PDA

View Full Version : Seven hurt as QANTAS Flight hit by turbulence

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
8th Jan 2012, 09:54
From the online Herald Sun tonight.

SEVEN people have been injured aboard an international Qantas flight to Sydney after the aircraft was hit by severe turbulence.
QF32 had departed London on Friday night and was three hours out of Singapore yesterday morning when it was hit by turbulence caused by bad storms in the Indian airspace, a Qantas spokeswoman said.
''(The aircraft) diverted around most of it but it was the initial part of the storm that had the impact,'' the spokeswoman said.
"The seat belt sign had come on but some passengers were still moving back to their seats.''
Seven people suffered minor cuts and bruises during the incident.
Four were treated in hospital while three were treated at a medical centre in Singapore but all have since been discharged.
The aircraft was cleared to fly after being assessed by engineers and has departed Singapore.
Qantas spokeswoman Sophia Connelly said six of the seven would be arriving back in Sydney at 9pm tonight, while one male passenger opted to fly to Perth.
She said one person hit an overhead locker when the A380 was rattled by the turbulence, and part of the plane’s interior was also damaged.
“One of the cabin overhead storage compartments needs to be fixed but nothing serious,” she said.
The turbulence happened over three close five-minute intervals.

Engines explode, wings crack and now radar fails to paint weather... bugger!

Wedcue
8th Jan 2012, 13:27
Get a life. Could have happened to any airline.

School holidays must be going slow for some hey Rad Alt?

Slasher
8th Jan 2012, 14:14
and now radar fails to paint weather... bugger!

Oi! Who said the radar failed to paint wx? And you obviously
have no experience in crossing the Bay of Bengal bucko.

jw63
8th Jan 2012, 16:50
Geez you're coping a beating there M.

ejectx3
8th Jan 2012, 20:35
More importantly who is the new spokeswoman that has replaced our beloved Livvy?

Gentlemen, I prevent to you....

Sophia!

satmstr
8th Jan 2012, 21:25
Whats the Bet that the ones that are injured decided not to fasten there seat belts...i cant understand why everytime i fly there is people that never wear there seat belts in cruise, even if its just loose a little.

mcgrath50
8th Jan 2012, 22:34
The news report I heard was that the seatbelt sign was on and those injured were moving around the cabin :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
8th Jan 2012, 23:27
Wedcue - down tiger! I could have made some scurrilous accusation about the crew, or any number of other issues relating to the more human aspects of the incident. But I didn't. Instead I chose to put it in a more light-hearted light in the context of the A380 not having a good media run in the last couple years as far as mechanical reliability is concerned.

I sincerely hope you fire blanks, coz firing from both barrels without warning like that could hurt a man...:ooh:

Slasher - I've never flown across the 'Bay of Bengal Bucko' (wherever that is), but I've enjoyed many a 50 + nm wx deviation over that body of water that separates India from Thailand. It's nearly as exciting as that stretch of water that separates HongKong from Darwin. Perlease...:yuk:

JW - unfair advantage! :)

skipper1981
8th Jan 2012, 23:28
I wonder if the pax were met by a team of compensation lawy
ers?

SLFAussie
9th Jan 2012, 01:32
Some of the dunnies in the aircraft were unserviceable, so there were longer than normal queues for the loos which was given as one reason why people were still moving about the cabin.

If the seatbelt sign goes on while queueing I'm straight back to my seat, but I've been sitting in the little room during, er, relief when the seatbelt sign has come on. In my case the turbulence was negligable, but - semi-serious question - what guidance exists for the situation where you're part-way through the job and the turbulence is significant?

Capt Claret
9th Jan 2012, 03:51
but - semi-serious question - what guidance exists for the situation where you're part-way through the job and the turbulence is significant?

Grab the hand hold and hang on tight. If it's that bumpy you probably won't be able to pull your britches up anyhow. :ooh:

TOGA744
9th Jan 2012, 03:55
I would also give serious consideration to a precautionary flush....:}

nitpicker330
9th Jan 2012, 06:19
Whilst not wanting to point any fingers QF does seem to have its fair share of Turb encounters with Pax injuries. Not that we at CX haven't had any, it's just QF do seem to have a few more than they should.

Just bad luck, or something else?

Oops, I think I may have pointed my finger!!

