PDA

View Full Version : test flt vs check flt

Lowmick
10th Jan 2012, 08:14
Hi,
I am seeking some definitions about "Test Flight" and "After maintenance check flight".
IMHO:
- during Test Flight pilot tests something new on the airplane (new wings, new undercarriage, new tail, powerplant) or change in weight/balance. This pilot needs TST rating.
- during After maintenance check flight pilot just check function of all systems (flight after 100hrs maintenance, after overhaul etc.). Pilot just need proper type rating on that plane.

Am I right? I've seen document on EASA webpage that describe it exactly, but cant find it anymore...

Thanks for advice

steve_oc
10th Jan 2012, 12:04
You are basically correct. You are maybe looking for EASA NPA 2008-20. It is here:

http://hub.easa.europa.eu/crt/docs/viewnpa/id_53

Genghis the Engineer
10th Jan 2012, 12:26
Historically in the UK this would be the difference between B conditions and A conditions, there's a similar distinction in the SETP membership criteria:

B-conditions / test flight /experimental flight - "there's new information we don't have and are flying to obtain that information, most likely outside the existing cleared envelope in some way". This sort of flight testing also generally requires task specific risk assessments.

A-conditions / check flight / production test flight - "it's been built or modified to a known good standard, and are flying to confirm that, and are firmly within an existing cleared envelope". Generic operating risks apply, without special risk assessments.

The requirement for a flight test rating / authorisation is a whole separate kettle of fish. Under the coming EASA rules a "flight test rating" will be required for testing of aeroplanes above 2000kg, under what would have been UK B-conditions. Under 2000kg that won't be required. The FT rating will require 1000+ hours on class and an IR.

Historically the UK required a form (the AD458) to be submitted to the CAA which was basically a very short test flying CV, and on the basis of that personal approval was given. France and Germany had formal flight test ratings based upon a specific syllabus. The new EASA rules, reasonably pragmatically, work very like the UK's AD458 system, whilst "looking" at the end very like the French/German system from the outside.

(Military regulations are different, but the basic principles don't change.)

G

Lowmick
10th Jan 2012, 13:56
Aaaaah, thank you Steve. I have probably this document opened maybe milion times, but missed that part :ugh:

Genghis the Engineer: it is quite interesting, that they deleted ACR (acrobatic qualification) requirement and instead put in IR...