PDA

View Full Version : LAHSO in the US

ozineurope
13th Jan 2012, 03:07
I am doing some research on Land and Hold Short operations.
Are there any airlines/operators who do not participate in LAHSO as a matter of company SOP?

regards

PT6A
13th Jan 2012, 03:38
BAW do not... Infact I dont think any UK.. Maybe EU-OPS operators do.

Heavy D
19th Jan 2012, 15:40
Dear OZ in Europe,
LAHSO is a voluntary program by which airlines can choose to subscribe to. If they are approved by the FAA (CAA in Europe), they are given specific airports where they are approved to conduct LAHSO. Usually these are busy airports that have concurrent operations on intersecting runways, such as LGA, BOS, or MDW, to name a few.
When it comes down to it, however, it is the PIC who ultimately decides if he or she wants to accept the LAHSO clearance at the time, given the weather conditions at the time of arrival. Exact approval or disapproval of an air carrier's LAHSO authority can be found in the airline's Operations Specifications. The Ops Specs is a document agreed upon by the airline and the FAA. For the pilots concerned, a violation of Ops Specs is also a violation of FARs. I hope this helps.
Fly Safe!
Heavy D

ozineurope
20th Jan 2012, 01:46
Thanks Heavy and PT6.

To paraphrase - LAHSO is only available to operators who have an LOA/approval with/from FAA and only to specific aerodromes. Correct?

Just trying to establish some international practice for a review being conducted in Oz.

cheers

Dan Winterland
20th Jan 2012, 14:01
The UK CAA recommended that LAHSO clearances were not accepted by UK operators after a BA aircraft had an incident in about 2000 at ORD. As a result, BA, Virgin Atlantic and the RAF didn't allow the procedure. This was a few years ago and may have changed - but I doubt it.

340drvr
20th Jan 2012, 16:32
A few years ago, at 3 out of 3 different small Part 135 charter companies I worked for (piston twins, turboprops, Citations), we were NOT approved for LAHSO in our Ops Specs. It was my impression that Not Approved was the norm for most operators (of that class), and that approval for LAHSO would be the exception, in general.

MarkerInbound
21st Jan 2012, 03:37
Yes, only certain airports. Usually they'll have intersecting runways or a taxi path from an outboard runway that crosses an inboard runway. DFW is a good example. Both the cargo carriers I've worked for since the program started have not participated. Training department didn't want to develop another program ad operations didn't want to pay for more landing data they'd hardy use and not benefit from.

Brindabella
24th Jan 2012, 07:35
Here (https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:ASf2vfKmp34J:www.airwestinc.com/airwest/documents/Ops%2520Specs.pdf+Operations+Specification+A027&hl=en&gl=au&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgtNwf0y9l-WjgQ5Y_ghDbNCjYerMER2hp9cco0Br7K80m7eRzJXBBKRGqqWAvJZqeOXspt oFZInzH-5yp-tv9eXtJWELwsoDumXHtHQs9nvI9myh8rJ3sg2VRlxBCrontWnAKb&sig=AHIEtbTyVhSUNRZIlgHG7yJAbqsWT3z37A) is an example of the Ops Specs for a small charter operation.

A027 is the Ops Spec relating to LAHSO for US airlines who wish to participate.