PDA

View Full Version : Information regarding B1.2 licencing, etc

Soy
11th Jan 2012, 11:00
Hi all

I've been trawling this and other websites, the CAA etc, trying to get a complete picture of how someone can qualify to work on piston-engine a/c with a Part 66 B1.2 licence.

From what I understand, I can either attend a Part 147 approved training course - to include an OJT training element of 400hrs - completing all the modules of the syllabus required and then gaining the licence, this being followed by 2 years practical experience in the workplace; or I can self-study with the caveat that I must both complete all the exams within 5 years of passing the first one I take, plus I must gain 3 years practical experience either directly before, during or after taking the exams but prior to applying for the licence.

If this is incorrect, please let me know!

Where I'm drawing a blank is, where can I find companies that provide Part 147 approved courses specific to B1.2 (i.e. piston engine) and does anybody know of any maintenance organisations that provide work for people seeking to fulfil the experience requirements of the licensing?

I've googled this lot and can't find any companies that provide B1.2 training with reference to type rating on the basic Cessna / Piper family of aircraft; it all seems to be more business/airline specific. That's not the end of the world as I can always self-study, but the 400hr OJT element and the work experience requirement is a problem. I don't currently work in the industry; I'm seeking a career change.

Thanks in advance for any advice.