PDA

View Full Version : Bell Academy Courses for the 206, worth it?

6th Gear
9th Jan 2012, 16:37
I'm on the point of booking the 5 day course on Ground & Flight for the 206 at Bell's academy.
It's expensive ($11,500) and I'd be grateful if any of you chaps that are familiar with it could let me have your views/experience on the course?
Alternatively would it be better to just get loads more hours in and employ an experienced 206 Instructor here in the UK?
Thanks

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jan 2012, 18:41
I haven't done it myself, I did want to do it back in 2001 but it was too expensive for me back then. But I have only heard good things about...

Phoinix
9th Jan 2012, 18:48
I was there twice. Our company took a two hour jetranger emergency training per pilot and it was great. I would suggest you to take max an hour per session as you get overfilled with information and practical knowledge. Also have an idea of what you want to train, in which areas you feel less safe and practice those.
Its amazing how easy a good instructor can demonstrate and teach an emergency landing no matter what the situation is.

Jet Ranger
9th Jan 2012, 18:50
Great. Been there twice times, last time 2011. You can send me a PM. Few very old guys there...man can hear & learn a lot....

But, your solution no. 2 is also OK. Except good instructor, you have to be sure that you will be allowed to do all those things with 206 (lot of full touch down autos on concur rwy, with lot of run-on landings etc etc. )

JR

SASless
9th Jan 2012, 19:23
Excellent benefit for the money!

If you want to understand the 206....there is no better school.

The bonus is what you will learn that can be applied to any helicopter you fly.

Shawn Coyle
10th Jan 2012, 20:13
I worked there nearly 20 years ago (time flies) and have nothing but good words for the training. You'll learn the systems, and also get great instruction on how to do autorotations and other emergency procedures.
I've talked to some of the senior staff there over the last few years, and they appear to have continued the great training.

Jet Ranger
10th Jan 2012, 20:38
We took 5h of flying hours, and it was great. Lot of full touchdown autos with run-on landings on concrete rwy (skids = :{) ,,, from all position alt and speeds that man can imagine...:D