PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tankering

Flying_hog
8th Jan 2012, 09:18
Hi guys! :cool:

Does anyone have experience with fuel tankering on Cessna CJ family aircraft? :confused:
There are no charts provided in the AOM regarding this... Or does it not make sense to tanker with AC like this?

CLAN
9th Jan 2012, 07:07
We do tankering with several cjs, cj xls etc. using the ecotankering tool.

Depending on price differences, payload, distances etc we are doing 3-5% of cost reduction. Would say it's approx. 4% on average.

So yes, this makes sense.

clan

Miles Magister
10th Jan 2012, 05:42
Hog,

Every aircraft is different. The best way to work it out for your aircraft is to pick a trip which you have flown:
a. Note the fuel burn and time taken.
b. Work out what the Flight manual suggests you should have burnt.
c. Work out the difference as a percentage.
d. Work out the extra fuel burn from the FM if you had flown at max take off weight, i.e. full of fuel.
e. Apply the difference from c.
f. If the cost of the extra fuel burnt, at the departure airfiled prices, is less than the price difference at the destination then it is worth tankering.

I hope that is clear and helpful.

MM

hawker750
10th Jan 2012, 10:25
Tankering
Very simple way to get it about 90% correct. Most aircraft burn about 3-5% of it's excess weight per hour. Lets call it 4%. So if the fuel is cheaper at departure airport it has to be at least 4% cheaper for a 1 hour flight for it to be economic. Likewise 8% for a 2 hour flight 12% for a 3 hour flight etc etc. This is a simplification but good enough for govenment work as the saying goes. You can understand now why pilots are discouraged from carrying extra fuel on long flights; on a 12 hour flight half will be burnt just carrying it. I operate Hawkers. If our crew always carried 1,000 lbs of excess fuel we would burn 40lbs /hr more. If we flew 500 hours per year that is 20,000 lbs, 11,330 ltrs @ 65p = £7,365. I know of some Hawker operators that have a policy of full wings always!

mutt
10th Jan 2012, 13:18
You could use our formula, tanker outbound to maximum landing weight..... guaranteed to work every time :):):)

Mutt

His dudeness
10th Jan 2012, 13:51
Now now, Mutt...

If your home-based at my place it doesn't.

Hint: no black fluid comes out of the ground around here... :)

So, here its tanker INbound to maximum landing weight...

:}

lk978
12th Jan 2012, 23:47
Hahaha tankering in a CJ.... everywhere I seem to go in a CJ I am fuel critical, if I could get more on I would.

FJ44
13th Jan 2012, 08:31
Hahaha tankering in a CJ.... everywhere I seem to go in a CJ I am fuel critical, if I could get more on I would.

Have to agree on that one!
It's not called tankering in a CJ, its the standard load, you just need more fuel on every flight to try and make it.

Trim Stab
14th Jan 2012, 07:25
Hawker 750 is on the right lines.

I have made a small excel sheet to work out fuel uplift for each leg - variables are flight time, fuel price at A & B, EU Ops minimum fuel for the leg, and number of pax. The output is fuel that should be uplifted at A to minimise cost.