, the company trained me and would have lost money had they kicked me out. That's one of the benefits of getting a job. Sorry, but I do understand the lure of these schemes but feel many who are in the position they are in have made their own beds.

Cavallino, whilst I can sympathise with your current position it is one you have created for yourself. As harsh as that may be, your situation serves as a stark warning to the financial risks of taking on an SSTR. You have no real experience, yet with an expired A320 type-rating you have alienated yourself from the turboprop operators, who will view you as a poor long term prospect, and the Airbus operators are not interested as you have no relevant experience, and non on type. The financial stress must be incredible, and I wish you the best of luck and hope you get things back on track soon.

So if you can get the money do it, spend spend spend.
:yuk: The example that Cavallino makes is entirely wasted. Whilst I can wish Cavallino heartfelt hope that his lot will change, I cannot abide such short sightedness as demonstrated by this attitude. Cavallino - what are the personal effects of having such an alabatross around your neck? Would you advise people in the situation you were in to "spend, spend, spend" such as MrMutra does?

Fepilot et al are right - this industry needs some patience. :D The first step is the big one. I remain unconvinced that an SSTR is the right first step. There are no guarantees of a job and just as many don't make the first step with SSTRs, yet now they have a huge financial burden.

Good luck to you all.

cavallino
16th Jan 2012, 12:26
You are right, I contributed to create my situation (low hour + A320 type rating with no hour on type) but after 2 years failling to get a job with only a CPL-IR-MCC, I have been contacted by a french A320 TRTO. They offered me to get my A320 type rating + line training at Wizzair followed by a full employment contract at Wizzair. The problem is that it was a scam (yes it exists in France too) and I never got the opportunity to do my line training. After 3 years of procedures with lawyers, I know I will have no line training from this TRTO because they never sign any contract to train low hours pilot for Wizzair.

This is why I am in the worst case to find a job now and P2F option is my last chance to come back in a good position as job seeker.
So, you are right, it's my fault. I should never sign this contract without receive a firm employment contract directly from the Airline Wizzair.

Poeli
16th Jan 2012, 12:55
I simply don't understand as someone who hasn't his ATPL how paying for a job will help you getting a job.:ugh:
You are making more debts to get out of debts. For someone who's not an ATPL student or ex-ATPL'er it is very hard to understand this thinking.

Journey Man
16th Jan 2012, 15:53
Cavallino,

Best of luck with getting things back on track. I mean that sincerely.

Out of curiosity can I ask how much is getting into the A320 worth? How much will you spend to get there?

As I said above, best of luck and hope you can get back online, and more than anything I hope you get online soon without having to pay to do so.

cavallino
17th Jan 2012, 08:26
The deal was 40,000 Euros for A320 Type rating + 100/150h Line training + Permanent employment at Wizzair. Salary was close to 1,000 Euros during the line training and 1,500/1,800 Euros after.
Currently, I spent 30,000 Euros (just for the Type Rating).

Fullagas
19th Jan 2012, 04:55
PFT is ludicrous.

What ever happened to getting the instructor ratings and working on building time? Instructing, pipeline patrol, skydive pilot, banner towing, corporate FO, and many others I'm sure I've missed.

Oops, forgot! Some sales guy sold you on a PFT program (of course with no employment guarantee), you paid big bucks (in one case, 3 years ago!:rolleyes:) and now you commiserate on message boards like this one.

I guess quality operators hire quality people, and treat them accordingly...

cavallino
19th Jan 2012, 12:38
Hi Fullagas,

You seems to be too far away from Europe and from the real pilot market to insinuate there are a lot of means to build time (like skydive pilot, banner towing...). I spent 2 years trying to find this kind of job, before my type rating. The answer was always the same, even for banner towing : you need to have at least 1000h total flight time to get the job (500h in few cases).

The only possibility is to get an instructor rating, you are right on this point. But it costs more than 10000$, you need to spend between 1 to 2 months to get the rating and after, you have to work for free as instructor. Not really easy when you have to pay back a loan for the initial training CPL/IR. But it remains a good option if you have no debt.