PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Tracy 1974

Fris B. Fairing
4th Jan 2012, 20:37
I am attempting to compile a listing of all the evacuation flights after the cyclone. Qantas ops are well covered but not so the rest. If you were personally involved I would be most grateful for log book details of date, aircraft type, registration, destination and pax carried. The intention is to include GA and military ops as well. Any input much appreciated.

Rgds

nitpicker330
4th Jan 2012, 22:47
Confirmation to come later but to the best of my memory

First Ansett 727-200 flight out was:
VH-RMX 28th Dec DRW ADL MEL 313 Pax.

Fris B. Fairing
4th Jan 2012, 22:57
Thanks NP330

It's very much a work in progress but the list is now on my website:

Darwin Evacuation Aircraft (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Rgds

nitpicker330
4th Jan 2012, 23:09
I'm not sure the entry for QF on the 26th is correct? I Remember it took a couple of days for the Airport to be cleaned and re-opened after Xmas day. Hence the first Ansett Jet out of DRW didn't occur until about the 28th ( i'm checking the date )

Incidentally the First Ansett 727 out of DRW set a record for a 727-200 of 313 pax. ( which I believe may have been beaten by World Airways Danang evac flight March 1975 of 330 on a 727-100 only 3 months later!! )

gobbledock
4th Jan 2012, 23:28
I don’t want to thread drift but thought I would throw in some background info for those who are not familiar with this event. There are a lot of younger generation around today who do not know much about the cyclone, and there are a lot of now nationalised Aussies who likewise don’t know the history of this event. I think this will be an excellent historical thread about an even many of us will not only ever forget, but it was an event that redefines Australia and also saw the complete change in building construction that could have never been foretold.

Fris B Fairing I am sure a number of us will be watching this thread with interest as bits and pieces of information start coming in and jogging our memories.:ok:

Cyclone Tracy was a tropical cyclone that devastated the city of Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day, 1974. It is the most compact cyclone or equivalent-strength hurricane on record in the Australian basin, with gale-force winds extending only 48 kilometers (30 mi) from the center and was the most compact system worldwide until 2008 when TS Marco of the 2008 Atlantic hurricane season broke the record, with gale-force winds extending only 19 kilometers (12 mi) from the center . After forming over the Arafura Sea, the cyclone moved southwards and affected the city with Category 4 winds on the Australian cyclone intensity scale, while there is evidence to suggest that it had reached Category 3 on the Saffir – Simpson hurricane scale when it made landfall
Tracy killed 71 people, caused $837 million in damage (1974 AUD) and destroyed more than 70 percent of Darwin's buildings, including 80 percent of houses. Tracy left more than 41,000 out of the 47,000 inhabitants of the city homeless prior to landfall and required the evacuation of over 30,000 people. Most of Darwin's population was evacuated to Adelaide, Whyalla, Alice Springs and Sydney, and many never returned to the city. After the storm passed, the city was rebuilt using more modern materials and updated building techniques. Bruce Stannard of The Age newspaper stated that Cyclone Tracy was a "disaster of the first magnitude ... without parallel in Australian history.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c1/Cyclone_Tracy.jpg http://ntlapp.nt.gov.au/tracy/basic/images/26_125.jpg

Fris B. Fairing
5th Jan 2012, 00:33
NP330

I'm not sure the entry for QF on the 26th is correct?

I didn't know about this flight until a few days ago and it was this revelation that has prompted me to try to document the operation. I have no doubt that it happened as it comes from a most reliable source and I've seen his log book.

gobbledock

Thanks for the background info.

Rgds

Stationair8
5th Jan 2012, 00:47
Wasn't there a story about the cop giving a kid a hard time about trying to smuggle his puppy on board the evacuation flight, and the QF skipper allowing the kid and puppy on board?

5th Jan 2012, 01:49
Off subject but the youtube of 727 out of Danang is an eye opener.

Jabawocky
5th Jan 2012, 02:49
How do you get 313 people on a B727....every adult carries a child, or a light weight young lady :E on their lap?

mmciau
5th Jan 2012, 03:42
No luggage!! Sit on lap if necessary

When I left Darwin on the morning of 27 December, my battered pregnant wife was listed for a flght out on a RAAF Hercules.

An American Starlifter also lifted out survivors too.

nitpicker330
5th Jan 2012, 03:58
Jabba:- Let me see, 3 pax ( staff ) in the cockpit. 300+ others down the back squashed in as best we could. Didn't have a pax count until over ASP.

Made for an interesting T/O too :ok:

Flight planning done on a Tarmac baggage trolley beside the Aircraft and with 400 people milling around!! No such thing as Security checks!!

teresa green
5th Jan 2012, 04:55
Myself (PIC) and another TAA Skipper landed in DRW at 1100 hrs on the 27th Dec in VH-TFF a F27, with the sole purpose of picking up the Ladies about to give birth from the DRW Hospital. I spoke to the Base Commander, Air Commodore David Hitchins, and got help to clear a path to the aircraft, as the ambulances arrived. We left at 1324 with 40 last stage pregnant ladies (much to our horror) 2CC, 2 Nursing Sisters and one doctor, 2 cats in cages (they belonged to the hospital) and my memories are the total carnage, a DC3 firmly implanted in the Base Commanders house, and the fridge in the water tower (30MTRS up). It was all downhill from there. Two ladies were in labor, so we went straight to Isa, no joy there, they were already packed from those who went by car, so running out of hours and ideas, I called up Mackay, and pleaded (No, threatened) that we needed help, and finally got in there vastly relieved, as the noises up the back were becoming terrifying to say the least. The other pilot and myself staggered to the nearest pub, for fortification, and I of course somehow ended up with the cats, who both lived to a great age and cost a fortune in Vet bills. I never did find the owner. (We refuelled at both Tindall and ISA)

Ken Borough
5th Jan 2012, 05:15
From a very yellowing copy of the January 1975 issue of the Qantas News, I have reproduced verbatim the Qantas rescue effort. Unfortunately, aircrfat regos are not provided. The same can be said for flying by the domestiques. I will rey to post a couple of stories about the airlift later - a scanner would be useful!!

DATE TYPE SECTOR PAX
26-Dec-74 B707 DRW/SYD 266
27-Dec-73 B707 DRW/SYD 271
B707 DRW/SYD 327
28-Dec-74 B747 DRW/SYD 633
B707 DRW/SYD 276
B747 DRW/SYD 673
B707 BNE/SYD 247
B707 SYD/MEL (QF275) 63
B747 SYD/MEL (QF2) 49
29-Dec-74 B747 DRW/SYD 674
B707 DRW/SYD 246
B707 DRW/SYD 226
B747 DRW/SYD 370
30-Dec-74 B707 DRW/SYD 211
1-Jan-75 B707 DRW/SYD 154

(Sorry, but the formatting is stuffed.)

Dark Knight
5th Jan 2012, 05:36
Mt Isa - BNE VH-TBR (B727-200) shuttle after pax had arrived in the Isa 278 pax on board which co-incidently included my brothers wife - they were living in DRW at the time.

Dec 29th VH-TJB (B727-100) BNE-ISA-BNE Shuttle picking up paxbrought to the Isa - number unknown but chockers!

Followed up with two flights Jan 4th & Jan 17th both through Mt ISA both ways (BNE-ISA-DRW-ISA-BNE) (pax numbers unknown) VH-TJB (B727-100) & VH-TBI (B727-200)

I can give you the captains names if required.

smiling monkey
5th Jan 2012, 06:13
nice thread and most interesting .. super like :ok:

Kanga767
5th Jan 2012, 06:35
My family and I left on December 30th 1974 pretty much first thing in the morning. I still remember the pre-dawn bus trip around all the schools etc watching the bus driver trying to pick his way in the total blackness around the streets of Nakara. I have a photo of boarding the TAA 727-200. There was also a QF742 and a MMA F28 on tha tarmac. My memory however as a 7 year old is dim. We went DRW-BNE but don't remember a stop in ISA. My Mother tells me it was all adult pax to a seat and everyone nurse a child.

In one of the photos taken as we taxied out there is an F27 parked out front of where the Aero club used to be (Southern side of the airport then). The F27 is wearing a scheme similar to Aircruisings, (but of course they weren't around then). There is also a very sad looking bright yellow C310 that certainly wasn't parked that way up against the side of what was eventually the Lloyd's Hangar.

K

greybeard
5th Jan 2012, 06:56
An MMA/Ansett F-28, at least one in the period, left with over 100 to Kunnunurra, will contact the crew for details of date, rego etc.
I saw the A/C at Derby, never seen so many quiet and stunned people in an aircraft, hope to never again.
I think our Twin Otter did a run as well????

:ok:

Fris B. Fairing
5th Jan 2012, 07:13
Thanks everyone for the great input. Historical information like this needs to be attributed to a real person so if you don't want to be "outed" it might be best to PM me.

Rgds

teresa green
5th Jan 2012, 09:34
Stationair, that 747 had kittens, puppies, goldfish, rabbits, guinea pigs, and what ever else you could hide. The crew both CC and Tech turned a blind eye, the customs and officials did not, but as the PAX were unloaded on the jet base and not at the airport, most of these pets somehow disappeared. How anyone could take a beloved pet from a traumatised child is beyond me, but as you know there are always the officious arsehole in every exercise.

Old Fella
5th Jan 2012, 09:51
I operated (F/E) RIC-ISA-DN 27DEC74 (7.1 Hrs Night) C130A A97-212
DN-SYD-RIC 28DEC74 (6.8 Hrs Day) C130A A97-212. RIC-ISA-DN 30DEC74 (4.7 Hrs Day - 3.0 Night) C130A A97-216. DN-SYD-RIC 31DEC74 C130A A97-216 (2.8 Hrs Day - 4.1 Night) RIC-LAV-ASPGS-DN 2JAN75 C130A A97-210 (9.6 Hrs Day) DN-RIC 02JAN75 (6.2 Hrs Night). These flights were all in response to Darwin Cyclone Tracy resupply/evacuation effort. Flt Lt Brian O'Toole was the PIC on these flights. Between 14JAN75 and 20JAN75 I operated another three round trip flights to and from Darwin, all originating at RAAF RICHMOND and in various C130A's. As an aside, A97-212 is still being flown by Earl Cherry of Earl Cherry Aviation in Lousiana USA, currently engaged in trials of air to air refuelling of helicopters for the US Armed Forces. As we used to say "A's are for GO"

gobbledock
5th Jan 2012, 10:06
Bloody hell Old Fella, that's either a good memory you have or you have dusted off the log books!!

