PDA

View Full Version : Alicante - ALC

djfwells
4th Jan 2012, 21:29
It looks like AENA have struck again - investing in a new terminal building that can handle double the capacity (10 Mil up to 20 Mil), when passenger numbers for 2012 have been projected to plummet.
Alicante El Altet airport expects falling passenger numbers in 2012 (http://www.tumbit.com/news/articles/4536-alicante-el-altet-airport-expects-falling-passenger-numbers-in-2012.html)

Fly380
5th Jan 2012, 09:23
And don't even mention Aena closing down MJV in favour of the white elephant that is Corvera.:ugh:

DjerbaDevil
5th Jan 2012, 19:44
The facts, as have been published in numerous publications, is that Corvera Murcia Airport has been built by a private company, whose debts have been underwritten by the Murcia Regional Government (not a very clever move but probably saved some politician's friend's backside).

The Regional Authority is anxious to avoid having to finally pay the private company's debts, hence has offered AENA the deal to run Corvera at a very special price, subject that Murcia Airport is closed to civilian traffic, as it is essentially a military airport, always has been and will continue to be in the future.

No airline to date is in a hurry to move from San Javier Military Airport and the only airline saying they may consider moving at the end of Summer 2012 is JET2. Corvera Airport, together with Castellon Airport and Ciudad Real Airport make up the trio of the three very large "Pink Elephants" with no flights but plenty of rabbits running about the landing strips......

eu01
5th Jan 2012, 20:48
Corvera Airport, together with Castellon Airport and Ciudad Real Airport make up the trio of the three very large "Pink Elephants" with no flights but plenty of rabbits running about the landing strips......
The trio? I think there are more; let's mention Lerida (Lleira - Alguaire).

2Planks
6th Jan 2012, 17:27
Some of the white elephants are due to the previous governments insistance that all communidad capitals have an airport (even if it is a civilian terminal at a military base).
But in answer to the OP - at least Alicante is a much more pleasant experience now - the previous terminal was pretty grim. Customer service and experience - it might catch on but probably not at LGW and a number of UK regional airports

racedo
6th Jan 2012, 17:36
it might catch on but probably not at LGW and a number of UK regional airports

You clearly have not been to Gatwick for a long time.

wowzz
6th Jan 2012, 21:35
Much as I like living here in Spain, I have to say that customer service is not a Spanish strong-point. Service in every commercial outlet in any UK airport I have been to recently is far superior to the Spanish equivalent.
However, the security process in Spain is much more 'user friendly' - not sure why - I think the Spanish personnel believe that pax are innocent unless proved otherwise, whereas their UK counterparts believe the opposite.