PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best deal at the moment? Emirates/Qatar/FD/Etihad?

Lowrey
9th Jan 2012, 22:05
I am considering leaving Europe for the Middle east?

Which airline currently offers the best conditions for a B737 first officer with 3000 hours?

How much difference is there between the long haul carriers? Salary, housing, crew hotels when underway, atmosphere, future upgrade opportunities etc.

And how does FlyDubai fit in? Is it correct that the salary is quite a lot better than Emirates, but with out housing (how much extra do you get at Emirates if you opt out)? Would it be faster to command with said 3000 hours on 737 already (and hence even higher salary within short term than the long haul carriers, where it would be expected to fly as F/O for 5-7 years)?

Thanks to anyone who would take the time to shed some light on this :)

jibba_jabba
9th Jan 2012, 22:48
This thread may give you an idea:

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/473668-big-move.html

pilotcpb
9th Jan 2012, 22:57
You should go to the hiring roadshows that the ME carriers are always doing in Europe and see what happens. Also you should seriously read up on what the GCC countries are like and get an idea of what its like being there. Then, go there for a weekend. A guy at one of my interviews studied his tail off then decided he hated the Middle east in general; he probably could have avoided all that trouble by just taking a vacation there first.

Do as much research as you can based on what YOU want in an airline, country, etc because once you send an application in you may get an interview invite the very next day, ask me how I know.....

I don't feel like I have an authoritative answer for you as for which carrier is best BUT I have met pilots for EK, QR, EY, AND GF and for the most part they all have the same complaints. I did turn down a job at GF because of the unrest.

Lowrey
10th Jan 2012, 02:31
Thanks, good advice about taking a vacation there before deciding. I was thinking about that as well. The "Big move" thread doesn't address all my questions, except that it seems the atmosphere is better at Emirates over Qatar and Etihad.
Regarding roadshows it never seems to fit with my schedule. Hence the reason for posting here.

Let me be more specific with my questions:

Where will I earn the most money?

1) E.g. Emirates AED 29.000 vs. FD AED 38.000.
Do I get more than AED 9.000 if opting out of Emirates provided accommodation?

2) Are Etihad and Qatar paying less or more than Emirates.

3) If going long haul, I imagine being in hotels many days a month. How are e.g. the hotels with Emirates? 5 star? downtown or airport? Any particular chain of hotels, e.g. Hilton? Don't like the idea to be stuck in some dirty airport hotel half the month. There is no information about that on the Emirates career website.

Thanks again

Iver
10th Jan 2012, 02:48
Lowrey,

Come to the Middle East with your eyes WIDE OPEN. Flydubai would be at the lower end of the scale IMO. I'd try for EK first, QR next (787s coming in June) and then EY.

I probably wouldn't even consider FD - read the threads about FD and you will understand why... None of these airlines is close to perfect, so, expect challenges anywhere you go and visit the Gulf BEFORE applying to make sure you can handle the culture and the blazing heat.

pilotcpb
10th Jan 2012, 12:39
I'd say Iver has got it nailed; I never even considered FD mainly because they do NOT provide housing, and they have a 2 part interview process that involves one spending his own money for the first stage. Why join a LCC when there are mainline carriers hiring? Just my opinion.

Iver
10th Jan 2012, 13:42
I am sure some pilots really enjoy FD. If you want to spend most nights home like at a Euro LCC, FD would fit the bill. If you have no interest in flying anything but the 737NG for the rest of your time at FD, then that airline would suit you. If you want to fly to some somewhat dangerous (but exciting!!!!) destinations in war zones, then FD would be for you. If you MUST live in Dubai, FD would work.

But, if you qualify for EK, QR or EY (and all are hiring), then FD would be the last choice I would consider.

Lowrey
10th Jan 2012, 19:39
Good, thanks for the input. I'll forget FD when there are no benefits, I have no particular interest in 737, I would actually prefer long haul.

