PDA

View Full Version : Cranfield University

Turbo_Fan
10th Jan 2012, 14:44
Hello!

I have a BSc on Aeronautical Sciences, plus a fATPL (low hours) and an EASA 66 B1 AMT License. It hasn't been easy to find a job (specially as FO) so I am thinking to develop my studies further by enroll on a MSc at Cranfield University.

I'm focusing either Airworthiness MSc or Safety and Accident Investigation MSc.

May someone provide some more feedback about the University and its Courses?
As far as I know is a huge step regarding employment. Futhermore would it be advantageous to find employment opportunities as FO?

Thank you all.

Cheers

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jan 2012, 15:28
Superb courses at a world leading university, but irrelevant to your employment as an FO.

Potentially very beneficial to many other professional aerospace careers.

Quite hard to get into - if you have a "packaged with fATPL" Aeronautical Sciences BSc and haven't significant industry background to go with it, Cranfield may not regard you as sufficiently academically qualified to either of those courses, although the part 66 licence will help.

But, if you get in, and graduate of either of those MSc programmes, you are extremely employable in many areas of our industry. Adding the fATPL to that won't do any harm - it'll just make no difference to getting a right hand seat job.

Later, once you're in the left hand seat, either course is also very valuable in developing a senior career role within the industry.

G

Jason2000
19th Jan 2012, 09:49
The courses are excellent - I was there in 2004/5, great facilities and Graham Braithwaite has a great team of staff there in the Air Transport Dept. You'll learn a lot and all very relevant to the aviation industry as Genghis stated. I've got some great jobs in aviation since studying and put Cranfield down as the real stepping stone.

Ironically, I want to go into flying also - that's always been the goal to be honest. Only a PPL so far, 29 y/o and plan on doing my ATPL in the next 2-3 years once I've saved up all the required funds. I would like to think that the courses would help me get a foot in the door at an airline for my first job...but I'm not holding my breath in that respect. However the connections and future contacts that I've made since studying should be very helpful - if you look at it that way.

CherokeeDriver
19th Jan 2012, 10:28
Non-aviation related, but I did an MBA at the School of Management a couple of years ago. Cranfield is an excellent post-graduate only University, with world leading facilities.

If you decide to go, make sure you introduce yourself to Pete at the social club. You couldn't wish to meet a nicer chap.