PDA

View Full Version : MOBI DOCS

OFSO
6th Jan 2012, 14:49
Small piece of info which everyone may know but as I didn't I thought I'd post it. I was *given* a Kindle for Christmas (*given* = a present which somehow I paid for) and after downloading every book I might want to read when travelling I thought how nice it would be if I could also load it with all the official documents I need for meetings.

And yes, you can do this, trawl the net for free software to convery .rtf or .pdf (or anything else) to a .mobi file, you might want to click kindle as well, drag the converted file to 'documents' and hey presto it works.

The other advantage to this is that during boring bits of the meeting you can read your favourite novel !

Apologies to those who already know this, yes, bleedin' obvious isn't it....

MG23
7th Jan 2012, 03:47
Note that recent Kindles can display PDF files, just not very well since it doesn't have enough resolution to display readable text from an A4 page.

OFSO
7th Jan 2012, 09:54
True, but once converted to a .mobi file the resolution of text is excellent.

Avtrician
7th Jan 2012, 23:24
There is a prog called Calibre that will convert any format to any other format. Its a free download as well.

bnt
8th Jan 2012, 08:55
I was going to mention Calibre too - excellent program. Kindle does not support EPUB files, however, which is a shame.

When it comes to PDFs, however: if they contain anything more complex than plain text, maybe a picture or two, then I just find that conversion to any eBook format is a bad idea. PDFs are designed to render complete pages that look the same on both screen and paper, while eBooks are continuous text that should work on any size screen. So I much prefer to see them without conversion.

green granite
8th Jan 2012, 09:34
Also if its a scanned document PDF it's the devils own job to convert it to anything, even using good OCR programs.

I have a Sony reader and use Calibre as the interface program between it and the PC. it has the advantage that I can use it to browse and download books directly and put them straight onto the Sony