If someone could answer the last two questions, I would be very happy. :)

Jetaim
11th Jan 2012, 07:17
My suggestion is... if you have a secure job in Europe or anywhere in the civilized West stick to it.
I did your same mistake and I'm still paying the consequences.
In the ME there is no job security. You might find yourself in trouble for a number of silly reasons. Ask your self why EK is finding it so hard to crew their planes. They are more desperate and continoulsy lowering their minima. Furthermore it is most of the times a one way ticket and after a few years ( months? ) Dubai starts really to feel tight and you tired of bouncing from mall to mall for 9 months a year.. You will spend enourmous amount of money cause that is how everything is set up .. to make you spend. Dubai's money stays in Dubai.

noiva
11th Jan 2012, 12:05
2) Hard to say, each of them claims from time-to-time that they have the best deal :rolleyes: money wise (cash in your hand) QR probably pays the best, however EK probably has the best total package

3) Mostly from big chains (e.g Marriott) and you will have to get used to some airport hotels

busav8r
11th Jan 2012, 12:21
Jetaim, you said it all. Thanks for your advice.

Lowrey
11th Jan 2012, 13:49
Thanks for the responses again. Much appreciated. I was leaning towards Emirates before posting and after your replies still do.

In the ME there is no job security. You might find yourself in trouble for a number of silly reasons.
What exactly do you mean by that?

You will spend enourmous amount of money cause that is how everything is set up .. to make you spend. Dubai's money stays in Dubai.
My situation is that I don't know where the future of my present company is headed, so layoffs may be a possibility down the road. If I go to the Middle east , I would set my mind that it's temporary (2-4 years) with the option of extending my stay if I feel comfortable. With that mindset I think it should be bearable for a couple of years even if I don't like it there.

My biggest motivation to go there is the money, since I will be able to find other jobs in Europe (already have interviews). However, since I am already away from home for my present job and the other jobs I will be interviewing for, I thought why not go a bit further away to get more money.

Can you elaborate "Dubai's money stays in Dubai"?

Do you mean that you spend a lot of cash because you get bored?

I just want to live a simple life, go to the grocery store and stay in my apartment, by the pool, sitting at my computer or what ever and maybe occasionally going for something to eat or a beer with who ever I make acquaintance with. Will that eat up my AED 28.000? I'm single, no children. If so my motivation to go there disappeared instantly. Actually I was hoping I could send home at least AED 15.000 to my bank in Europe each month - is that unrealistic?

You may PM me if you are more comfortable. Same goes for everyone else of course.

And everyone thanks again for taking your time.

GShocker
11th Jan 2012, 22:00
... or you all can answer in public as well, because there are lots of other people who would like to hear details about everything.

I've applied to EK and been through the interviews and sim and now waiting for a call to go to final assessments in Dubai.

I'm also planning to move by myself but I have family I will leave behind. I have two children but they are so small, (older just began school) so I cannot take them with me and with their mother we have had our roads crossing for a number of years now and even though we are not married I still am going to leave her, whether I go to Dubai or not. Nevertheless, I'm planning to send part of my salary back home for my kids.

So do you guys think it's impossible to keep (a bigger) part of the salary for yourself and send a small amount back home and still live a decent life in UAE? Compared on my current position I'd almost triple my monthly salary in EK and by moving there I wouldn't have to pay astronomical rents of the houses that we have in my country.

I'd say at least financially the EK deal would be quite nice. What comes to my kids, well, internet and phones are invented, planes do fly between Europe and UAE quite often and even though EK duty hours are quite high at the time, I can't imagine that there wouldn't be a few days off in a row every now and then to be able to fly to home country to pay a visit to my kids. And of course they are able to come to me in Dubai when they have vacation from school.

Are my thoughts just pure utopia or do they make any sense at all. Active EK pilots, please comment.

sandyballs
12th Jan 2012, 03:30
You have to come and see the place and make a decision on the numbers they give you, it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's certainly not as bleak as some of the Masters of doom would have you believe!

Commuting with any of the companies will be tough if not impossible, if that's your plan forget it. It is expensive to live here but you can choose to live like a hermit and save if you wish. I would say if you choose the latter option your stay will be short!

Youre not going to make your fortune here so if that's the ultimate aim I would say stay where you are, You are the only one who knows if it's right for you so come and look and then decide, it will be an expensive mistake if you come and hate it!

Good luck

silhouette
12th Jan 2012, 05:26
2) EY FO Salary now start at AED25.990 (AED550 annually increment), housing AED13.333 and Flight & Layover paid around AED5.000 for 75h a month.