I reckon there is enough aviation people out there that can supply enough information, facts, photos etc for MacArthur Job and Fris B Fairing to write a book on the 74 cyclone evacuation, but from an aviation theme and perspective. The details are out there and Mac would be the perfect author by far. Input from journos, pilots (both civilian and RAAF), BOM, Air-services, the Regulator, Customs, even treating Doctors, nurses, army and the list goes on. 2 years to collate the info, pen the book and then release it in 2014, 40 year milestone!!

TROJAN764
5th Jan 2012, 10:19
F.B.F.

I was involved in the Darwin evacuation, as a pilot flying C130E aircraft of No 37 SQN RAAF. Did a number of flights with the first being particularly notable when the aircraft barely became airborne out of Richmond (we subsequently discovered that we were in the order of 21,000lb over max AUW, and didn't know). When I can find my RAAF log book, I will send you details of the flights I operated. If you want a copy of the safety article I wrote as the result of the overweight take off, I will scan and e-mail it to you.

Old Fella
5th Jan 2012, 10:34
gobbledock, no memory involved, just checked my log books. Trojan764, was that 21000lbs over 155000 or 175000? In my short time on the C130E I was very conscious of the increased operating weights of the aircraft over the C130A (124200lbs MTOW) with very little increase in avialable power over the C130A. I felt much more comfortable at heavy weights in the C130H than in the C130E.

spleener
5th Jan 2012, 11:21
Old Fella, before my time, but I did Have a Trojan callsign a bit later! Remember the A's didn't have enuf air beaters over at Brand X until they got their shiny Camo H's:O Oh, no comment on the E's lack of ability at 175k lbs...
However, I remember my Dad flew in to Darwin [27th ish?] on a USAF C141. I think out of RIC. He was with a bunch of Fed police who unwittingly filled him in on arrival all of the perks. Suffice to say, as an Elec Engineer, he ensured that the cops Beer refrigeration achieved an appropriate priority!

Old Fella
5th Jan 2012, 19:33
Hi Spleener, the "A" may have only had three blades per prop, but they were 15' diameter and they worked very well and they were not as noisy as many claim, if they were set up correctly. Compared to the "H", the "E" was a slug. In any event they are/were all fine aircraft which did/do serve very well. Hope you enjoy HKG as much as I did.

mmciau
5th Jan 2012, 19:44
Old Fella,

My wife was on the Hercules on 27 December that had to put down in Charleville (?) with an engine problem(?) - People of Charleville met the plane and cared for the PAX until the Herc was fixed. Then flight resumed.

Plane eventually went to Sydney where my wife was X-Rayed, then she was sent to Adelaide on Commercial 727.

Fris B. Fairing
5th Jan 2012, 21:26
gobbledock

I've no plans to write a book on the subject but if anyone feels so inclined they will have my full co-operation. The important thing is to document these flights before the information is lost. We are now 37 years removed from these events and it surprises me that this information hasn't been gathered previously. While all the personal anecdotes are interesting and make for good reading, I really need documented facts on the flights themselves with dates, aircraft identity and pax loads, ideally sourced from the log books of those involved.

TROJAN764 your kind offer is accepted. Have sent you an email.

I am still digesting information contributed to this thread and it will appear on my website eventually so thanks to all who have responded.

Rgds

TROJAN764
6th Jan 2012, 04:50
Old Fella

MTOW on the "E" was 155,000lb. On that occasion, as we discovered some time after the event, we were at 176,000lb (1,000lb over 'Emergency War Loading'). Pretty exciting take off out of Richmond as we finally got airborne crossing the departure end 'piano keys' of RWY 10. We were about level with the top of St Matthews Church (Windsor) as we flew past.

TROJAN764
6th Jan 2012, 08:39
Thanks FBF, I have your e-mail and will respond directly when I have the info to hand.

Regards

Old Fella
6th Jan 2012, 09:59
Thanks Trojan, just was unsure which weight you had exceeded. The "H" and the "E" had the same weight limitations, however the -15's were considerably more powerful giving much better hot & high performance to the "H" model. I am sure the "pucker factor" would have been pretty high on the take-off out of Richmond at 176000 lbs, especially in summer. mmciau, hope your wife enjoyed the Hercules experience, although the circumstance of her travel probably was not the time for enjoying the Lockheed legend.

RATpin
6th Jan 2012, 10:24
Good thread Blokes, thank you all. Helps to fill in a few blanks for me, I was a boy at the time and a little shell shocked.
We flew out on a QF 74 around the 28/29th I think. I do remember my sister and I sharing a seat for the journey to Syd.
I Felt a bit special at Mascot when most of the folks went to various community accommodations and (The old man worked for QF) we enjoyed the pleasure of a stay at the Wentworth.

bekolblockage
6th Jan 2012, 16:08
Was 16 at the time and flew out on a 727 direct to ADL on the 28th from recollection. Can't recall if it was Ansett or TAA I'm afraid. I vividly remember being packed in like sardines. Every row had 4 people to 3 seats with lots of additional babies/young kids being nursed. Takeoff roll seemed to take for ever.

In one of the photos taken as we taxied out there is an F27 parked out front of where the Aero club used to be (Southern side of the airport then). The F27 is wearing a scheme similar to Aircruisings, (but of course they weren't around then). There is also a very sad looking bright yellow C310 that certainly wasn't parked that way up against the side of what was eventually the Lloyd's Hangar.

Used to work at Arnhem Air Charter during my school holidays and had just started to learn to fly at the Aero Club (TIF with WC Monoghan???- don't have my first logbook to hand). I seem to recall that was actually a Fairchild 227 owned by Freeport that used to do mining runs from Darwin to Papua. Have several photos of it with a few lighties from the surrounding tarmac piled into the leading edges/engines, including Ossie Osgood's brand new Cherokee 6. The 310 was one of SAATAS' (South Aust And Territory Air Services) imbedded in the hangar door next Arnhem Air's hangar.

Brings back memories. Thanks for the thread.

Edit: On reflection, the 310 on its side belonged to Airfast I think. Photos are in Oz somewhere.

Knackers
6th Jan 2012, 21:26
Reg Adkins in "I Flew for MMA" (P258) reports a QANTAS flight with a total of 715 people on board. Additionally an F28 crewed by Graham Hewitt and Rob McMillan with 115 passengers, another with 128 people, and Harold Rowell and Colin Hey with 98.

For many years a transcript of the comms with the first C130 into Darwin and Tennant Creek FSU existed in the Darwin FSC. (Everything had had to be hand typed and telexed to Canberra). I don't if it is held by the Airservices Library.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
7th Jan 2012, 05:02
Was RAAF Tindal up and running in 1974?

mmciau
7th Jan 2012, 05:16
Tindal was operational

TROJAN764
7th Jan 2012, 05:23
CLX

I transited through Tindal on a number of Tracy flights so it was certainly in operation, however, I don't believe that it was much more than a 'bare base' at that stage. I certainly recall having problems with obtaining any support and am sure that the RAAF had only a caretaker in residence. We had one occurrance where we could not get enough power from our batteries to start the GTC (the "E models" equivalent of an APU) and actually obtained a jump start from the local auto club road service van (another interesting Tracy story, that one).

QF94
7th Jan 2012, 10:05
From a very yellowing copy of the January 1975 issue of the Qantas News, I have reproduced verbatim the Qantas rescue effort. Unfortunately, aircrfat regos are not provided. The same can be said for flying by the domestiques. I will rey to post a couple of stories about the airlift later - a scanner would be useful!!

Here's what I could dig up. Not much, but something to add. Hope this helps.

History should not be forgotten. No matter how long ago it happened.

DATE TYPE SECTOR PAX
26-Dec-74 B707 DRW/SYD 266
27-Dec-74 B707 DRW/SYD 271 VH-EAG 707-338
27-DEC-74 B707 DRW/SYD 327 VH-EAH 707-338
28-Dec-74 B747 DRW/SYD 633
B707 DRW/SYD 276
B747 DRW/SYD 673
B707 BNE/SYD 247
28-DEC-74 707-338 DRW/BNE 247 VH-EBU
28-DEC-74 707-338 DRW/SYD 270 VH-EBU
B707 SYD/MEL (QF275) 63
B747 SYD/MEL (QF2) 49
29-Dec-74 B747-238 DRW/SYD 674 +23 Crew VH-EBB QF007K
29-DEC-74 B707 DRW/SYD 246 VH-EBT 707-338
29-DEC-74 B707 DRW/SYD 226 VH-EAG 707-338
B747 DRW/SYD 370
30-Dec-74 B707 DRW/SYD 211
1-Jan-75 B707 DRW/SYD 154 VH-EAH 707-338

teresa green
7th Jan 2012, 10:06
I refuelled at Tindal, TAA, F27 (TFF) enroute from BNE as advised forget about fuel in DRW.

Centaurus
7th Jan 2012, 10:27
DCA Flying Unit F27-1 VH-TFE. Base: Essendon

Crew: Val Trevethan, Pete De Rouffignac, John Laming (all ex RAAF)
27 December 1974 Darwin-Alice Springs 39 evacuees.
28 December 1974 Darwin - Alice 39 evacuees.
28 December 1974 Darwin -Tennant Creek. 44 evacuees

Ken Borough
7th Jan 2012, 10:42
[QUOTE]History should not be forgotten[QUOTE]

Spot on, mate! Try however to tell that to the revisionists who took over following the ethnic cleansing post the 'merger'.

I'm surprised that little has emerged about TN & AN flying. Perhaps thay were too busy hating each other to keep any records.

Capt Kremin
7th Jan 2012, 11:02
Regarding the RAAF input, wouldn't there be a lot of info in the various official unit history's?

I had a relative flying the A model at the time who had his entire crew fall asleep enroute to Darwin one night.

QF94
7th Jan 2012, 12:51
I'm surprised that little has emerged about TN & AN flying. Perhaps thay were too busy hating each other to keep any records.

