PDA

View Full Version : Maldives GA flying

posh747
7th Jan 2012, 21:44
Anyone know of any GA aviaton in Maldives, pref Male that will let you hire out with a UK licence?

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
7th Jan 2012, 22:40
There is no GA - sorry!

posh747
7th Jan 2012, 22:51
Really, how about having ago of a float?

mutt
8th Jan 2012, 07:44
Some recent reports say that they have stopped serving booze and closed spa's... so why on earth are you going there?

Mutt

S-Works
8th Jan 2012, 07:55
There is no GA in the Maldives full stop.

boogie-nicey
8th Jan 2012, 08:14
I heard there was a husband and wife team running a small charter floatplane operation when my brother went there on holiday a few months ago.
Twin otter on floats or something along those lines.

.... if not, why not look into starting something yourself .....?

S-Works
8th Jan 2012, 09:01
There are a few charter operators. But they are not what the question is about. There is no GA in the Maldives for private flying. It's all commercial air taxi and special charter and it's all multi turbine as there is no Avgas.

AN2 Driver
8th Jan 2012, 09:55
Some recent reports say that they have stopped serving booze and closed spa's... so why on earth are you going there?

Apparently that was the idea of some Islamist nutters there, but so far the president or whatever they have has resisted putting it in power, as he darn well knows that this would mean a huge dent in their tourism industry. And they live of... the tourism industry.

Islamists are everywhere, yet I'd think one has to be more wary of Egypt at this stage, where they have won the elections... In the Maldives, while there is some sort of democratic government, the Islamists are kept at bay by just about everyone else who wishes to make a living.

Best regards
AN2 Driver

posh747
8th Jan 2012, 16:58
Well, there wasn't a ban when i booked, i just heard today , gutted, hope its sorted out in next few weeks!

posh747
8th Jan 2012, 17:00
No GA, no avgas then how is there a flying school in the south island Gan i think its called?

S-Works
8th Jan 2012, 17:36
Maybe It's new and they are importing it? Gan is a former RAF base and is a VERY long way from the resort islands... As memory serves its somewhere around 350nm.....

If you are going to the Maldives on holiday you are going to be on one of the main Atolls which are many hundreds of miles from Gan. You would need to be pretty dedicated to transfer from resort to Male, commercial from Male to Gan just to go flying......

I have worked in the Maldives a number of times over the years and have never come across light GA.

posh747
9th Jan 2012, 07:45
Ok yes that does sound alittle bit to keen! Thankyou all for info . Happy 2012!

Pace
9th Jan 2012, 10:46
Bose

I have dived the Maldives what a combination flying the floatplanes and scuba diving the seas around there ;)

Pace

S-Works
9th Jan 2012, 11:33
Its a destination that has always enthralled me. I enjoyed working there.

Hopefully off there in March for a holiday...

RainingLogic
16th Jan 2012, 05:08
I'd be curious if anyone is making hops to Somalia from there.