PDA

View Full Version : Epilepsy

pudd
11th Jan 2012, 11:38
Medical question.. has anybody managed to get their class one medical/license back after suffering several seizures,diagnosed as Epilepsy (abnormal EEG) and finally stabilized by Medication?

If yes, how long did they have to wait?

Wodrick
11th Jan 2012, 14:18
I can't answer your flying qualifications question, but it took me nine years to get an unrestricted driving license after my year off the road. Can't see the CAA being too much different - sorry.

gingernut
11th Jan 2012, 18:44
Abnormal EEG could be argued, a label of epilepsy might be harder.

Try a search.:)

Agaricus bisporus
11th Jan 2012, 20:49
As a pax I'd be horrified it it could be done under any circumstance.
As a pilot I'd not believe it could be done under any circumstance.
Try looking at the appropriate CAP. Its all there, chapter and verse. But what makes anyone imagine that a Class A medical could possibly be allowed after such history? Unthinkable. I hope.

gingernut
11th Jan 2012, 21:43
Agaricus, I could examine your medical notes, and find that, as a child, you had a rigour due to a feverish illness.

In the wrong hands, this could easily translate to "epilepsy" and "seizure."

grounded27
12th Jan 2012, 00:26
I suffered from Epilepsy as a child, after several years of treatment at a young age I was weened off the drug I was on and had no further problems but they say children often do grow out of it, best wishes.

On a side note, I was sitting behind a captain on short final. His condition unknown to me he started having a full on tourette's attack (not the swearing kind just the severe head twitching). The added stress of landing made this a common event, I was a bit startled at first but it had absolutely no effect on his performance. As a matter of fact I do not think I ever had a rough landing with the guy.

homonculus
12th Jan 2012, 18:36
Come on Gingernut a febrile convulsion as a child does not increase the risk of fits as an adult. A diagnosis of epilepsy except that limited to sleep does. A fit when flying in any capacity would potentially kill hundreds.

I agree - epilepsy is incompatible with flying unless the fit is related to a specific pathology such as a space occupying lesion that has been eliminated

Sorry

Rory Dixon
12th Jan 2012, 19:58
JAR FCL 3, appendix 11 is fairly clear on this topic:

3 Epileptiform paroxysmal EEG abnormalities and focal slow waves normally are disqualifying. Further evaluation shall be carried out by the AMS.

4 A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and unless the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 are disqualifying. However, in case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence by a consultant neurologist acceptable to the AMS, a fit assessment may be considered by the AMS.

5 An applicant having had a single afebrile epileptiform seizure which has not recurred after at least 10 years while off treatment, and where there is no evidence of continuing predisposition to epilepsy, may be assessed as fit if the risk of a further seizure is considered to be within the limits acceptable to the AMS.
For a Class 1 fit assessment a multi-pilot (Class 1 ‘OML’) limitation shall be applied.

So, with the initial question of multiple seizures, stabilized by medication, regaining a class 1 would not be in line with the guidance.

pudd
13th Jan 2012, 13:35
many thanks for the information gentlemen.

gingernut
13th Jan 2012, 19:15
In complete agreement Homon, perhaps I've not expressed myself correctly.

The point I'm trying to make, is that the label of "epilepsy" can sometmes be made without empirical evidence-it does happen unfortunately.

It's probably not helpful in pudd's case, so I'll scrub my response, happy to stand corrected.:)

Fostex
19th Jan 2012, 16:45
My initial class II is being deferred to Gatwick because I had a head injury 7 years ago, and this is despite me never having had a seizure or epileptic type event and not requiring any neurosurgery or suffering any cognitive defect! The JAR-FCL 3 is pretty clear and the JAA, CAA are rightfully cautious.

My AME is hopeful I will get a class two as a consultant neurosurgeon reported my risk of developing PTE ( Post Trauma Epilepsy ) to now be similar to that of the general population. i.e. < 1%

However if you have ever had a seizure the prognosis is not good, especially for a class 1.

As others have pointed out examine your medical records closely and make sure there is no inaccurate or misleading diagnostic information. The AMEs can only work with what is provided to them and it may be worth obtaining a consultant report to clearly paint an accurate picture of your history and current status.

pudd
20th Jan 2012, 04:55
Hi Fostex,
I am on my third consultant, trying to see if I can disprove they were seizures by looking at 24hr ECG's,tilt tests and a 24 BP monitor hoping the episodes may have been triggered by cardiac issues..

Anyway slim hope for me, but worth a shot! had the usual knocks to the head growing up but nothing that shouts out a trigger for the above,good luck with the Class II.

PS, grounded 27, I remember that guy, think he worked at Dan Air too on the BAC 1-11, scary to watch from the jumpseat!!

Fostex
20th Jan 2012, 07:41
Thanks, same to you. Hope everything works out. Worst thing about a lot of these issues is that to be classed as 'free from risk', long periods of time, in years, usually have to pass.

pudd
29th Jul 2012, 07:41
Hi guys, tried but failed to recover my licence, looking at 3 years on Medication then 10 years seizure free and they may consider some sort of review :( going to be flying the desk for a while..

Ovation
17th Aug 2012, 07:47
There's a thread running on this very subject here:Barry Hempel (http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/487144-barry-hempel-inquest.html)

to summarise, a CPL had a traumatic head injury causing epilepsy and refused to stop flying, while at the same time the regulatory authority (CASA) knew all the facts but failed to act and stop him flying. It makes for interesting reading.

Oh, and the reason why the thread was started?

Barry killed himself AND his paying passenger while on an "Adventure Flight", and it all came to light during the Coronial Inquest (in Brisbane Australia).

Loose rivets
19th Aug 2012, 04:00
Epilepsy and migraine are linked in the minds of the medical authorities. I find it odd that Migraineurs can gain/regain a license so quickly - albeit restricted to multi-crew operations only.

The pilot you're referring to was an instructor at Oxford in the early 60s. In those days such a problem was referred to simply as a 'tick', despite the rather alarming outward symptoms. Despite this, he pressed on with quite a successful career. According to one of his crew, the problem calmed during increased pressure, of for example, a demanding approach.

Certainly, in his last job at retirement age, he was much liked and respected by his crews.