There are records out there Ken, but as you say, in the true spirit of competition between the two former domestic carriers, they hated one another so much. TN became QF (even though there is still red team and blue team corners within) and AN, unfortunately disappeared in one of the greatest acts of crime to allow the airline to go down the way it did.

teresa green
7th Jan 2012, 19:44
Whilst it broke our hearts QF 94 to see our great airline go the way it did, we certainly did not hate Ansett. We had a rivalry yes, but hate no. Often in the "Great Australian Air race" SYD/PER, we would wait for the other crew and have a beer with them. We were no different to any other pilots anywhere, we met with Ansett blokes and did the usual whinging about the lack of sex, salary and seniority. I imagine nothing has changed. I have never met any TAA pilot that hated Ansett. They were a truly professional outfit, (Until Abeles and followed by Murdoch) and it was truly distressing to see their distress, we won't forget Hawke, Abeles or Murdoch, until the last one of us has fallen off our perch. Now THAT IS hate!:*

Old Fella
8th Jan 2012, 01:19
CLX, Tindal was used, although as I recall only for Exercises with very few permanent personnel there. I operated through Tindal in support of Mirage ops as early as April - May '71 and it was not made fully operational until the 1980's.

peuce
8th Jan 2012, 01:23
I remember my sister in law and her family being dumped in Canberra from Darwin, via a Herc ... Holden HZ Wagon full of belongings and all!!

mmciau
8th Jan 2012, 03:45
peuce

Maybe a HQ or a very very early HJ

Holden HZ is an automobile which was produced between 1977 and 1980 by General Motors-Holden's Ltd (http://www.pprune.org/wiki/General_Motors-Holden%27s_Ltd).

Mike

Ken Borough
8th Jan 2012, 08:28
Teresa

Don't want to keep this wonderful thread 'off topic' so please check your Private Messages.

Ken

boaccomet4
9th Jan 2012, 16:22
If you want the figures for TAA flights and possibly Ansett then I suggest you contact the TAA Museum at Airport West in Melbourne. I inform you that TAA created a world record for over 200 pax on the B727 which normally carried around 150. Also the passengers had no or very little baggage and yes some pets were carried. Firstly - the way that TAA was able to seat so many people was that the aircraft were equipped with seats that could not only be converted to First Class but also to all economy - just by simply removing and repositioning armrests. Secondly - if you folded the armrests back then it was easy to fit 4 people in three seats and extend seatbelts and use seatbelt extenders (as they do for lets say "wide body pax.") Add to that infant seat belts for children and you increase passenger load. Another thing to remember is that it was a National Emergency and concessions were made. Also TAA and Qantas were in a position where the Government could combine their operations as part of a transport division of the RAAF. My understanding is that QF indeed carried around 700 on the B747-200. With no baggage or cargo it makes it even easier. You might also be interested to know that cartons of Stubbies shorts for males and blue dresses for women of all ages were sent to Darwin to clothe the evacuees. Great PR exercise for an Aussie clothing manufactuer at the time. The evacuation of people from Darwin continued for a couple of months and most if not all were transported by the use of government warrants ( think of them as open cheques for each person to relocate to relatives away from Darwin.)

9th Jan 2012, 22:18
Tindal was operational

Sure was.

Bit off topic but, I spent a few hours playing cricket on the tarmac while waiting for approval to land at Darwin. I had a load of Wollies employees from BNE who had to get the Wollies store operational. The store had its own generator and getting it up and running was the first item on the list.

Sleeping in front of the cold dairy cabinet on a camp stretcher that night was immeasurably better than sleeping in the tent in the carpark.

teresa green
9th Jan 2012, 22:42
Boaccomet, it was also interesting to note that the current QF staff at the time, had begged, borrowed and stolen anything that was not nailed down, to give to the Darwinians on arrival. They had boxes of everything imaginable, from food to clothing, toys etc and as the bewildered Territorians arrived they were inundated with gifts and offers of accommodation, not just from QF staff but TN and AN also. That is of course when Airlines were "families" and people were not so suspicious or cautious. If the same thing happened now, insurance would be the big question, and QF, TN, and AN or of course now JQ and Virgin would not dare to perform the same feats. The repercussions would not be worth it, and I imagine the full job would now fall on the RAAF.

Stationair8
10th Jan 2012, 04:34
Don't forget Connellan Airlines operated their DC-3 single pilot for a while after Cyclone Tracey to keep things moving, using a radio operater in the right hand seat.

Imagine ringing up your friendly CASA FOI on Christmas day and saying, "listen old chap we going to be running around in the DC-3 for a while single pilot and carrying passengers, freight, odd medivac, Darwins got no navaids or met forecasts and the pilots will be working sun up to sun down, no problems with that?"

The guy that had the car rental business near Darwin airport in the 80's had a collection of photos he had taken around the airport on Christmas day. The early model C310 flipped up against the hangar always sticks in my mind.

Just a little side story, some of the people flown out of Darwin post Cyclone Tracey finished up in Hobart on the 5th of January 1975. Fortunately for them, they made it safely across the Tasman Bridge before it got struck by the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra and a span collapsed into the Derwent killing a number of people. My uncle was a senior commonwealth public servant, who been seconded to Hobart during this time as part of the relief effort. He had seen the last bus off from Hobart airport and had stayed back to check on details for the next lot of arrivals for Monday. When they arrived to cross the bridge 30 minutes later, the bridge was out of action.

nitpicker330
10th Jan 2012, 12:32
Bacommet:- I hate to bust your bubble but as mentioned in the start of this thread we ( Ansett Airlines of Australia ) carried 313 pax on our first 727-277 flight out of Darwin to Adelaide on the 28th Dec 1974. A record for a 727 anywhere in the world until 3 months later when World Airways carried 330 pax on a 727-100 war evac flight out of Danang Vietnam.
How do I know? I was on the jump seat that first flight out after spending Xmas in the Cyclone. Something I'll never forget.

Teresa:- fully agree with you regarding Ansett/TAA Pilot relations, whilst rivals we were good friends and helped each other frequently. The NT track trips on the F27 were quite fun I'm told !!

mmciau
10th Jan 2012, 19:59
OT Aah, the Milk Run on the F27 out of Darwin to Alice Springs - a topic for another day!!

teresa green
10th Jan 2012, 20:07
You wanna believe it Nitpicker, normally finishing in that great little Greek restaurant in Smith St, best tucker ever, sadly it got blown away as well. Just about every crew headed there.

Fris B. Fairing
10th Jan 2012, 20:08
The book "Connellan Airways Outback Airline" states that after the cyclone, Heron VH-CLS and 3 DC-3s were ferried back from Katherine. One of the DC-3s is later identified as VH-EWE but what were the other two? I have not been able to eliminate one of PWM, UPQ or MIN. Any ideas?

The list is progressing well although I am still processing some input from this thread. Please keep it coming.

CYCLONE TRACY EVACUATION FLIGHTS (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Rgds

teresa green
11th Jan 2012, 05:57
MIN or MI:mad:N as she was so fondly known, was A TAA aircraft, but whether she was still reg then, perhaps the TAA historian would know. MIN was used extensively when leased "wet" to the Dept of Mineral Resources, and she could have been flying under their flag at the time. I flew her for three wonderful years under their flag, and wished I had had the brains to invest in the minerals that were being discovered as we chris crossed miles of FA at 500 ft. Another story again.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
11th Jan 2012, 07:02
According to various people, including a Connair pilot that VH-CLX was the one that provided the comms out of Darwin on Christmas morning. The Heron later acquired the name "Nammo" which came from the engineer that spent the night on a tug towing her around the tarmac to keep her facing into wind. The engineer apparently kept himself lubricated with a couple of cartons of a certain breweries finest product.

One of the FSO's in Darwin, used to tell a bit of yarn about the Connair Heron diverting from Darwin to Katherine on Christmas Eve due to the excessive crosswind at Darwin.

Dog One
11th Jan 2012, 08:12
Heron CLT was left in darwin due to non availability of crew to fly it out. Nammo saved the aircraft by attaching the tug to the rear towing point. He complained that when he opened the first four cans of beer, the wind strenght blew them out of his hand!!

Howard Bailes attempted to bring the crews back from Katherine to be with their families, how-ever, the weather was very poor and they were unable to align the aircraft with the runway after becoming visual due to the cross wind.

Contact with Alice Springs FSU was made using the HF in CLT, although the aircraft sustained some damage, the avionics were okay. Later in the morning CLS returned from Katherine and took over the radio relay role. Connair engineers repaired the damage to CLT to enable it to be used.

Connair DC-3 VH-EWE made the first flight out of Darwin mainly with Connair staff.

bushpig
11th Jan 2012, 08:21
Just a bit of background info and after all the years my facts may be a bit out. As I remember it the first comms or at least some of the first out of Darwin may have been from the RAAF control tower in Darwin to RAAF Base Ops in Canberra by phone. That was all that could be established at that point very early on. Base Ops in Canberra was right next to the old "civil" Approach Control Unit. The Approach Control unit Flight Data officer (civil not RAAF Controller) then became the link between Darwin and the National Disaster Centre being set up in Canberra to coordinate the evacuation etc etc Eventually the Flight Data Officers ended up completing quite a few shifts in that centre in Northbourne Ave in Canberra. They basically assisted the fairly complicated comms between Darwin and the various emergency services. I do remember a "Bushies" DC3 being in the fray somewhere and perhaps positioning up from Alice Springs. I later found out a mate of mine was crewing it.
The comms that were established by "just trying it" were quite amazing. Years prior to the internet I thought it would be worth a go to try out the "addressees" of the police teleprinter system into the departure messages from Darwin (RAAF ATC) via the aviation or "AFTN" printer network system. There was no connection as far as anyone knew but it worked. The police in NSW was one example where if I remember correctly, they got the departure messages and others directly but then couldn't understand many of them.
An attempt at keeping an accurate log was made, from memory although all was quite chaotic, and could possibly be obtained if archived in Canberra somewhere wherever the National Disaster Centre records are archived.

mmciau
11th Jan 2012, 08:25
Dog One,

Was there much debris on the Runway - I was told that the RAAF used the large bulldozer/crane they had to clean the runway.

Might be story of legends!!!:suspect:

Mike

Centaurus
11th Jan 2012, 09:22
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/HSWL/CycloneTracyDarwin001.jpg

One result of Tracy

Brian Abraham
11th Jan 2012, 10:20
A couple of yarns.

