PDA

View Full Version : Hiding - protecting a file

Rwy in Sight
11th Jan 2012, 17:01
I have a usb key that I carry with me along with my home keys. Ι have some files on it that I like to keep them hidden/protected should I ever loose the USB key. Some time back there was a thread about the issue but I can find it.

What would you recommend - besides not loosing the key ring.

Many thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Rwy in Sight

Capetonian
11th Jan 2012, 17:06
I would put them onto a 'cloud' storage site such as Dropbox. USB keys are susceptible to damage, as well as loss.

I learnt this the hard way ....... I put some presentations onto a USB key, travelled 6000 miles to give the presentations, and the files had somehow become corrupted.

BOAC
11th Jan 2012, 17:22
Plenty of freeware encryption utilities - but then you need to work out how you will decrpyt the files.............................:)

muten
11th Jan 2012, 19:38
TrueCrypt is a nice app, you can make it portable to include it in the USB and encrypt the unit... visit their web so you can think if it suits your needs.

BOAC
11th Jan 2012, 20:13
include it in the USB and encrypt the unit.but then you need to work out how you will decrpyt the files - refer post #1?

mixture
11th Jan 2012, 20:21
Plenty of freeware encryption utilities - but then you need to work out how you will decrpyt the files.............................

Simply find a utility that creates self-extracting encrypted archives.

Job done.

mixture
11th Jan 2012, 20:23
USB keys are susceptible to damage, as well as loss.

And cloud storage isn't ? :ugh:

Cloud storage is nothing but a bunch of servers in a datacentre, infact, its worse than that, because they generally use cutting edge unproven software architecture to spread the files around.

Everything is susceptible to data loss Mr Captonian, everything.... that's why I keep banging on that you should have a minimum of three independent copies of your data at any one time.

Capetonian
11th Jan 2012, 20:25
Agreed, but I suspect that an application such as Dropbox is more robust than a USB key. Better of course would be to store on both.

NaKalloy
11th Jan 2012, 21:22
use Truecrypt
not only can you encrypt the files, you can hide them from view , or hide the partition they are on
You can also now buy relatively cheaply pen drives which come with their own hardware encryption, but that won't actually hide the files.
what you use depends on what you want it for. If you need to avoid detection of your posession of the files, then you need Truecrypt. By using that, the existence of the files is totally deniable

Airborne Aircrew
11th Jan 2012, 22:34
Run your own server is an option too...

osmosis
11th Jan 2012, 22:47
I have used usb keys to store folders of files containing only text files thinking they were a huge step forward from having to burn compact discs. But one by one when I have tried to access those files to update them, I receive an error "this disc is unusable". I had multiple backups but it got really messy trying to maintain all of them. Now, I back up onto an external HDD and when necessary go to it for extraction. I have found 4-8 gig usb keys are handy if you don't put too much on them.

NaKalloy
11th Jan 2012, 22:49
you can't put your own server into a pocket. Nor can you always log into it remotely from overseas...
The theory is good, but the reality is that the internet is'nt always that instantly available yet

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2012, 01:36
As well as encrypting the files, you could also add a selection of apps from the PortableApps range and take your working environment with you.

As others have said, Truecrypt works very well and is cross-platform (with a bit of farting around)

A A Gruntpuddock
12th Jan 2012, 11:51
Apparently some people are buying low-capacity drives then sticking programs on them to make them seem larger.

They act as if data is being stored but you can't recover it.

I use this program to check any usb drive I get -

BurnInTest - Detecting fake and oversize USB drive capacity (http://www.passmark.com/support/bit_fake_USB_detection.htm)

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2012, 12:22
h2testw is free.

A A Gruntpuddock
12th Jan 2012, 14:28
Download H2testw 1.4 Free - Check your USB for errors with this tool. - Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml)

eBay Australia Guides - BEWARE of FAKE 128GB 256GB USB Flash Drives on eBay (http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Beware-of-FAKE-1GB-2GB-4GB-8GB-USB-Flash-Drives-on-eBay_W0QQugidZ10000000000706427)

Avtrician
13th Jan 2012, 11:46
Have you tried the simple right click on the file, go to properties and tick the hide option.

Of course, you wont be able to see it there either. :eek:

COCL2
13th Jan 2012, 15:45
simply hiding the file is not secure

Avtrician
14th Jan 2012, 05:52
True , it doesnt secure the file. but the orginal quetion was hidden/protected, so in essence hiding does protect against casual intrusion.. I also took the slash (/) as an or making the question hide or protect.

Rwy in Sight
15th Jan 2012, 08:01
Thanks for all the help so far. Regarding Avtrician's points yes he/she is right. I think I should go for the protecting part as I want to keep the files unaccessible to everyone who might find my USB.

As usual the help is really helpfull:ok:

Rwy in Sight

Groundbased
16th Jan 2012, 12:21
For business I use Safestick which is a proprietary encrypted memory stick with onboard AV etc, although these are expensive, we can manage these sticks from a central console which is useful for keeping track of who has what data.

For my own stuff I use Truecrypt to create encrypted containers on a stick. The good thing about this is that you can use them on any machine, you just open them up with the credentials you have created. With other encryption solutions the stick will only work in conjunction with the machine with which you encrypted it and to make sure you could recover the data in the event of the machine going belly up you need to back up the keys, which is a bit fiddly.

I'd be reluctant to store anything in the cloud.

Fareastdriver
25th Jan 2012, 18:25
I have a Kingston Data Traveller. It is a USB flash drive with and open and encrypted partitions. You have to load the password into you own computer and use the same computer the other end. However, should you want to use the flash drive between office and home then both computers can be programmed. I doubt if it can resist a drive recovery program but it will stop the casual observer looking in if he should find it.

FullOppositeRudder
26th Jan 2012, 01:41
Imation supply a locking program on some of their USB drives. As I recall, it creates a "hidden" partition on which sensitive data can be stored. To access this partition you need to enter your previously set password. A limited number of tries is permitted; once that is exceeded, it re-formats the partition anyway.

One useful aspect of this is that on the open partition one can store "red herring" data which could lead the finder to conclude that's all there is on the device and not to explore further even if they had a reasonable chance of success.

Google "Imation Lock" for further information.