Taking vacation in Abu Dhabi or Dubai before interviewing is good idea, but you can also experience it during an assessment also.. EY will provide you a ticket from one of their Destinations to Abu Dhabi (confirmed but non-upgradable ;)), you can negotiate for travel date how many days before your assessment and take that as your free vacation before interview. Stay at Park-Inn Yas Island is nice with Ocean and Yas Link view and right now the weather is superb.

for Airbus, Command Upgrade will be based on Seniority only which is 3.5 years to be in the queue, that will make you qualified for their internal upgrade requirements.
5500 hours grand total AND
3000 hours on multi crew
and 700 hours in ETIHAD OR
1500 hours on type

Cowtown
12th Jan 2012, 07:26
As a single guy at EK you can easily send home 15 000 AED. Especially if you live the lifestyle that you have indicated. If you then opt out of company housing you can save more.

My case, F/O with kids, some months nothing saved, others 6000AED. Throw in visitors then not a hope of saving that month. We didn't come here to exist but to enjoy life, and that we do. All depends on your lifestyle, and that of your wife!

Been here 3 years now and family still enjoying Dubai etc. Being on the Bus, fatigue is an issue and when the command eventually comes around I expect the fatigue issue to get worse. :uhoh:

Feel free to ask any more questions. I can only tell it as I see it.

Later...

abudhabitaxidriver
15th Jan 2012, 08:50
Stay away from EY. EK is a much better choice.
G'd Luck

bigcheeks
15th Jan 2012, 12:01
F/O on the 320 at EY making 43,000 per month (inclusive of housing / flight / layover). Im single and renting a fully serviced luxury studio on a monthly basis, eating out most nights, entertaining, shopping & enjoying. I send home minimum 25,000AED every month.

trigger21
15th Jan 2012, 13:41
Bigcheeks!! You must be a right tight git to be saving 25,000 AED per month! :} I struggle to save 10k! :{

I think EK as an overall package is probably the best out of all of them. Yes at EY we spend our lives doing the same routes which does get boring but salary is still good compared to back home and with the expansion of the 777 flet, new routes and upgrades may come pretty quick....In terms of bonuses, it's a bit of a sore subject at the moment. Again, EK get quite large bonuses, but have been in profit for years. You have to remember that EY is still a very young airline and they are yet o make profit. Hence no bonuses as such have been issued...fingers crossed for the 2011 results nd our pockets! :E

camel_hump
15th Jan 2012, 13:54
Middle East is what you make of it. 777 f/o at EK and single and loving it. Opted out of company accom since day 1 and renting a huge 2 bedroom apartment for half of the allowances that EK gives, so am pocketing an extra 80k per year :cool:
Driving a Porsche Cayenne and every now and then taking some of my female work colleagues out or home :E

Got a maid who comes in every week for the usual housewife chores at dhs50 per hour, she stays for 2 hrs...am good with that.
Monthly income approx 38k...still ok wit me.
Normally eat out but once in a while my neighbours philipino maid like to visit.....:p...shhhh (thats actually illegal eh)

There are moaners in EK but am not one...so far. I get my roster and accept whatever flight they give, go to work and fly as per their OM bible and take the little silver volvo back home and am happy.

I know for a fact there are worse jobs out there so i wake up everyday and thank 'allah' for whatever i have.

bigcheeks
15th Jan 2012, 16:05
Bigcheeks!! You must be a right tight git to be saving 25,000 AED per month!

Did you read my post? fully serviced luxury studio on a monthly basis, eating out most nights, entertaining, shopping & enjoying. I also drive a luxury car and I am always paying for the date's dinner, movie etc...

I think where most guys go wrong is with the housing. I sit and laugh when guys complain about no money yet are ok with wasting the full 160,000 on accomodation. How many times I have heard 'I'm happy to pay 160,000 a year because its within the allowance'...If u think like that then you are a fool. I consider the 160,000 as part of my annual income because EY allow you to spend it as you wish. If you choose to spend it all on a house then your choice and your loss. 160,000 a year is US$840 per week. In no circumstances will I spend that much money on renting.

This place is suited for single guys or married couples who are both working. If I had to raise a family here on a single income then I'd return home because there wouldnt be much leftover at the end - probably a little more than compared with back home, but not enough to make it worthwhile. In my case it is extremely worthwhile so I will stay as long as I enjoy it.

No chance of getting away on your two days off at EY. Seems to be only one destination on the 777, Manila. A320, night Karachi I enjoy my 2-4 block of days off in Abu Dhabi and go home 3 times a year for 2 weeks at a time on annual leave. Ive been on the 320 about 12 months and have yet to see Karachi!

I always get at least one of my primary or secondary requests each month. I have also never done two India red-eyes back-to-back. I have absolutely no complaints about the roster. I've yet to feel fatigued and when I do I will simply report fatigued and will not fly.