Lyall O'Donoghue Navy HS 748
I was in hospital (appendix op) when Tracy hit. I got to Nowra on 27th/28th of Dec I think and flew to Darwin soon after. Phil Landon was F.O.
and Peter Robottom (Bum Bum) was the navigator I think on the first flight We carried chainsaws and ladies underwear/cosmetics as best I can recall. I still had the stitches in from the appendix op and the seat-belt rubbed on them all the way to Darwin causing a bit of pain. I found the sick bay at Coonawarra to try to get some relief. They thought that I had escaped from Darwin General Hospital after Tracy and were going to lock me up! It took a bit of talking to convince them that I was the Skipper of one of the resue aircraft!! We left the next day with about 46 pax and only 20 or so seats!! We routed via Mt Isa, Brisbane, Sydney to Nowra. On the first leg they got up to quite a bit of mischief and Bum Bum was worried that they were going to open the emergency escape windows. (Post traumatic stress reaction I guess!) The only thing I could think to do was to send Bum Bum back with the message that we were having problems with one on the engines and that they should sit still etc. Then I briefly shutdown the number 2 engine - the 748 prop would rotate very slowly when feathered - and shook the aircraft around a bit and restarted number two donk. Bum Bum said they all went very pale and decided to go to sleep. No problems from them after that.
Apparently, one sailor and his girlfriend took up residence in the rear baggage compartment and "enjoyed" each others company immensely for most of the first leg!

Some days after the first rescue mission I went back again but details are very sketchy. By then I had had the stitches removed and it was a much more comfortable trip!

One last thing, on the first trip, Phil and I had to hand fly the aircraft the round trip as the auto-pilot was U/S. All shoulders to the wheel sort of thing.

Ron Green, FO of record breaking 747
We were, I believe, the second aircaft into Darwin for the evacuation airlift - the first being a Herc. flown by an old mate , Bill Fewster (Sqn. Ldr. at the time). Our aircraft was a B747-200B, registration VH-EBB flown by Ken Nicholson , myself, and crew.
We had told Darwin we could carry 750 pax. but ended up with (only) 694 as that was all there were at the time at the airport who wanted out. That flight was followed by another jumbo which carried slightly fewer - can't recall the number as I didn't record it.
Of interest is we were still 80 tonnes under max. TOW out of Darwin as we took round trip fuel from Sydney.

An interesting thing concerning the evacuation airlift was that 'the powers that be' brought in Allan Stretton (Brigadier) to run the operation, whilst right on the spot was Dave 'Crazy Horse' Hitchins who was the Group Captain Base Commander in Darwin - a former C.O. of 36 (Herc.) Sqn, and also the R.A.A.F Commander of the Dakota Sqn (I think it was 38 Sqn.) during the Berlin airlift. Dave had also been Senior Staff Officer (Air Transport) at Ops. Command, and the commander of the first flight into Iwakuni on cessation of WW2. During the entire Darwin op. he was never called - sat in his office and went over to each incoming aircraft, saying g'day and offering cups of tea ! - It was a great cup of tea too ! Sadly, Dave (who also painted extremely well but would not show his work publicly) left for the great hangar in the sky about 18 months ago. All who worked either for or with him held him in high regard.

teresa green
11th Jan 2012, 11:32
I can assure you Dave (crazy horse) Hitchins hated Stretton with a passion. I received more than a earful the day I arrived in TFF, and ended up in future years becoming a close mate. David died on the 18 Jan last year, and a large military funeral was held in NTL. Just why they overlooked Hitchins I have no idea, he was a ideal military man, competent, smart and a great organiser, who never suffered fools wisely. I can only think it was political, but Dave never quite got over it. His kids gave himself and myself a sign they had made, we both put it up over our shed doors, it said, " be reasonable, do it my way" I guess it says a lot about both of us. I have tried to improve. Hitchins was a great support during 89 (he hated pollies even more) and was on the side of the pilots, even if it meant that the govt. had to "borrow" his beloved aircraft, and it would be safe to say, (and he always used to say it) that he was the prime unpaid producer for QF as he steadily churned out pilots and flight engineers that left his Squadron for greener fields, and I guess some of the current Skippers of today were Hitchin "trained". RIP ol fella you were one of the best, there is a bar named after him in DRW base, I cannot think of a better memorial.

nitpicker330
11th Jan 2012, 13:22
From the Captains logbook:

27th Dec 1974 DRW ADL VH-RMV 727-277 Pax 311 + staff pax 3 + crew 7 = POB 321

A record for the 727 at the time.

Written up in the Daily Telegraph 7/2/74 regarding the record.

Cheers

Brian Abraham
12th Jan 2012, 07:04
that 747 had kittens, puppies, goldfish, rabbits, guinea pigs, and what ever else you could hideWhat interest could the jobsworth have had? Did they think Darwin was some exotic disease ridden cesspit not of Australia?

teresa green
12th Jan 2012, 10:54
That is exactly what they thought Brian Abraham, they totally overreacted, destroying anything that had more than two legs. Just stupid bureaucracy at its worst, as killing family pets only added to the trauma. Once this was realised, naturally anything that could be hidden was, only to meet more stupid bureaucracy at the other end. You would have thought I would have the brains to check the two cats in cages for forwarding addresses, that I inherited, but everything was so chaotic it was the last thing on my mind. I always thought those two cats were symbolic of defying stupidity (both mine and the powers to be) and they took over our household, took the best chairs, beat the hell out of the dogs, and I moved yet further down the food chain. But I never regretted taking them.

Centaurus
12th Jan 2012, 12:41
One last thing, on the first trip, Phil and I had to hand fly the aircraft the round trip as the auto-pilot was U/S. All shoulders to the wheel sort of thing.

Which is why I have the greatest respect for Canberra bomber pilots who flew high altitude, single pilot, no automatic pilot, no weather radar and and only one ADI and a turn and bank indicator to fall back on if the ADI toppled.

Bashing through the ITZ and among huge CB was normal SOP in some parts of the world. Add to that the propensity for high altitude engine flame-outs, then you have some highly experienced instrument pilots.

Fris B. Fairing
13th Jan 2012, 05:13
Thanks to everyone who has contributed so much useful information. Included in today's update is the story of Ray Vuillermin's day at the office. This is a great read which Ray has compiled in the last couple of days especially for us.

It will be noted that the list now has an arbitrary cut-off point of 03 JAN as this date marked the resumption of RPT flights from Brisbane. Please keep the contributions coming.

Read the list and Ray's story here (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Arcturus
13th Jan 2012, 05:51
On checking my logbook, I find that I operated as F/O on a TAA evacuation flight on 29th December 1974. The aircraft was B727-200 VH-TBJ and the Captain was Ron Black. I don't recall who was the F/E. We flew from BNE to DRW then direct to SYD where we disembarked our pax at the International Terminal which was being used as a reception centre for evacuees. I seem to remember a figure of about 232 pax on board.
During the ensuing 4 weeks I operated a further 5 flights out of DRW to BNE with Capts Tom Bennett, Cliff Meares & Keith Galloway, but these were operated with normal pax loads.

boaccomet4
13th Jan 2012, 12:22
Hey Nitpicker. Thanks for the feedback. I was not aware that Ansett got the record for the B727 re pax load. Hope that world record histoians documented it all. Also I have to agree that relations with Ansett and TAA were cordial and the airlines often helped each other other during times of aircraft unserviceabilities etc. I looked at the relationship between Ansett and TAA just as your would the mutual respect between two opposing rugby teams. Both were in there for the game of the competition but in reality were both fulfilling the same job with the best of intensions,loyalty and mutual respect between the two teams. The other brilliant fact is that they had a common spare parts pool for their identical fleets (well the 70's anyway). Great way to save money on holding spare engines etc.

Brian Abraham
13th Jan 2012, 21:51
By a C-130 pilot who wishes to remain anonymous.

25Dec74
I was celebrating 1974 Christmas with my family at my in-laws house in Sydney on Christmas Day when I heard about Cyclone Tracey on the radio. I rang the squadron (C130 – “Herc” Squadron) immediately to offer my services as I knew they would become involved. But all aircraft had already been crewed up, so I was asked to depart Richmond on 27Dec when another aircraft would then be available.

27-28Dec74
On 27Dec I picked up an aircraft and a crew and departed for Canberra where we picked up emergency equipment for Darwin. As there was uncertainty about the weather, and the availability of fuel in Darwin, we then flew to Alice Springs where we topped up with enough fuel to fly to Darwin, not be able to land, and to return to Alice (or some other place).Then on the Darwin, which had no working navigation aids, nor radar or approach aids, nor “normal” communications available. We did not have an understanding of the actual weather, nor the actual state of the airfield, but en-route we discussed how we were going to penetrate the cloud, arrive at the airfield and assess the runway condition. I recall the Tower only had a hand-held VHF radio set but once we were in range of that we were able to be briefed on what to expect, and we knew other aircraft had gotten in OK. The navigator on board was a USAF exchange officer, and he had conducted Airborne Radar Approaches in Hercs in the USAF and he convinced me that this was a good option, tho I had never performed one or even discussed such a thing. Anyhow, because Darwin airport stuck out on a spit of land we figured the “weather” radar in the Herc would be able to pick this up and allow us to line up on the runway. And so we performed this manoeuvre from a straight-in approach, and my memory of it was that we broke overcast cloud at 500’ AGL with the aircraft lined up on the runway at a suitable distance which allowed us to land straight ahead. The weather was not a problem as I recall – not heavy rain or strong winds. A path had been cleared down the centre of the runway with debris pushed to either side. No problem as the runway was very wide and we had plenty of room to land.

The concerns at Darwin were largely associated with the fear of diseases from malfunctioning infrastructure so the main aim was to evacuate Darwin as soon as possible. The civilian passenger terminal was set up with placards showing the Australian major cities, and passengers were asked to wait under the sign of their preferred destination. When an aircraft load was assembled, an aircraft and crew would be assigned to fly there. My first load was to Brisbane and we did a night flight there, making it a long day for us.
The next day we returned to Darwin via RAAF Base Amberley to pick up more equipment (lots of tents, generators and medical gear.)

29-30Dec74
On the 29th we again departed Darwin for Brisbane, arriving after dark, and then on the Rockhampton, arriving after midnight (about 1am as I recall). We had a problem with the aircraft which required us to keep one engine running while we loaded more emergency equipment and refuelled the aircraft. This took over an hour, so for all that time the residents of Rockhampton were subjected to the dulcet tones of the Allison T56 engine. Once loaded, back to Darwin by night, arriving early on the 30th, so all up it had been a long period on duty.

