PDA

View Full Version : Opening a doc from the web

BOAC
6th Jan 2012, 09:05
A problem has arisen for one of my friends (He runs Vista and IE with MS Works). Works claims not to be able to open a straightforward Word doc from the web due to 'file format' issues. I do not want to take him down the line of installing the MS Plugins etc for Works.

I am directing him to Open Office, but for my information, can someone tell me how one 'sets' the programme for web opening of docs - is it simply done through 'Folder Options/File Types' or is there some other setting (I cannot find?) and is the setting required simply the 'generic' open with for .doc files as I cannot see any reference there to .doc files served from the web. Firefox gives me the choice of opening prog but IE does not.

M.Mouse
6th Jan 2012, 09:20
Just a thought but you know later versions of Word documents are saved as .docx instead of the earlier .doc and is that possibly the issue?

green granite
6th Jan 2012, 09:23
Control panel>default programs and set what programs are to open what file extensions.

BOAC
6th Jan 2012, 10:31
MM - yes, thanks - the files are on my 'village website' and because it is a 'sleepy Sussex hollow' I save all in .doc as default. (Don't want to frighten the horses):rolleyes: I'm sure the problem stems from the 'cheapo' MSWorks.

GG Not 'Vista qualified' but that looks identical to my XP solution? Are you saying that Vista offers a separate setting for .doc downloading from the web in IE?

green granite
6th Jan 2012, 11:33
No just general settings for associations. Unlike FireFox IE does not allow you to set default programs, which is another good reason for not using it.

Mr Optimistic
6th Jan 2012, 11:34
You need a Works plugin as I recall. Free on the web from MS.

Edit: ah I do not want to take him down the line of installing the MS Plugins etc for Works.

Can you 'save as' from web as .doc ?

mixture
6th Jan 2012, 13:28
Have you tried RTF format ?

BOAC
6th Jan 2012, 15:44
Mr O - indeed - that works fine, but I would like to just have him 'view' and for 'M' - Word is about as universal as you can get, like it or not.

mixture
6th Jan 2012, 16:24
Obviously not universal enough if your friend is running Works and you have a penchant for Open Office.... :E

BOAC
6th Jan 2012, 18:37
I tink yous a bit confused, Mr M:) He has Works 'cos its a cheap option for PCWorld. I use Office. He cannot afford Office so I suggest (free) OpenOffice - how does that read?

Copied, GG. I will set him for OO for all .doc files. Switching to FF is NOT an option:)

seacue
6th Jan 2012, 20:51
OpenOffice just opens DOC (and DOCX) files without having to resort to any settings. It's automatic.

NaKalloy
11th Jan 2012, 22:16
get your mate who is using Works to download and install from Microsoft the "Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats"
He will then from within Works to save files in MS Word format (by going file > print > save as - and selecting the correct version of Word)