WhistleBlower
15th Jan 2012, 21:04
As a many year veteran of EY I'd seriously look at EK... If I had my choice again...
There you get paid for deadheading (and its sometimes in first class), you get transport to and from home so all you need is one car, saving that loan.. etc etc, etc...
Plus their bonus actually happens......

Big cheeks... you must be one of the chosen few.... lucky you... enjoy it while it lasts....

bigcheeks
16th Jan 2012, 10:24
Yes its true EK will pick you up and drive you to work and EY will not.

Monthly income approx 38k...still ok wit me.

I'd rather drive myself and earn 43K per month as opposed to being chauffered by the company for 5K less. If you really wanted to, you could even use that 5K to hire a limo to drive you - beats a silver Volvo.

No deadhead pay at EY - I've deadheaded once in 12 months.

The little perks you get at EK are insignificant. What is signfiicant is the profit-share and the pension.

trigger21
16th Jan 2012, 11:52
Going back to the original guy's question...
EK is probably the best option in terms of routes/salary/bonus - all in package. But if that doesn't float your boat certainly look at EY...yes it has faults like everywhere, but it's a good salary - better than anything back home. They pay for your accom and still give you 26k per month basic salary on top of that! It's expanding and opportunities WILL pop up. The LOL is a bit rubbish but many people have their own anyway.

Yes you can also save your accom allowance if you wish, as bigcheeks does. But for me I spend most of it on a lush place that overlooks the sea. Would struggle to get that back home so if the company are willing to pay for it, I'll make the most of it while i have the opportunity. That's my thinking anyway.

Don't really know to much about Qatar sorry...maybe someone else can help.

camel_hump
16th Jan 2012, 12:45
hey bigcheeks, i did not include the flight pay in that, so lets add another 4k a month on that, so that makes it 42k for an f/o per month at EK and living out, the other 1k is taken care by all the funs of living in dubai. Oh and the profit sharing tops all of that up...i'll be damn if we gna argue about 1000 dhs

bigcheeks
16th Jan 2012, 13:29
Hey camel_hump, I thought 38K sounded a little on the low side. Yes I agree EKs profit-share and pension may make the overall package better. Fingers crossed for our much rumored 4 weeks....:eek:

Still, a single F/O in AUH or DXB can live a very decent lifestyle and still send home 25,000AED per month.

NG708
16th Jan 2012, 19:50
So what do you guys think it would be like for a married guy with a child in EY or EK? enough time off each month to spend with the family?

Its seems from reading your posts that it's better to opt out of the company housing and sort your own out?

I know Dubai and Bahrain quite well but not been to the other cities much. what's in the way of recreation/ social life apart from golf?

Like the rest of the posters, the advice is appreciated.

trigger21
17th Jan 2012, 07:51
The lifestyle is pretty good. I am married with no children and there is plenty to do. You find that the majority (not all) new joiners tend to take the allowance from the company and live at Al Reef or Al Bandar. Reef is a family environment and my mates who have wives and kids seem to enjoy it and the wives make friends which keeps them happy. Al bandar is apartments but can be expensive. For example in reef you could get a 3 bed town house with garden for 130k...the company give you 160k. 4 bed is about 150k. Whilst reef is a bit in the middle of nowhere (not far from airport) it is only 50 mins drive to Dubai where you have millions of activities, and it's around 40 mins from Abu dhabi city.

Lifestyle wise Abu dhabi is smaller than Dubai but is getting bigger every day. You find you get discount in most places for food/drink etc. Yas island is pretty cool, they open the formula one track for you to run/cycle...

There's loads of stuff to find if you go out looking for it...have a look at the Time Out Abu Dhabi website, that should help ya

Oh and in terms of time off it depends on the fleet your on...at the mo 777 lots of time off but will change later in year. A320 usually 8-11 days off per month

alkor
17th Jan 2012, 08:08
Hi,

How much can you save if you have 2 kids. And live nice. Not just stay at home and save money for all costs.

Thanks,

Cheers,

A

PAMPA2000
17th Jan 2012, 11:21
Anyone knows approximately upgrade time?. I am considering leaving my miserable life (refering to schedules and how management treats expats), poor pay, 7k euro x mo,(compare with other A320 Capt places), time off (6 week on 2 week off), expat life as an A320 Capt, for EK opportunity to fly one day wide body long haul, (hopefully left seat), better life style, stability (growth)

I am Divorced (child support:{), remarried, and one on the way, (never learn:ugh:).