After some time on the ground at Darwin, the next task was a flight to Adelaide. When I returned to the aircraft from Flight Planning at Darwin, the Loadmaster informed me that a police car had driven up to the back of the aircraft and two burly NT Policeman had bundled a person onto the aircraft and departed without a word. As this seemed strange I rang the Darwin Police who stated that the person was a known criminal who had shot a Policeman in Darwin, and who had a distinct dislike for all police to the extent that he would go mental at the sight of a police uniform. I expressed my concern about what would happen on arrival Adelaide as there were sure to be emergency services personnel meeting the aircraft including Police. I was assured that the Adelaide end was covered and would not be an issue.
On arrival at Adelaide that night, an ambulance backed up to the aircraft once the engines were shut down and the ramp opened. This seemed strange as we had no-one on board that needed medical attention. The back doors of the ambulance opened and out jumped two policemen who ran into the aircraft, grabbed the criminal and bundled him into the ambulance and drove off.

The aircraft was fitted out for military passengers so had four rows of canvas seating arranged longitudinally down the aircraft providing 94 sideways-facing passenger seats. On this flight we actually carried 168 passengers, mainly women and children, so the women had to carry their children on their laps for the 5 hour flight. Not only was this very uncomfortable for them, but the aircraft had no toilet facilities other than a tin can with a canvas curtain located on the aircraft rear ramp. The aircraft was never intended for civilian passengers and was cold, noisy and uncomfortable, and had no catering facilities other than the dreaded “box lunch”. These passengers did it tough, and some urinated in the seats. Evacuees who managed to get on civilian airliners had a much better time of it.

During the flight down to Adelaide, we devised a roster to enable each member of the flight deck crew to have a quick “Z”, as we were all tired. Other crewmembers took over the tasks of the sleeping person for half an hour or so. When I woke up from my turn to have a “Z”, I looked around the flight deck and all crewmembers were asleep – the Herc had just kept droning on with the autopilot engaged! There was then a flurry of activity as our current position was re-established and normal duties recommenced!

Multiple flights to Darwin taking mainly generators. The civilian evacuations were mainly being handled by civilian aircraft so the return flights sometimes consisted of a few Servicemen, and their cars!

One load we took to Darwin consisted entirely of sheets of roofing iron. As this was a dense load and very heavy, it constituted the heaviest load I ever carried in the Herc. Normally the cargo hold would “bulk-out” around 20,000 pounds but this load was 45,000 pounds and this unusually high cargo weight, together with the fuel necessary for the flight, put the aircraft over its normal maximum all-up-weight, and we needed to use the “war-overload” provision to depart. Under this provision, the aircraft needed to have a minimum amount of fuel in the wing tanks at all times to retain wing rigidity, so this required us to make an intermediate stop for fuel as otherwise we would have arrived at Darwin with less than the required amount in the wing tanks.

3rd Party Incidents (not verified)

1. On approaching Darwin, the Herc was struck by lightning, taking out the aircraft radar and compasses. The aircraft had some difficulty locating Darwin, and had no way to penetrate cloud, so eventually another Herc was despatched and shepherded the stricken aircraft into Darwin.

2. One Herc on the ground at Darwin had an engine problem and was awaiting a spare. But tarmac space was limited so the Senior Officer directed that the aircraft depart on 3 engines without passengers or cargo. Shortly after takeoff the aircraft suffered another engine failure, but don’t recall where it landed.Perhaps the "The concerns at Darwin were largely associated with the fear of diseases from malfunctioning infrastructure" may indicate why the pets were taken from the pax. Is there a vet in the house who could comment?

trashie
16th Jan 2012, 02:39
MMCIAU
Just found the thread. I was captain on your wife's aircraft. It was actually Mt Isa and what a fantastic response from the town.
We had a slight leak from one of the props. We probably would have made Brisbane but did not want to risk a shutdown if the RPM went out of limits so topped the oil up at Isa.

trashie
16th Jan 2012, 03:46
Capt Kremlin,
Re the crew goinbg to sleep, there was no such thing as fatigue management. I did three trips in an A (not asleep though) and my average crew day was 40 hours over the three trips.
My second trip was the most interesting. Lost an engine due to nacelle overheat going into Darwin. An engine change was required; but I was ordered off the airfield by Gpt capt Hitchins (an old 36 Sqn CO) and took off on three engines declaring a PAN on taxy. Got an overtemp on one of the other engines on take off but elected to keep it going. Went to Tindal after 40 hours awake. After double engine change returned to Darwin for fuel and flew to Adelaide via Tindal to pick up an orphanage and a hippie colony plus a rabbit and two puppies. total pax and crew 186 with 19 on the flight deck.

Fris B. Fairing
16th Jan 2012, 04:03
I'm pleased to report significant progress with the list. Through a miracle of bowerbirdery we have what purports to be a complete list of all TAA flights connected with the evacuation. What we desperately need now is an Ansett bowerbird.

I have also added a contemporary list of aircraft destroyed or damaged by the cyclone.

The List (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Rgds

Rule3
16th Jan 2012, 05:33
Bekol, How are you?

The F27 was a Fairchild formerly N228X that was then Indonesian registered as PKVFM and did the Timika run to Freeport mine in Irian Jaya.

I once flew in the yellow C310 to Scott Creek with Graeme Schumann. The callsign will come to me.

Can't remember which 2 of UPQ, MIN, or PWM were in Darwin then.

Comms were done by the RAAF from the Small Tower on the Fire Station Using a Portable VHF TX/RX. If I remember correctly Acft called inbound at 200nm inbound to TN VOR and came in on the 321 R and out on the 118 from Darwin to ISA.

My Pregnant wife and her mother were evacuated on VHTFE.

Stationair8
16th Jan 2012, 08:47
The C310 was VH-PRC.

What happened to the Doves of NTAMS, flown south prior to the cyclone?

Apart from Ossie and the aero club, was there any other GA companies in Darwin on those days?

Old Fella
16th Jan 2012, 09:00
As Trashie said, not much in the way of fatigue management in the military in days gone by. I recall one trip, not Cyclone Tracy related, where we originated in Bulawayo, flew to Salisbury and waited three hours for our pax who were delayed, flew to Mauritius which was supposed to be a night stop. Changed to tech stop then to Perth (tech stop) to Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney. To try and get somewhere near crew duty limit compliance a replacement tech crew was requested to meet us in Perth. Only a F/O and F/E available, the F/E requiring a line check which was conducted Perth-Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney. Not 40 hours but 15.5 hours block time logged without crew rest. And some not part of it thought the B707 operations to be a "cream" job.

Dale Hardale
16th Jan 2012, 09:07
I recall leaving Darwin on a TAA F27 late on a very wet and windy 24th for Baucau in Timor. A very rough ride.

We were lucky to get out when we did.

Fred Niven
16th Jan 2012, 19:38
I'd be very interested in details of the crew, which flew 727-277 VH-RMV DRW-ADL on 27/12/74, in what I understand is still the World record for uplift by a 727.
I tried to find an online copy of the Daily Telegraph article on 7/2/74, but couldn't locate one.
Many thanks.
Fred Niven (Ansett Group historian)

WMUOSF
16th Jan 2012, 19:44
Fred, if memory serves me right Capt. Wally Oldcastle.

nitpicker330
17th Jan 2012, 12:24
Nope wasn't Wally, check the page notes. :ok:

Dogimed
17th Jan 2012, 22:30
http://www.nretas.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/image/0007/115567/3_5.jpg
Credit (http://www.nretas.nt.gov.au/knowledge-and-history/northern-territory-library/online_resources/cyclone_tracy/the_day_after)

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3110338-v
Credit (http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3110338)

I notice there is no Electra on the list?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3112923-v
Credit (http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3112923)

http://www.naa.gov.au/naaresources/publications/research_guides/nt-guide/img/900/20.jpg
Credit (http://www.naa.gov.au/naaresources/publications/research_guides/nt-guide/gallery/image20.html)

The momentum of the evacuations was regained, and in the end 25,628 people were evacuated by air, and 7,234 left by road. By 31 December 1974 only 10,638 people remained in Darwin. (Milliken, 199).

Dog

Fris B. Fairing
17th Jan 2012, 23:29
Dogimed

I notice there is no Electra on the list?

I hang my head in shame at such a serious omission even though I have tended to concentrate mainly on aeroplanes that evacuated pax. Having said that I suppose it's conceivable that some pax did travel on the Electras in small numbers even though all three were freighters by then. RMG wasn't delivered until August 75 so that leaves only RMA, RMB and RMC in the frame.

Anyone with log book entries to support their inclusion?

Rgds

Fris B. Fairing
18th Jan 2012, 06:07
This precious memento of the Cyclone Tracy (no "e") airlift comes from the collection of Tracey (with an "e") Turner who was a passenger on the flight. The crew have thoughtfully amended the tail number so it can be presumed that the aircraft was C-130A A97-216. The date is believed to have been 27 December. Thanks Tracey for sharing this. Any of the crew out there?

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/flight-progress-a97-216-27dec74b.jpg

Flying Binghi
18th Jan 2012, 06:47
...I hang my head in shame at such a serious omission even though I have tended to concentrate mainly on aeroplanes that evacuated pax...

What about them radial engined cargo planes ? (Not DC3) ah seems to recall seeing one or so in the weeks after the blow.

30/30 Green Light
20th Jan 2012, 23:33
PK-VFM was a FH227 with hydraulic systems rather than pneumatics.It was eventually ferried to CHC for repairs at the then NZNAC.It was jigged up and then both wing planks were totally replaced,rerigged and sent on its way.At the time there was a large team of ex Fokker sheeties employed there who made the whole job look rather mundane.Apparently it was the first time replanking had been undertaken outside the Fokker/Stork facilities.

O_Wright
21st Jan 2012, 04:44
I've been reading this thread with fascination. Although not directly involved during the cyclone I joined one of the GA outfits in the Top End not long after. At the time I recall Arnhem Air Charter, NT Air Charter and SAATAS being there when the cyclone struck. The owner of NT Air Charter was Graham Ball who now lives on the Gold Coast and may be able to provide some more info for your project. A variety of SAATAS and Arnhem pilots are still in the business and I imagine that once the word gets around they may be able to supply some extra info. John Hardy, a well known DRW GA identity and who still lives in DRW would most surely have some info for you.