Anyway, but for the grace of God etc.......

mcgrath50
9th Jan 2012, 06:30
I'd say the media is quicker to report them for QF than other airlines...

nitpicker330
9th Jan 2012, 06:50
Maybe true but in HK CX only has to pass wind the wrong way and it's in the Apple Daily or SCMP!!

2Plus
9th Jan 2012, 08:12
True, the accuracy of media/press reporting in Australia is ridiculously poor, but I reckon nitpicker is on to something. Whilst I'm not for a second blaming those on duty on this fateful night, in fact far from it, having flown with many different airlines, I'll tell you that many Q guys/girls seem to have a reluctance to turn "the signs" on until it get's really rough down the back. A tendency to be reactive, if you will. If it's unanticipated then obviously not much you can do. But why was it unanticipated? Clear air? Because nothing painted? Or because the folks up the front didn't read the sigmet? Or because they "don't think there's much in that?" Again, not suggesting any of the above reasons might've been the case with this recent incident, but I'd be surprised if some incidences of the past (and future?) could've been avoided with just a little more of a conservative attitude.

And before you all jump up and down exclaiming I'm talking rubbish. I'm not, I've flown with 'em. I've seen it.

Doesn't cost anything to be on the safe side and strap 'em in. Food for thought.

ohallen
9th Jan 2012, 08:26
This area is notorious for weather events.

For those walking around, perhaps they could have responded to a warning who knows.

For those seated, where does personal responsibility come into play? The words loosely fastened at take off should be enough warning to keep the ambulance chasing lawyers at bay.

gobbledock
9th Jan 2012, 09:18
Was the Irishman onboard? Please tell me his head was smashed through an overhead locker? Hope his teeth are ok?
Were his poodles stored underneath in the heated hold? Are they ok?

I would also give serious consideration to a precautionary flush....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif
Now now, the litttle fella wouldnt like that.

jw63
9th Jan 2012, 14:58
Rad alt my friend, shouldn't you be saying "please turn, pplleeaassee":ok:

teresa green
9th Jan 2012, 22:18
PAX have been flying around the cabin ever since Pontious was a Pilot and will continue to do so. But how long before the Lawyers can hear Kching, Kching, surely some have woken up to this lucrative new cash cow?

bbear75
10th Jan 2012, 00:03
AJ wasn't on board, but G Peter Cosgrove was, and he was on his phone to AJ quick smart while waiting in the First lounge. Talking damage control. I have big ears for a bear :O

FoxtrotAlpha18
10th Jan 2012, 00:45
A/C was approaching a high Sirrus bank and Capt elected to turn seatbelt sign on as a precation...not all made it back to their seats in time. Two big bumps and it was all over.

I hear one of the injured pax is milking it for all it's worth, while the rest are all good to go... :suspect:

jw63
13th Jan 2012, 12:54
Guessed yet?

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
14th Jan 2012, 03:16
Yep. Enjoying the change in scenery?

Sirrus bank? I guess that must be where Specialized store a range of their bikes - must have been quite a jolt to hit that!:E

Old Akro
14th Jan 2012, 12:59
In order for pax to hit their heads and cause interior damage or injury, the aircraft must experience negative acceleration probably toward -1g. My question is does the aircraft do this on its own, or is perhaps the autopilot too aggressive in recovering from an attitude or altitude upset? Does this explain why this sort of injury event seems to be more prevalent with Airbus?

HF3000
14th Jan 2012, 14:02
Your assumption about the aircraft experiencing -1G is erroneous. The aircraft pitches about it's centre of gravity, which is generally located near the wing. The forward and aft areas of the aircraft can experience apparent negative G's during turbulence due to aircraft pitching with or without autopilot.

Old Akro
15th Jan 2012, 00:55
HF300. Got it. Never thought of that. Therefore the longer the aircraft and very front / very rear seats are more susceptible.

gobbledock
16th Jan 2012, 13:13
Peter C was uninjured. His fat ass was lodged firmly in his seat, no risk of injury. It was a good thing he has 'packed it on' after a few good solid years buried head first in the QF trough! As for the alleged phone call post flight this is true, but it was the Leprechaun who phoned Peter C checking that his poodles were ok. Also PC was on the phone ordering pizzas, burgers, milkshakes, coke.....