Anyhow, my questions are
1, FO salary @ 42k AED x mo, (according to Camel Hump), New hire is the same?, (Not opting out of housing correct?)
2, Upgrade wait time?, (have 3000 PIC 320 type, 1500 SIC 320 Type plus B737, Dojet328, J41... @ 11500 TTL).
3, New hire go to A330 only?, can you opt to 777?

Thanks guys

PS: No,:= I don't want to go to China, for those of you wondering...., it's not all about money...

irishpilot1990
17th Jan 2012, 14:00
thanks for all who are contributing on this thread, it has been very useful and a good read!:ok:

I notice Etihad and Emirates seem to be grouped against Qatar? Would that be correct?

Qatar as a generalisation seems to have a package on par or better then Emirates. Is Doha the big difference/problem? Why the big push for Emirates?

monkeyferret777
17th Jan 2012, 15:09
• First Officer: Monthly Salary Dhs 29,145 (Basic Salary plus Hourly Flying Pay based on 85 block hours per month).

This is from the emirates website- is this amount the same as guys that started at the beginning of the current recruitment drive?? Or has it gone up or down?? Seems less than I remember when I first looked to be honest. Maybe I'm wrong.

trigger21
18th Jan 2012, 17:14
Irishpilot....All are different, don't mean to make it sound like Qatar is an outcast. Most people know that overall Emirates is the best all round package.,..I am simply talking from an Etihad Pilot point of view. I know a couple of guys at Qatar, some say they enjoy it although some hate it. In saying that there have been quite a few guys jump ship from Qatar who initially tried for emirates. They didn't get in there so came to Etihad so it appears that people do want to get away. But as I say, I don't know too much about that really.

Doha is a bit of a hole, at least Dubai is a playground and Abu Dhabi is quite westernised too. Qatar recently had a massive payrise to keep existing / attract new guys (50% on sector pay and 20% on basic I think)...hopefully the others will follow. I think most will tell you to go for Emirates as it's stable, it's in profit and its been around for a while...and being around for a while means they have good roster systems, good insurance schemes and accommodation options etc...Etihad hasn't been around as long so is a bit more of a mess, but like I said previously, no one can expect perfection from an airline which is expanding so fast that it cannot get the pilots and systems in place quick enough. Etihad is a good place to be in terms of upgrade and career progression. hope this helps :ok:

camel_hump
19th Jan 2012, 05:11
@Pampa...you must opt out of the company accom to get this amount per month, u can either take the 160k (accom allowance) bi-yearly or monthly, so dhs25k+13k(accom allowance per month)+4k approx for flying pay, give or take u end up wit about 42k. Dunno exactly my basic salary as i dnt really bother to check the payslip but will do if u want the info. As long as i see approx 40-42k go in my bank account every month then am happy :)

camel_hump
19th Jan 2012, 05:15
And this is for a current new joiner f/o with no step increment yet, i blow half of my company accom at hotel york or metropolitan hotel on exotic long legged species :)

donpizmeov
19th Jan 2012, 05:29
I remember in the good old days when EK could hire pilots with personality. Now it seem the only way a new joiner can get female attention is by spending there accommodation allowance.

I take it you are on the Boeing Camel hump?

the Don

Jetaim
19th Jan 2012, 06:06
Quite scary to see that the incredible screening apparatus of EK is letting in idiotic immature prick as this one. This is the guy that should be one day responsible for the life of hundreds of people? What kind of idiots are you recruiting now ? Are you really so desperate?
I hope your enthusiasm lasts more than 24 months... I think you are being a little too optimistic...habibi. One day you will regret not having taken the company accomodation and rest assured that what you are pocketing now will get out of the same pocket at a later stage. Oh yeah..but you say you'll stay untill you enjoy it...
Something you missed my friend is that EK is largely a one way ticket...
Keep discovering ...pretty appropriate in this case.

kingpost
19th Jan 2012, 06:09
For new joiners into the airline world, the best choice is Qatar - they acknowledge business jet time whereas EK want airline operations!