As a point of interest I recollect talking to Arthur Reddick who was one of the SAATAS pilots. He was forced to overnight on Melville Island (Pickertaramoor I think) due to deteriorating weather on the eve of the cyclone and next morning was unaware of what had transpired in Darwin. He left for Darwin at dawn but was unable to contact anyone on VHF but was able to talk to Katherine on HF who informed him that there seemed to be a "problem" in DRW. His description to me of what he saw as he arrived over coast north of Darwin is still stuck in my head especially as his wife and kids were down there amongst the debris. They survived. I suspect Arthur flew the first aircraft into DRW and his description via HF was one of the first available to the "outside world".

The evacuation and repair of DRW was an incredible effort and I salute all those involved.

Fris B. Fairing
21st Jan 2012, 07:57
Thanks Orv for reminding us of the significant part played by GA. The existing list shows that a SAATAS C310 was first into DRW on Christmas Day but I would really appreciate more details to confirm this. If any readers were involved in GA ops or know of someone who was involved please ask them to come forward.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed. I'm getting a lot of PMs with log book details so the response has been even better than this thread suggests. I'm gradually working my way through them and adding them to the list. Keep it coming.

Flying Binghi

What about them radial engined cargo planes ? (Not DC3)

I presume you are talking about Caribou. Supporting evidence will be most welcome.

Regards
Ron

lurker999
22nd Jan 2012, 07:51
I was on one of those 747s to Sydney and yes there were people et al everywhere. the old terminal didn't look too much different, the missing windows etc made little difference really. piece of crap that place was.

on a lighter note, i hope no one was hauled over the coals for that TAA 727 having Ansett stairs.:=

Flying Binghi
22nd Jan 2012, 10:50
I presume you are talking about Caribou. Supporting evidence will be most welcome.

Nah, looked more like a British machine like that Freighter at moorabbin museum. Many beers ago now so memorys a bit vague.

Fris B. Fairing
23rd Jan 2012, 23:40
Flying Binghi

There were 4 Bristol Freighters still in service at the time of Tracy (ADL, SJG, SJQ and TBB) so it is conceivable that they were used for disaster relief. Supporting evidence would be welcomed.

There is anecdotal evidence that RAAF Caribou and Ansett Air Freight Electras were used. It surprises me that no Bou drivers have come forward thus far. If you know one please ask him to check his log book. Similarly any Wombat crews.

Thanks again folks for all the input. I reckon I'm up to date with the list so if your flights do not appear please give me a reminder using the email link on the page.

The List (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Rgds

angry ant
24th Jan 2012, 00:39
Frizzie,

Check your PM's re Wombat 2 and myself

angry ant

angry ant
24th Jan 2012, 05:34
Gidday Frizzie,

Check your Email,

I arrived on Boxing Day morning, just after dawn, in Wombat 2, Electra VH- RMB, I was the F/O. The tower told us that we were no. 2 to arrive, a RAAF C- 130 was 1st, a bit under 30 minutes before us.

angry ant

TROJAN764
24th Jan 2012, 06:29
F.B.F.

Finally e-mailed the Tracy info I promised. Don't know why the attachments doubled up.

Regards

Revcorp
25th Jan 2012, 07:38
I've followed this thread with interest. It brought back memories of what happened here in Christchurch a bit under a year ago.

I'm a civil engineer with an interest in aviation, and have been involved in the disaster response here. I would like to make some comments on disaster response based on my experiences here and on some of the responses to this thread. I apologise for a slight thread drift, and for some not specifically aviation comments.

Transportation is absolutely essential for getting urgent supplies, equipment and personnel in, and injured, sick and vulnerable residents out. Time is of the essence in the immediate aftermath of a disaster, and air transport is the quickest way of getting in and out. Therefore a functioning aerodrome is invaluable in the immediate aftermath. I would see a "functioning aerodrome" as consisting of: a usable runway, somewhere to park aircraft, and rudimentary navigation and communication. I would welcome comments from pilots on that list.
I'm concerned that many of the airports in NZ are located near the coast where they would be vulnerable to flood or tsunami and on ground which is vulnerable to liquifaction in earthquakes. If Christchurch's airport had been in the eastern (coastal) suburbs, the runways would probably have been unusable.
People making decisions on the ground need to know enough about what they're doing to be able to know when the consequences of following the letter of the rule book may be worse than the consequences of bending the rules a bit.
These people need to make decisions quickly under extremely difficult conditions. Occassionally they will make mistakes. The last thing we need is for some shiny arse lawyer to crucify their decision after having carefully considered all the pros and cons over many months
When mother nature is throwing her toys out of the cot big time, and your world is being turned inside out, simple human kindnesses (like making an effort to come and help, adopting a couple of homeless cats, a kind word to someone on a flight out....) makes a huge difference. I for one have really appreciated the efforts of aviation people (and countless others) from around NZ and Aus who came to help us. I have a much better understanding now (than a year ago) of how much difference the guys & girls mentioned in this thread would've made to the people of Darwin. I salute you, and hope you realise how incredibly valuable your contributions have been.

Fris B. Fairing
25th Jan 2012, 20:19
Flying Binghi

I am advised by someone who used to fly Bristol Freighters that it would have taken almost 14 hours to fly to Darwin from their Melbourne base! Given that an Ansett Electra was flying that route on Boxing Day I think it most unlikely that the B170 would have been pressed into service.

Revcorp, thanks for your insight.

Rgds

teresa green
26th Jan 2012, 20:30
A good article Revcorp, especially the legal bit. I doubt any airline would want to be involved if it happened this month again, they certainly would not take the loads that they took, and I personally would pale at the thought of wandering around the countryside becoming desperate as I could not find any hospital who could take my Ladies. The legal implications that would take place if a baby was born dead, or the mother herself died from lack of medical care, simply because I decided to go onto Mackay, instead of insisting that ISA take them, makes my blood run cold. But then it was not even a issue, it was the last thing on my mind, just managing a aircraft full of the most unusual PAX and with the possibility of adding to the PAX list at any time was enough for me, and if I had my time over again I would have landed at ISA and refused to budge, that trip to Mackay was the longest and most stressful of my life as a airline pilot, as we also had indigenous mums to be on board, some who had barely seen a aircraft much less having to endure two take offs and landings, they were terrified. I cannot speak highly enough of the CC and medical people we had with us, without their dedication and kindness to all on board we could not have pulled it off. As for the two cats, they took over the house, and ruled it with a iron paw, as only cats can, and both lived to a ripe old age, we enjoyed their company.

Taildragger67
27th Jan 2012, 04:44
TG,

Let me guess, you named them 'Darwin' and 'Fitzroy'?

Slight Thread Drift alert

Good on you all, I was only a young tacker at the time, our only family involvement was Dad (RAAFR) being called away from Christmas to help on the logistics side at Riccy. I recall being made to feel very lucky that I had a solid roof over my head with some of the stories he came back with a few days later.

Hats off... still. :D

teresa green
27th Jan 2012, 08:39
Eh no, we called them "Clawed" who destroyed the furniture, and TFF (TIF) named after the aircraft involved.

Jenny12
29th Jan 2012, 03:38
That's 'our' house behind the DC3. Dad (David Hitchins) got a parking ticket which had been placed on it by the Service Police.

FlareArmed
29th Jan 2012, 10:07
Lost an engine due to nacelle overheat going into Darwin. An engine change was required; but I was ordered off the airfield by Gpt capt Hitchins (an old 36 Sqn CO) and took off on three engines declaring a PAN on taxy.

That story was legendary at 36SQN in the 80s.

Fris: was that PLTOFF John O'Meagher (aka Omega)?

trashie
30th Jan 2012, 01:01
No it was "Trackless" Millsom

Old Fella
30th Jan 2012, 03:20
Legs so short his backside rubbed out his foot prints!!!! Sorry Trashie, just had to explain for those not in the know.

Jenny12
30th Jan 2012, 03:59
Sorry this has taken years to emerge! One of the messages we got after Dad died last year was from Geoff Kendall. It's on the Airman Aircrew site so I'm guessing it's OK to reproduce.. Geoff wrote "I think the last time I saw Dave, he was the OC Darwin, literally the day after Tracy hit the place, when I bowled in unannounced in a Bristol Freighter with a load of corrugated roofing, rolls of hessian and tar paper et al. He greeted me with his usual courtesy ("Kendall, what the hell are YOU doing here?") but he could have kissed me when he learned what I had brought in. As I say, lots of memories and all good ones."
That may answer your query about whether there was a Bristol Freighter there. There was!

FlareArmed
30th Jan 2012, 08:44
No it was "Trackless" Millsom

Thanks, but which O'Meagher was it mentioned on the scanned passenger information sheet?

Fris B. Fairing
30th Jan 2012, 09:17
FlareArmed

The pax info sheet came from a passenger not one of the crew so I can't help you there.

Readers would be aware that AIRCDRE David Hitchins' daughter Jenny has joined this thread. Jenny has afforded me the honour and privilege of access to her father's papers. I have gleaned a lot of useful information from them and I have just uploaded a summary to my website.

The Hitchins Papers (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy-hitchins-papers.htm)

The Main List (http://www.adastron.com/aviation/tracy/tracy.htm)

Thanks also Jenny for the lead on the Bristol Freighter. It turns out I knew Geoff Kendall when he was flying for Norfolk Island Airlines. Anyone have a current contact?

Rgds

teresa green
30th Jan 2012, 10:50
Well the bit about the airlines arriving is absolutely true. nobody had the faintest idea what was going on, and now I understand what Hichins was on about when after landing, he drove up in a jeep and asked me WTF do you want? Um, I said, I have to pick up ladies from the hospital who are about to give birth, he looked me up and down and said, "half your luck" I found out what he meant later. He told the bloke who was driving to take myself and the other pilot over to a hanger that was still standing and give us a cup of tea. I liked the bloke immediately, and we became firm friends in later years. Trying to cordinate the impossible was a big ask for Hitchens, especially as he had been overlooked for Stretton, which had to be political, but I don't think he took any notice just kept directing traffic, and probably did most of the work himself if the truth be known. The right man at the right time I imagine.

Fris B. Fairing
31st Jan 2012, 05:24
Folks

Can we please spread the word that we need more input from Team Ansett.

An Ansett memo states that Ansett and MMA combined operated 27 relief flights out of Darwin in the period 26-29DEC.

An MMA memo states that MMA operated 13 flights in the same period.

This would indicate that Ansett operated 14 flights of which we have accounted for only 5 (6 if we include 1 Electra freighter). Hopefully the information is out there somewhere.

Rgds

Old Fella
1st Feb 2012, 00:57
FA, I think Trashies answer to your question was probably saying that his Co-Pilot was "Trackless" The Plt Off O'Meagher shown on the Pax Info sheet which was scanned would have been "Omega" John C O'Meagher. My first logged flight with John as a Captain was on 6thFeb1976 by which time he was a Flying Officer. The sectors were RIC-AMB-DN for a night stop before returning DN-AMB-RIC on 7thFeb1976. Don't know where John is now, last I knew he was a B747 Captain with Cathay.

Capnikki
2nd Feb 2012, 03:42
Ask & ye shall receive!

NB. All this below, originated from a query to me about who was first into Darwin after Cyclone Tracy.
The quote in the book I FLEW FOR MMA"(P. 257-9), about the first Jet in being an MMA F.28, was given to me by:-
A) Captain Rodney Kralert "whose Flight it was".
B) Probably by Captain S.J. (Syd) Goddard, probably at a Retired Pilots Meeting which I annotated as 13-7-1994, when I was still writing/researching the book.
I contacted Rodney on 19-3-2000, and he looked up his Log Book for me.
He states that it was his and Lindsay Allen’s rostered flight ex Perth to Darwin, Flight 1492, VH-FKB, which left early (usually 0600W), on the 26th December 1974. Obviously, in view of what was about to happen, Captain Goddard joined them, to make it a three crew flight, and therefore a longer duty period (14 hours instead of 11), and also, as Flight Manager, to oversee the whole operation and be able to plan further operations.
The whole flight took around five hours flying, but "we battled all day to get there, as we were stuffed about at Kununurra, awaiting permission from Canberra to enter the disaster area". They were then ordered to offload all the passengers FOR Darwin in Kununurra, as any more people entering would only make the situation worse. (Apparently some of them owned fishing boats there and were most irate at being denied entry).
"Lindsay and I were sorting out all the paperwork and Syd was ringing MMA in Perth and MMA was trying to ring Canberra, and we couldn’t get a decision.
And all of a sudden we got an order to leave all passengers in Kununurra. There was an enormous push not to bring any passengers into Darwin, unless they were Salvation Army - and those sort of people.
The passengers were pestering us, and I said, "Look, we are in the worst time of the year (Xmas Day + the Cyclonic weather), all the heads of Departments are away and the number two or three didn’t want to make a decision - would rather say no, than make a decision and put his foot in it. Just like all Govt. Departments".
After this delay, they finally arrived in Darwin as Flight 1492.
"We were definitely the first MMA Flight in". Rodney cannot remember seeing any other aeroplanes when they got there - probably overwhelmed by the damage to our beautiful Port - but remembers seeing other crews there when they were leaving.
"From Darwin, we went as passengers to Kununurra, with Captain Ray Brindley and F/O Alex Henry crewing the southbound flight, and Lindsay Allen and I got off there and Syd Goddard continued on, back to Perth".
(This was probably Flt. 1493 - even numbers Northbound and odd numbers Southbound - with the ‘1' signifying a Schedule change) and Goddard, the Flight Manager, went straight back to Perth to report the situation to MMA Operations and co-ordinate the future rescue missions.)
(Brindley and Henry are mentioned on Page 258 and 259 of "IFFMMA"!)
Rodney "had a free day in Kununurra, then on the 28th, we went Kununurra-Darwin, Flt. 492, then Darwin-Kununurra-Newman-Perth, Flight No. 493, VH-FKB, with another load. We were heavily loaded, so had to land at Newman to refuel. At Newman all the Mums with babies got off the aeroplane and washed their babies bums on the lawn in front of the terminal. The Newman women were very helpful to the evacuees and brought out nappies for the mothers". - ( so many people on one aeroplane would have severely taxed the facility of the one small on board toilet!).
So, It looks as though the first a/c arrived in Darwin on Boxing Day, as the Eye went over Darwin early on Xmas Day, news didn’t leak out for a while, and Major-General Stretton reached Darwin by VIP jet that night, after which he ordered the evacuation.
The regular flight ex Perth, at say, 0600 WST, went via Pt Hedland-Broome-Derby-Kununurra to Darwin and took around 5.05 flying time.
+ 20 minutes on the ground at each Port, 4 x 20min = 1.20 = say 6 hrs 30 minutes.
0600 departure + 6.30 = 1230 WST +add 1.30 time change = 1400 CST arrival Darwin.
So they were obviously much later than that due to the delays (as above), at Kununurra.

Re Of Captain Goddard - I contacted him recently (on 20-1- 2012) for his Log Book details.
Memory dim after some 37 years, but he did have the above details, such as crewing up with Rodney Kralert & Lindsay Allen in FKB on Flt 1492/3 with 5.00 hrs day and 4.55 night. (Perth - Darwin - Perth.)
He recalls that at Kununurra northbound "they were held on the ground for about two hours while they cleared the runway at Darwin before being given approval to proceed".
That's all he remembers!
Ansett historian Fred Niven, in his excellent DVD "Airlines & Aircraft of the Ansett Group 1921 - 2002, records:-
Quote:- Captain Harold Rowell. After Cyclone Tracy in 1974, he flew 96 passengers out of Darwin in a 60-seat Fokker F28 Mk.1000.
From 24 December, 1974, MacRobertson Miller Airline Services greatly assisted in the evacuation of Darwin, after Cyclone Tracy. One F28 carried 128 people, with most evacuation flights carrying around 80. MMA carried 1,250 people out of Darwin in 4 days. Unquote.
MMA's F.28s kept up a continuous shuttle to Kununurra, and Graham Hewitt with his F/O, Rob McMillan, went in on the 26th. He recalls that as all the Darwin Navaids were inoperative, they had to fly across from Kununurra to Katherine and then backtrack into Darwin on the Katherine navaids, also identifying the Darwin coastal area on the aircraft's radar. They had to let down through the continuing murk left over from the cyclone and broke visual at 800ft. He found thousands of people just milling around, totally confused, and realised it was a total crisis.
The evacuation was picking up speed and Graham took off with adults and children doubled up for a total of 115 people in a 60 seater, and 2000kgs overweight. "What amazed me" he relates, "was that the F.28 ripped off the ground just the same as always, flew like a dream and apart from adding a few knots to the bug speed at Kununurra, it handled no differently from normal". After slipping for the night at Kununurra, he took over an evacuee flight for Perth. Landing at Newman for fuel, he was amazed when "All the Ladies of Newman came out with cups of tea, coffee and sandwiches in the middle of the night - an unbelievable spread for these poor buggers who were still in a state of shock - they were absolutely marvellous".

Fris B. Fairing
23rd Mar 2012, 07:30
As information has dried up, it may be an appropriate time to draw a line under this project. Accordingly, all the files are now hosted on the website of the Queensland Air Museum (http://www.qam.com.au/papers/tracy/tracy.htm)

This has the added advantage that the QAM website is archived by the National Library of Aust which should ensure the survival of this research. Anyone using the old URL will be redirected to the QAM website. Thanks again to all who contributed. In the meantime I am still receptive to any new information.

Rgds

Fris B. Fairing
20th Apr 2012, 00:45
Earlier in this thread there was speculation that a Bristol Freighter had participated in the relief operation. This has now been confirmed to have been the Air Express B170 Mk 31 VH-TBB. It also emerged that RAF Hercules XV199 operated relief flights and one of the RAF crew has provided this photo of VH-TBB at Darwin with the familiar water tower in the background.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/VH-TBB-01.jpg

Correspondence with the photographer, Arthur Osborne, has also brought to light details of an RAF Nimrod which evacuated 38 British subjects to Singapore.

Rgds

Ken Borough
11th Jun 2012, 06:00
PPRUNERS will or should be delighted to know that Fris B Fairing in another guise has picked up a gong (OAM) in today's Queen's Birthday Honours. :D:D:D:D

Fris B. Fairing
11th Jun 2012, 06:08
Thanks Ken for your kind words. It is a matter of some amusement to me that I am being recognised for services to aviation, for it is tempting to imagine that the industry is expressing its gratitude that I never became a pilot! You don't have to fly 'em to love 'em.

Rgds

teresa green
11th Jun 2012, 06:27
Onya Frisb B, a Pruner with a gong! Well done lad!:D

stuckinthemiddle
11th Jun 2012, 13:14
A virgin poster until now, but what better way to lose it than to say congrats on your OAM. You are a record keeper extraordinaire, and I thank you for the way you apply accuracy and detail to the record of this country's diverse aviation heritage. This Tracy thread is but one example of the way you turn a germ of an idea into an authoritative chapter. Hip, hip!

nasa
12th Jun 2012, 06:23
I worked at Air Movements Amberley at the time. I was at home in a rather inebriated condition the night after it hit, when there was a knock at the door. Two rather large uniformed police officers advised that I was required back at base. I said sure, I'll just get my keys grab my car and be off....The bigger of the two looked at me and smiled and said, "Get your gear and get in the fvking car" They drove me back to base.

We worked for 10 days straight without much sleep. Loaded everything from a C141 on down. Remember clearly the Flt Lt at Air Movments at the time running smack into a set of tines on a forklift whilst we were playing volleyball in the hangar out the back during one of our rare breaks. Also recall "physically" escorting a member of the press, who took the liberty of walking behind our counter and helping himself to the phone, from the premises. MAC had a C141 being loaded with sheets of corregated iron. The iron slid off the K Loader and slammed into the bottom ramp. The USAF Pilot just said push it out of the way and I'll get another one. Walked inside picked up the phone and orderd a replacement aircraft.

Wish I could recall more finite details about aircraft, but a lot of cells have given their lives for a good cause since those days.

Old Fella
12th Jun 2012, 12:54
Congratulations Ron. Most deserved award. Always enjoy your inputs.

judge.oversteer
12th Jun 2012, 18:18
If it's RA, as i think it is, then my heartiest congrats as well.
Brgds.
JO.

clumbo45
2nd Aug 2012, 06:50
I have only just come on board but the first aircraft out of Darwn was VH-EWE crewed by Larry Olajos & John Myers, both DC3captains with their families & others to Alice Springs via Tindal.

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Aug 2012, 22:40
Hi Clumbo

Thanks for that information. Please check your private messages.