Aussie
19th Jan 2012, 06:40
They acknowledge biz jet time... so on that sole criteria, that makes Qatar the best yeh? :ok: :eek:

PAMPA2000
19th Jan 2012, 08:45
I appreciatte the info C_Hump.
Just one more question,
Do you know upgrade wait time?
Interviewers told my body at beginning of interview, 2 years wait, :D,then at the end on 3rd day, they told him, no, actually 7 years wait?:sad:.
Who has the crystal ball?, even interviewers give conflicting info

bigcheeks
19th Jan 2012, 12:39
Why do EK have that rule regarding the housing allowance (i.e. once you take you can't go back to company accom.)? No such rule at EY :ok:

camel_hump
19th Jan 2012, 14:55
Relax habibi, do have a sense of humor for a lil while else you wont survive here. Guess everyone got a choice to decide their own lifestyle eh. :ok:

donpizmeov
20th Jan 2012, 09:14
Pampa,

Ek has 170 aeroplanes now. They plan 260 (280 can't remember the actual figure) by 2020. So growth of 110 (best case) aeroplanes in the next 9 years. Call it 10 Capts per aeroplane, thats 1100 of the 1700 fos on the present list upgraded by 2020. Of course people will leave in that time and that will help, but I think its pretty clear that planning on an upgrade in 2yrs would be planning for disappointment.
EK does not upgrade, or even fleet transfer on seniority. For example, as the 777 fleet has been growing for the past 6 or so years, FOs on that fleet have gained commands quicker than those on the Bus. In the same way Bus FOs upgraded quicker than Boeing FOs in the years before this. The Boeing has real fleet growth of 60 aeroplanes left, they already have a fleet of 100, so the junior FO there is without a delivery for command, and is needing the gumpy old b@ggas ahead of him to leave and make room for him. The miniBus fleet is at 44 and decreasing ( 5 332s and 8 343s leave by April 2013) but then grows to 70 (not counting options) 350s. The 380 is at 18 but grows to 90 by 2018. EK is notoriously bad at managing fleet replacement/growth. Many tears will be shed in the next few years because of this.
Not much help I guess but consider planning on a longer period for command. If it comes quicker its a bonus.

the Don

PAMPA2000
20th Jan 2012, 16:39
Thanks Don, I was recently in AUH and kind of like the city, better then where I am now, I might try Etihad then instead, they do DEC on the A320.
Honestly I don't really care to be Captain, of course I much rather, but it is not number one issue for me, I can wait, if money and living conditions are good as FO, I don't mind, just don't want to wait 7 or 10 years!, I am not that young...:{
I appreciate everyone's imput, all info, no matter which point of view, helps.
Have safe flying.:ok:

bigmountain
21st Jan 2012, 19:05
Ek has the following.
1. Dubai
2. Lifestyle
3.good bunch of Guys on the flight deck
4. Basic salary is considerably large as part of the salary and allowance package
So you don't take big dent in your income if you go on leave or are sick
5.pick up and drop in Volvo for flights , sim sessions and refresher
6. Medical and license renewals paid for
7.loss of license 3x times basic annual salary death 4x annual basic
8. Provident fund contribution upti 15 % of basic salary . Two paid referrals per year for financial advice.
9.schooling assistance for upto 3 children upo the age 18 yrs 11 months and 30 days ( so as long as you don't turn 19 )
10. Leave ticket is economy class with upgrade to business on availability for FO grade capt booked in business upgrade subject to availability
11 emirates clinic for self -paid for b company . Family to. Clinic through a discounted insurance cover. Hospitalization via insurance world wide with limits and usual exclusions
12. Dental checks and treatments upo aed 2500 per patient per year
13.unlimited ID 90 tickets symbol and ID CONFIRMED for staff and family . Also limited travel facilities or parents and I laws and brother and sisters.
14.salary increment plus a salary review Usually 3% increment ..review doesn't necessarily mean a salary rise. They look at the market demand and supply and then make a decision
15. 6 weeks vacation . Usually max of 21 allowed during summer and Xmas
16.meal allowance on layovers. Nothing to write home about . Varies on local hotel coffee shop rates with discounts so allowance can be as Low as $35 in Dhaka to £ 60 in lhr €100 Europe
17company housing with a paid for water and power if in an apartment . In a villa the utilities have a cap . So you need to watch the unnecessary wastage of the kids leaving the lights on etc.
18.Profut share Min two weeks if target is met . And anything above the target is shared . Last year 12 weeks. This year doesn't seem to likely we can exceed last years profit
19. Rotating rostering system. Allows for juniors in the seniority system a better chance to bid for something they would prefer .days off, layover, flights they don't like , turnarounds etc
20.on the b777 the life style is better with an option of ULR LR and short haul. Allowing for more days off. A330 is a bit more tiring with limited layovers and more turn arounds
21. Communication is average .generally through wash up meetings at the end of a refresher day middle management from Flt ops and HR have a session. Newsletters and Flt ops update via the portal. Hard copy ek news twice weekly newspaper , now also on line.
22. Conversion training fairly comprehensive. Includes CRM , human factors training , modern training facilities ,second to none . Includes fully motion b777 and a380 cabin crew trainer with ditching , smoke and sound.
23. Feedback about training is encouraged after completion of course.
24. Line Trg is a minimum of 50 hrs 12 sectors with option for more if required.
25,recurrent ever 6 months includes an review of systems at home , hotel wherever , one day of chalk and talk, and two days if simulation. Also plans for 2 manual handling session per year apart from the recurrent.
26 FO upgrades running at approx 4 years Generally moving from right to left seat on sane aircraft.
27. Free uniform, shoes, cap, suitcase
28. Hotels are generally of a good to high standard. On so occasions you might find an odd ball contradiction.
29. Cabin crew are young and very refreshingly friendly and hospitable.
30. Separate Crew meals provided onboard. Usually business class and first class choice is offered when available.
31. Tel allowance is provide to cover incidentals
32. Senior and middle management expat and chief pilots Locals.
33.most of documentation is online and or soft copy available.
34. Aircrafts are new and destinations are many.
35. Flight dispatch via LIDO and EK dispatchers . Flight planning fairly accurate.
36. ASR REPORTS fed back to all the crew.
37. Exchange rate protection. A scheme to protect you against currency fluctuations against your home currency. Basically if you home currency is stronger than portion of your basic salary is increased to meet the shortfall in
However if your home currency falls you still receive he minimum basis salary
38. basic Salary is the same during training . and then when you start your flight training you get the flying allowance
39. Interest free car loan , that allows you to buy a subcompact , Japanese, US , Korean, vehicle.
40. Discounted tickets twice a year for your maid

There are also negatives . It's all a case of half full or half empty. I shall allow other members on the forum to highlight the negatives in an objective manner
bm

GShocker
22nd Jan 2012, 15:33
Wow, that really was a thorough list of the good things in EK. Similar truthful list of the bad things would also be nice to read as I'm soon in the situation to decide whether to take a new job at EK or stay on my current one between the snowbanks...

Lucky1980
13th Feb 2012, 05:02
Thanks , for all the details on EK, just wanted to to know are you allowed to commute to your home country during your time offs.

Dixons Cider
13th Feb 2012, 05:25
Quote from EY CEO, from this (http://www.arabianbusiness.com/james-hogan-hails-historic-day-for-etihad-airways-444457.html) report

While we deliver an exceptional full service product, our management culture is that of a low cost airline.

Wizofoz
13th Feb 2012, 05:55
Thanks , for all the details on EK, just wanted to to know are you allowed to commute to your home country during your time offs.

Allowed to? Yes.

Is it practical? Not very.

How often and for how long is the minimum you want to be in your home country, and how far is that from Dubai?

GS2012
20th Feb 2012, 22:33
This would seem to be the best package going around for new joiner FOs, looking for a good package in the Middle East....:E

Alcoa workers offered Middle East jobs | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/business/saudi-offer-for-alcoa-workers/story-e6frfm1i-1226276446389)

Just seems like this aviation game is in a spiral! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Luckyheader
22nd Feb 2012, 13:10
Does anyone know if the restriction on whether you live in Abu Dhabi or Dubai still applies to the housing allowance with EY?

jackx123
22nd Feb 2012, 17:05
ARAMCO beats all of the above by miles.

$+++++

and a dedicated chauffeur taking you to/from work.

FAA is a must.

jackx123
23rd Feb 2012, 10:00
It's a pure comedy show here and when you arrive you have to sit an exam. It's called the clown test.

Unfortunately there are no pills to cure moronititis, so the show will continue for the next 10,000 years.

Axum
25th Feb 2012, 11:44
I am an experianced 737 FO and I already applied for all airlines above. EK called me immediately but unfortunately I failed on 3rd day. The rest 3 airlines were not interested to invite me for an assessment. :suspect:

neilb767
25th Feb 2012, 16:48
EK

EY

FD

GF

Drive a Truck

QR

:p