Rgds

Fris B. Fairing
1st Nov 2012, 07:38
We record the passing of Major-General Alan Bishop Stretton AO CBE, born Melbourne 30 September 1922, passed away at Batemans Bay, NSW on 26 October 2012. Maj-Gen Stretton was Director General of the National Disasters Organisation at the time of Cyclone Tracy.

RIP

Ken Borough
24th Dec 2014, 21:42
Who'd have thunk? Forty years ago today, seems like yesterday.

mmciau
24th Dec 2014, 21:52
Yes this time 40 years ago, Noel Bradford and I were in the DoNT Transport Compound on the Cnr of Bagot Road and Stuart Highway trying to find a number of Toyota Landcruisers with fuel in them so they could be used as emergency vehicles. A lot of them had not been refuelled the days before so were useless. We ended up with about 10 vehicles.

nasa
25th Dec 2014, 21:50
It was about this time 40 years ago two QLD LEOs knocked on my door and advised me my presence was required back at Airmovements Amberley, "immediately" and that I should get going. Thus began many weeks of frantic non-stop turning aircraft around, dealing with all sorts, throwing journalists out of the Front Office, watching a Flt Lt knock himself out on the tines of a forklift playing volley ball, ahhhhh, the memories :ok:

leftfrontside
28th Dec 2014, 07:31
Bit late here I know but!

Just to get your list up to date, I was the FO on an F27 evac, ferry to ASP out of ADL, full house + ASP/ADL ----- 68 POB
Ansett VH-FNU 29/12/1974

PIC asked me what our weight was - tongue in cheek reply 1kg under MTOW

0 wet T/O

Cheers.

B772
28th Dec 2014, 10:46
leftfronside.

Just as well the Capt was not Capt Zero. If you told him 1 kg over, a
kg would have been found to off load.

Good old FNU, the ex French F27.

Your 68 with a few personal effects would have been ok. Ops Engineering did all the sums for 128 on the F28-1000 and 312 on the B727-200.

Prior to Tracey the AN record on the F27 was 60 school children on a local flight at ASP with Capt Cr....... K....

I did 46 between WNY and LST due to an overbooking ex KNS.

They were the days you could do what ever you liked without any problems from the company and DCA/CASA whatever they were.

I also liked flying VFR between WNY and DPO and vv well below the LSALT over water in the Viscount and later in the F27.

Fris B. Fairing
28th Dec 2014, 20:14
leftfrontside

Many thanks for your contribution. It's never too late and I will happily add it to the list.

One of the frustrations of this project has been the lack of documentation of the Ansett contribution to the evacuation. Any others out there?

Rgds

kmx
29th Dec 2014, 03:57
Hello all,

I'm a bit new to this pprune stuff, but I'm wondering if anybody here know of any pilots that were stationed in DRW at the time of Tracy?

I am looking to get the story of their wives living through the cyclone.

I'd be very grateful if anybody know how to find Arthur Reddicks family also.

Kind regards

Kathy

dubbleyew eight
29th Dec 2014, 15:48
Graeme Hewitt, one of the first pilots to fly into Darwin after Tracy, sadly died in Perth about 5 days ago.

W8

Stationair8
1st Jan 2015, 20:45
After Cyclone Tracy, which GA companies got up and running and serviced the remote communities?

Stanwell
2nd Jan 2015, 01:59
Fris B,
There's a website called "Spirits of Ansett".
While there's nothing to do with 'Tracy' on there that I'd noticed, a question on there could produce some results for you.

F.Nose
2nd Jan 2015, 12:11
That is sad news about Graeme Hewitt....Hells Teeth! A true gentleman. Do you have any details Dubbleyew eight?

Rin tin tin
3rd Jan 2015, 01:01
Anderson/ Bardsley were one of the MMA F28 crews , not sure of the exact date.

Fris B. Fairing
13th Jan 2015, 06:07
Folks

I am receiving a few PMs with additional relief flights and while this is most appreciated, I really need a name to "validate" the claim. To avoid exposing your identity, it is preferable that you send me an email via my profile. This way I can also give credit where credit is due.

Rgds

bob_bowne
21st Mar 2015, 12:23
I have only recently found this thread, I don't often visit Prune these days. I checked my old old log book and noted that I was a first officer with Bob Forman the Captain on a Connair Heron VH-CLX that departed Alice Springs late on Christmas day dropped into Tennant Creek for Police Uniforms and equipment and arrived in Darwin just after dawn on the 26th of December.

We spent a few days evacuating indigenous people to Bathurst Island and my log book says I flew VH-CLT with Bob Bennett back to Alice Springs

There was a second heron that departed Alice about the same time, VH-CLV and it went via Katherine, they arrived in Darwin before us I believe, this was crewed by Captain Bob Bennett and FO Mark Rindfleish (later Ansett DFO and Jetstar Chief Pilot)

The RAAF tower was back in operation by the time we arrived, and most GA aircraft had already been bulldozed into a drainage ditch to clear the apron.

pithblot
22nd Mar 2015, 01:13
I am not able to verify this, but I have a feeling Hank Van Der Maas and George Washington did some of the early Connair DC3 flights into Darwin after Tracey (not, as crew together).

clumbo45
23rd Mar 2015, 01:15
KMX. I was in Darwin as a DC3 Connair Captain & lived with my wife & children there when cyclone came. If you are still looking for wives to talk to she would be happy to talk to you.

clumbo45
23rd Mar 2015, 01:19
They were 2 of the DC3 pilots who flew in & out of Darwin after Tracy along with Christine Davy, David Frederiksen, John Myers, Tim Georgetti, John Hansen, Larry Olajos, Bruce MacRae, Peter Nairn, Howard Raven to name a few.

airspace alpha
23rd Mar 2015, 01:50
Slight thread drift I know, but I thought you would like another quote from that wonderful book “Beyond the Blue Horizon” by Guardian journalist Alexander Frater, that documented his attempt to retrace the original 1930’s Imperial Airways route from London to Brisbane in 1983. Here we have him in Darwin and talking to “Ossie” Osgood, owner of Arnhem Air Charter, on Cyclone Tracy:

“I lost one of my engineers that night- his house fell on him. When they found him he was holding his dead baby in his arms. Things were pretty bad at the airport too. All my aircraft were wrecked. One finished up on top of a Friendship and another screwed its tail through the hangar wall. After the storms the looters came. You wouldn’t credit what they stole. I walked around with a pistol in my pocket and slept on a camp bed with an M16 beside me.

Gough Whitlam declared us a national emergency and ordered that all available resources be poured into Darwin. The only thing he hadn’t reckoned on were the civil servants. I went and told them I’d lost my roof and needed some tarpaulins. But they didn’t give me tarpaulins, what they gave me were forms! Forms! It was their finest hour. Then, one sunny day long after Tracy was just a bad memory, a truck pulled up outside and the driver said “Mr Osgood, here are the tarpaulins you indented for- Can you sign here, here, here and here.””

Fris B. Fairing
1st Apr 2015, 04:23
Thanks everyone for these contributions.

Bob and Clumbo please check your PMs.

Rgds

LeadSled
1st Apr 2015, 14:36
Folks,
Not sure if it is mentioned in any of the posts, but the first QF B707 out of Sydney broke the curfew in Sydney. Qantas Ops made application to the Minister (the only person who could authorise the exemption, Mrs. Jones' wonderful son, Charlie) but the exemption was refused, but the Minister's determination was ignored, and the aircraft left anyway.
Sadly, the executive who took this humanitarian decision "took early retirement" soon after, as a result of pressure from Canberra.
To Charlie, Labor votes in Sydney were more important than an emergency in Darwin.
Tootle pip!!

PS: That aircraft took a bunch of HF and VHF radios and as many charged batteries as they could find around the hangars, plus an R/O and radio tec., it turned out to be a very smart move.

Mahatma Kote
6th Apr 2015, 12:38
Various sources report a single Qantas 747 flight carried 673 people on a flight out of Darwin in 1974.

Asides from the regulatory problems of overloading, is this the single biggest airlift in 747 history?

ACMS
6th Apr 2015, 12:54
It wouldn't have been above MTOW anyway.....

I suggest you read this forum

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/473329-cyclone-tracy-1974-a.html

Snakecharma
6th Apr 2015, 23:01
Can you imagine the reaction these days to carrying more than the normal number of pax should the same thing happen tomorrow?

Even if they did carry the correct amount of pax if the pax were not bathed in the protective blanket provided by a yellow vest or have photo ID the world would end.

I often think we are going backwards as an industry and society....

Stationair8
7th Apr 2015, 02:36
Yep, don't forget you would also need your safe to work with children certificates!

Charlie Jones what an asset to the Australian aviation industry!

B772
7th Apr 2015, 14:06
Mahatma Kate

The biggest B747 passenger uplift that I am aware off took place on 24 May 1991 when an El Al B747 uplifted 1,122 Ethiopian Jews to Israel.

On the beach
14th Dec 2016, 20:01
I was an ATCO in the Brisbane Centre when the evacuation of Darwin commenced and apart from the communication difficulties with Mount Isa, there were several notable occurances. First was the Qantas B747 that came on frequency and had two requests. The first was for a cleaning party to meet the aircraft on arrival as they had a large number of new born babies on board but no nappies! The second request was for a representative from the Guinness Book of Records because they thought that they had just broken the record for the greatest number of passengers ever recorded on a B747. This was confirmed, but I forget the actual number.

The second occurance was the F27, can't remember if it was Ansett or TAA that was flying in with a plane load of pregnant ladies. The number of "souls on board" had to be increased at least three times during the flight as more arrivals arrived en-route.

At one point I remember 49 aircraft inbound to Brisbane when there was a request for a departure from Brisbane to Darwin with urgent medical supplies. The only available level was FL430. Luckily the aircraft was a Gulfstream and was able to accept and make the level.

Fris B. Fairing
14th Dec 2016, 21:02
On the beach

Thanks for reviving this dormant thread.

The full story of the TAA F27 loaded with new-borns can be read at this link.

First In (http://www.adastron.com/cyclone-tracy/Ray-Vuillermin.pdf)

The Gulfstream II would have been Associated Airlines' VH-ASM which was noted in Brisbane on 27DEC74, the day before Qantas 747 VH-EBB set the pax record of 673.

The full story can be read at this link:

Aviation in the Aftermath of Cyclone Tracy (http://www.adastron.com/cyclone-tracy/tracy.htm)